Executive Replicas 2001 Space Odyssey Astronauts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm all for supporting smaller companies --BUT - the Keir Dullea looks like a photoshop sculpt. And those suits definitely look like Twinch Squad suits, which were just sold for about $550 each last year through Monsters in Motion - probably by the same guy who ripped off hundreds of people a few years ago.
I carefully compared the new Executive version with the ones from Spain: They're completely different. The small suit details on the new version are MUCH more screen-accurate, and the stitching, seams, and overall body fit are a hundred times better. The Keir Dullea sculpt isn't bad, but the Gary Lockwood looks pretty poor. I pre-ordered the red Dave Bowman today from MonsterInMotion. They are very flexible about making personal payment arrangements. After you pay the deposit, you can 'pay as you go'.

I've been planning to do a custom-made 'Moonwatcher' hominid figure (complete with full body hair, bone-in-hand, and opening mouth feature) for many years; this Dave Bowman figure is just push I needed to finally do it. They'll be a great pair on the shelf.

Compare the two versions:
tflockj.jpg

Last edited:
--

If I'm not mistaken, you pay full MSRP.

Have you considered shopping around to see if any other 1:6 retailers will be carrying them a bit less than MSRP?

Yes I did - but thanks for the suggestion. The only other store besides MiM that I found carrying these is alterego and the $380 price is the same there.

Together with the chest box decals and others, I imagine I'll charge about $20 per set. I know that sounds steep for such tiny decals, but the decal printing company I use requires a full page minimum order, and it's expensive. I'm working on the chest box images now.

Together with the chest box decals and others, I imagine I'll charge about $20 per set. I know that sounds steep for such tiny decals, but the decal printing company I use requires a full page minimum order, and it's expensive. I'm working on the chest box images now.

That's great, count me in and thanks for offering this:yess:

No problem. I actually contacted the manufacturer and asked if they wanted me to create the digital reconstructions for their figure line, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I'm hoping they will accept my offer so these details will be painted on by machine, instead of adding decals later. Either way, I'm doing the work now for both possibilities.
Here's the next image I finished reconstructing, based on the original chest box film prop:
usaa_clavius_base_insignia_by_viper - Copy.jpg

Here's the reconstruction of the front face and top of the chest box.
I did this just to nail down the relative proportions and locations of the decals.
reduced.jpg

Last edited:
No problem. I actually contacted the manufacturer and asked if they wanted me to create the digital reconstructions for their figure line, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I'm hoping they will accept my offer so these details will be painted on by machine, instead of adding decals later. Either way, I'm doing the work now for both possibilities.
Here's the next image I finished reconstructing, based on the original chest box film prop:
View attachment 161494

That would be cool if they do. As far as the Blue suit, I am wondering if you can put most 1/6 scal figures into it.....space Indy!? Anyway, it seems the Blue suit may be an exclusive as it is only available at the ER store....

Thank you both. Researching the details from the bluray is the easy part.
The hard part will be physically applying such tiny decals in their correct positions.
I am really hoping that ER gets their **** together and machine-prints the correct decals directly onto the plastic.
Even that infamous crook from Spain produced a more accurate chest box than we see in the preview photos by Executive Replicas, so I'm hoping that the rough look and lack of decals will be addressed in the six or seven months before the final release. I'm going to send my new images to the company today; heck, they can use them for free.
Compare the chest box on both versions:
todosH - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you both. Researching the details from the bluray is the east part.
The hard part will be physically applying such tiny decals in their correct positions.
I am really hoping that ER gets their **** together and machine-prints the correct decals directly onto the plastic.
Even that infamous crook from Spain produced a more accurate chest box than we see in the preview photos by Executive Replicas, so I'm hoping that the rough look and lack of decals will be addressed in the six or seven months before the final release. I'm going to send my new images to the company today; heck, they can use them for free.
Compare the chest box on both versions:
View attachment 162062

I'm probably the biggest 2001 fan there is- was in process of building 1/1 replicas of the chest pack myself- your work is awesome!

Thanks spindrift! By the way <<< I >>> am the biggest 2001 fan. Sorry. :lol

Good news: I sent my images to the manufacturer; The president of Executive Replicas emailed me back only a couple hours later, and said that he wants to use my images for the final figures. That means
1) I won't have to have them printed as delicate water-slide decals,
2) they will be machine-printed directly onto the plastic,
3) I will be credited, and
4) my efforts will be rewarded with a free blue suit, the other one that I wanted. (I pre-ordered the red Dave Bowman already)

:yess:

Back