DX vs MMS /// Which do you prefer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think of the independently moveable eyes? I have Hulk and his eyes look great but he's not exactly a human sculpt. You can't really judge what that same system would look like on a small human headsculpt. Obviously you'd still have annoying, ugly access panels but I wonder would the frontal view of the eyes be any better. I'm thinking not. Least I don't see why the aesthetics would be improved.

A joystick for each eye is the way to go, for me. I've said this a few times. No wonky eyes, less complicated, and it'd be easier to fix if it did end up breaking -less invasive.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

It makes no difference to me. As long as the figure looks great, it really doesn't matter if the eyes can move or not. That's pretty much what a DX is, a figure with movable eyes, that's it. Regular MMS figures can come with lots of accessories, nice boxes, and multiple head sculpts too.

Err...the Wayne head didn't have PERS to my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong. And the batman headsculpt which did have PERS was awful.

Nah, MMS all the way. DX was fun for awhile but PERS is ****ing up (or at least hampering) too many headsculpts, making them too toy-like.

Have you seen the MMS DK batman and joker???? The head sculpts on the DX series is FAR superior. There's a good reason when the DX series came out for both of those that people basically had a fire sale on the MMS versions. I think the DX02, DX12, DX Joker 2.0, DX09 and the Nicholson Batman speak for themselves. But hey it's a matter of opinion. Good thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

This is probably the best use of PERS yet.

I agree 100%. I ended up going with the DX02 because I wanted to match it up with my DX11 Joker in the interrogation room diorama, plus the sonar head is ******in awesome! Also the DX12 has the "goose neck" thing goin on. Also, when weighing out which would be more cost effective to customize I found that the DX12 Bale sculpt can be had for about 1/3 the price of the DX02 sonar head. When I show people pictures of the DX12 Bale sculpt they flip out at the likeness. It's absolutely insane, Yulli has once again proved superiority in the field.... The only sculptor/artist that gives her a run for her money is Rainmaker. I know it's a silly question but I wanna confirm before I buy it: I can throw the DX12 Bale sculpt on the DX02 Batman right?

It makes no difference to me. As long as the figure looks great, it really doesn't matter if the eyes can move or not. That's pretty much what a DX is, a figure with movable eyes, that's it. Regular MMS figures can come with lots of accessories, nice boxes, and multiple head sculpts too.

First of all kudo's for your username and picture. I am one of the biggest Joker freaks on the planet and in my opinion (and I think most can agree) the joker is hands down the greatest villain ever. Now back to the matter at hand. I found with the Vito Corleone MMS it's one of the better head sculpts I've seen. However when you look at the Batman/Joker figs the MMS67 and 71 are FAR inferior to the DX02/DX12 Batman's, and the DX11 (Joker 2.0) is hands down the most accurate DK Joker head sculpt.

Basically, this thread is "Do you like PERS or not?" cause to most people, that's the only difference. DX is supposed to be for Iconic characters. It was supposed to have more goodies too than your average MMS, but it's hard to argue that point with the DX14 having nothing extra other than hands and a tiny backdrop.

Have you seen the MMS DK batman and joker???? The head sculpts on the DX series is FAR superior.

The have potential but the PERS ruins the likeness. I prefer the MMS71 cowl because it doesn't have bug eyes but it still has that big jaw comic book hero look the DX12 looks and thus, looks nothing like Bale. However, it doesn't look stupid looking with big bug eyes.

Also the eyes on the DX11 are still too big but that isn't noticeable because they set back into the cowl which ruined the likeness if you tilt the head down because Ledger's eyes were not deep set with the shape of the bone covering them. However, on some angles it can look fine.

There's a good reason when the DX series came out for both of those that people basically had a fire sale on the MMS versions. I think the DX02, DX12, DX Joker 2.0, DX09 and the Nicholson Batman speak for themselves. But hey it's a matter of opinion. Good thread Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Other than how fake DX09 eyes look, I must admit the eyes look like they are the right size. I can't say the same for the rest of your DXs you mentioned though. The DX12 is known to be one of the wost cowls hence, why there are so many mods for it and why Hot Toys improved their cowl for the 1/4 scale one by abandoning the PERS and replacing it with ERS.

I agree 100%. I ended up going with the DX02 because I wanted to match it up with my DX11 Joker in the interrogation room diorama, plus the sonar head is ******in awesome! Also the DX12 has the "goose neck" thing goin on. Also, when weighing out which would be more cost effective to customize I found that the DX12 Bale sculpt can be had for about 1/3 the price of the DX02 sonar head. When I show people pictures of the DX12 Bale sculpt they flip out at the likeness. It's absolutely insane, Yulli has once again proved superiority in the field.... The only sculptor/artist that gives her a run for her money is Rainmaker. I know it's a silly question but I wanna confirm before I buy it: I can throw the DX12 Bale sculpt on the DX02 Batman right?

Yulli didn't sculpt DX02 or DX12 Kojun did. Most of Yullis sculpts look like cartoon characters which is why I can't see how she managed to nail Cavill from MOS. Looks nothing like her style.

Now back to the matter at hand. I found with the Vito Corleone MMS it's one of the better head sculpts I've seen. However when you look at the Batman/Joker figs the MMS67 and 71 are FAR inferior to the DX02/DX12 Batman's, and the DX11 (Joker 2.0) is hands down the most accurate DK Joker head sculpt.

All I can say to that is at least the MMS71 doesn't look like a frog, I agree with all the rest that you have said though.

I dig both, as long as they're handled tastefully & they're characters I really want. :)

I agree completely.

I feel PERS has ruined a few figures, and I feel they have worked on a few figures. It's gotten better, but I feel PERS still has a way to go.

I do still feel today that DX on average has more accessories than your average MMS.

Which ones do you think look most cartoonish?

Her Bale, hence why they got Kojun to take over. All her Jokers, including her 89 Joker (except Bank Robber one), Her T2 Arnold, her Bruce Lees. I don't know there are too many to mention. I can usually tell something that Yulli has sculpted.

Ok, I have to disagree on a few of them. I can't comment on the Bale ones, cause I only have DX12. The T2 one looks a little exaggerated, but I like it more than DX10. I really like the T1 t-800 she did, and dutch. However the paint they used on Dutch hasn't aged well in my opinion.

It's hard for me too look at the Joker's and say they look cartoonish cause they are wearing clown make-up. BRJ is an underrated sculpt in my opinion. I don't have a DX01 yet, but based on the pictures I've seen the PERS ruins it a little. They Joker Sculpts have actually gotten better over time in my opinion. I'm curious to see how Mime Joker looks in hand.

Ok, I have to disagree on a few of them. I can't comment on the Bale ones, cause I only have DX12. The T2 one looks a little exaggerated, but I like it more than DX10. I really like the T1 t-800 she did, and dutch. However the paint they used on Dutch hasn't aged well in my opinion.

Well we can't agree on everything and I think the T-800 was quite good but most of her ones look kinda cartoony. Yeah the DX10 looks like James Dean whereas the T2 IMO looks like Arnold just a little exaggerated like you said. Yeah Dutch is not too bad.

It's hard for me too look at the Joker's and say they look cartoonish cause they are wearing clown make-up. BRJ is an underrated sculpt in my opinion. I don't have a DX01 yet, but based on the pictures I've seen the PERS ruins it a little. They Joker Sculpts have actually gotten better over time in my opinion. I'm curious to see how Mime Joker looks in hand.

Yeah I thought the BRJ sculpt was real when they first showed it because it looks like Ledger on angles (but only on angles).

The Mime Joker looks like Jack as he appeared in the 89 Batman film with the fat face, unlike the skinny face on the DX09. I don't think PERS would ruin the likeness on either one of those.

Well we can't agree on everything and I think the T-800 was quite good but most of her ones look kinda cartoony. Yeah the DX10 looks like James Dean whereas the T2 IMO looks like Arnold just a little exaggerated like you said. Yeah Dutch is not too bad.

Yeah I thought the BRJ sculpt was real when they first showed it because it looks like Ledger on angles (but only on angles).

The Mime Joker looks like Jack as he appeared in the 89 Batman film with the fat face, unlike the skinny face on the DX09. I don't think PERS would ruin the likeness on either one of those.

LOL, I never thought James Dean on DX10 before, now I can see it. The DX08 is still on my to by list so I can't really argue that one until I have it in hand. The Uncle Bingo Version(DX14) Does look pretty good. We'll see how it turns out during the production run

First of all kudo's for your username and picture. I am one of the biggest Joker freaks on the planet and in my opinion (and I think most can agree) the joker is hands down the greatest villain ever. Now back to the matter at hand. I found with the Vito Corleone MMS it's one of the better head sculpts I've seen. However when you look at the Batman/Joker figs the MMS67 and 71 are FAR inferior to the DX02/DX12 Batman's, and the DX11 (Joker 2.0) is hands down the most accurate DK Joker head sculpt.

Thanks. He's my favorite villain :hi5:

LOL, I never thought James Dean on DX10 before, now I can see it. The DX08 is still on my to by list so I can't really argue that one until I have it in hand. The Uncle Bingo Version(DX14) Does look pretty good. We'll see how it turns out during the production run

I think the DX10 look ok with glasses on, but his face is very undeveloped and boyish looking like James Dean, whereas Arnold's face is very masculine. The DX08 is a great looking figure but the eyes look very toyish IMO because its so obvious they are plastic. Nevertheless, it does not ruin the likeness one bit. Same goes for the DX14, PERS does not have seen to ruin the likeness on this one either but the eyes look fake as they look plastic looking and the Iris's have very simple sun unrealistic pattern like all DXs. I wish Hot Toys would either paint the eyes or use glass eyes! :gah:

I think the DX10 look ok with glasses on, but his face is very undeveloped and boyish looking like James Dean, whereas Arnold's face is very masculine. The DX08 is a great looking figure but the eyes look very toyish IMO because its so obvious they are plastic. Nevertheless, it does not ruin the likeness one bit. Same goes for the DX14, PERS does not have seen to ruin the likeness on this one either but the eyes look fake as they look plastic looking and the Iris's have very simple sun unrealistic pattern like all DXs. I wish Hot Toys would either paint the eyes or use glass eyes! :gah:

They look like Sun rays or something on the eyes.. However you can only see them if you are looking really up close.

Sunbursts. That's exactly what it looks like. But only in high resolution pics or of you're looking for it.

Sunbursts. That's exactly what it looks like. But only in high resolution pics or of you're looking for it.

Yeah not really noticeable on 1/6th figures from a normal distance but if they continue this trend with 1/4 scale ones then they will be very noticeable on them. :(

No wonder I'm always in a better mood after I stare at my hot toys.

:lol

Back