Do You Consider Collecting An Investment?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot toys will never lose their collector's value.

Mego and Kenner and the toys of old have nostalgia driving them. That is why they are in demand and can command high dollar.

Modern stuff like Hot Toys don't. Mostly driven by what his "hot" right now.

Plus those old figures were sold as toys and were played with and destroyed by children. Not a lot of that stuff survived.

These are sold as collectibles, so they will be readily available in largely mint condition. Long term, this stuff won't be worth shat. Face it.

Things sold as collectibles never really become collectibles. The bottom will fall out just like baseball cards and comics.

Mego and Kenner and the toys of old have nostalgia driving them. That is why they are in demand and can command high dollar.

Modern stuff like Hot Toys don't. Mostly driven by what his "hot" right now.

If it is out there,some one collects it and Hot Toys will always be collected. Now they don't really have the advantage vintage toys have where as all the adult collectors want to buy back the stuff they had as kids but Hot Toys produces great stuff that I think will always be collectible and hold value.

If that is what you think, why start a thread?

If that is what you think, why start a thread?

To discuss the topic,get other peoples opinions and input,you know all the reasons why people create threads?

So are the 10+ HotToys I have in my display cabinet plus the 5 I have on pre-order about to be worthless and I should just sell them on ebay to buy some crappy poorly made Mego or Kenner figure? What do you think about high end collectibles like Hot toys?
Thread merged with the existing one on your collection value/worth/investment discussion.
x

I think the Toy Investment Bubble burst about three years ago. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule, but most figures have not really fluctuated beyond their retail price, which itself has ballooned remarkably! When you bought your Jedi Luke for $45, complained about buying Bespin Han for $50, and swallowed the Emperor's $90 price tag, did you ever thing you'd be paying $300 for a Bespin Luke?
I only get what I love.
I only keep the box if I need it to keep something safe for moving (like Sweeney's chair). Otherwise, I happily chuck the box.
I don't prospect anymore. Selling off my Nazi Kroenen and Knight of Ni cured me of that.

Money spent is money gone as far as I'm concerned.

Sure some things that I purchase may happen to hold their value, or even increase long term, but I don't expect that, nor do I ever collect anything with that goal in mind.

What I buy is strictly for my own personal enjoyment, so I only buy pieces that I have some kind of personal connection to, and which owning will bring me a sliver of happiness. I'm strictly in it for the love of the game, in other words. And if I ever stop enjoying it then that is when I step away. But if that ever did happen and if I also, for whatever reason, decided to cut free completely and move on, I wouldn't expect to profit from my time spent collecting. It was never the initial goal, and I wouldn't expect it to be the ultimate destination either.

Fact is, if I wanted an investment it certainly wouldn't be sinking cash into resin, polystone and plastic, that's for sure. :lol

My view anyhow, but to each their own. :)

Last edited:
I think the Toy Investment Bubble burst about three years ago. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule, but most figures have not really fluctuated beyond their retail price, which itself has ballooned remarkably! When you bought your Jedi Luke for $45, complained about buying Bespin Han for $50, and swallowed the Emperor's $90 price tag, did you ever thing you'd be paying $300 for a Bespin Luke?
I only get what I love.

:lecture:lecture:lecture :exactly:

Except that I keep all the boxes in case I need to move, store or sell.

Ive traded many figures but never sold one... I still have every box for my Hot Toys collection... Damn boxes are starting to take up a lot of my room... LOL

I collect for the love of collecting do I think its an investment. NO but they do hold some value more than most things you would buy. Look at your phone thing is worthless in 2 years or your TV or clothes, shoes, sneakers ect. Over the years I have bought and sold collections as room has become an issue or my taste has changed.

I have to date ALWAYS gotten my money that I paid for and most of the time more and a few times a LOT more. I just sold three Michael Turner signed prints on ebay for $750.00 bought then 7 years ago for $60.00.

I have only sold for profit ONCE in my life. It was my soul of popyinca battleship yamato. I bought it a con for $150.00 I was on ebay and saw them selling for like $900.00 put it up and got $900.00 even though I still loved it. Two years ago they release a soul of chogkin battleship yamato and of course the soul of popyinca drops. I am proud to say I bought another soul of popyinca battleship yamato two weeks ago for $155.00.

Most modern collectibles though are tough the issue is when it shoots up in value the company does another run. Look at the batman tumbler, at one time was going for like 2k so they just re released it.

I buy em to put on display, as I think these are great product. So glad I decided to start buying them. I actually get excited about going these toy shops.
Prices for these go up. That's the way it is. The Tumbler (new one) is twice the retail it was now. Did I think of selling? Nah!

hmmm because of my tight finances as a student I do kinda consider them as investments. Investments in the sense that if I do need cash I can at the very least get back my principle sum.

I only buy pieces which I really love and I think will still hold its value. But I've never bought something thinking of selling it in the future for profit reasons.
Another reason I would consider them as "investments" is because people can be really judgmental about this hobby so knowing that I can easily tell them I paid 1/3 of its value or that a piece I own now goes for 4-5 times its original price justifies my hobby. (Although one could argue that we should not even have to justify our hobby in the first place, people can be really judgmental and as much as you tell yourself it doesn't matter it can get to you after a while)
My favourite example would be when a cousin of mine came to visit me, he mentioned how much money I was wasting on my collectibles. Then I just told him " Yeah you're right, I'd rather spend $15 a day on those cancer sticks you smoke than something that reminds me of my favourite movies, having a nice display and something that has already gone up in value. I mean why would I want all that when I can increase my risk of cancer?" Shut him the hell up. (I find it extremely amusing that my relatives and friends who smoke are the ones who are most judgmental of my hobby.)

I have a DX Indy for sale. MISB. Extremely desirable collectible and long sold out. Asking $650 (much cheaper than any found on ebay).

hmmm because of my tight finances as a student I do kinda consider them as investments. Investments in the sense that if I do need cash I can at the very least get back my principle sum.

I only buy pieces which I really love and I think will still hold its value. But I've never bought something thinking of selling it in the future for profit reasons.
Another reason I would consider them as "investments" is because people can be really judgmental about this hobby so knowing that I can easily tell them I paid 1/3 of its value or that a piece I own now goes for 4-5 times its original price justifies my hobby. (Although one could argue that we should not even have to justify our hobby in the first place, people can be really judgmental and as much as you tell yourself it doesn't matter it can get to you after a while)
My favourite example would be when a cousin of mine came to visit me, he mentioned how much money I was wasting on my collectibles. Then I just told him " Yeah you're right, I'd rather spend $15 a day on those cancer sticks you smoke than something that reminds me of my favourite movies, having a nice display and something that has already gone up in value. I mean why would I want all that when I can increase my risk of cancer?" Shut him the hell up. (I find it extremely amusing that my relatives and friends who smoke are the ones who are most judgmental of my hobby.)

You tell him thats the issue with collectibles people come over and say WOW look at all you spent on them. Thats because we keep them unlike anything else in society. My wife will look at and old statue and say you spent $200.00 on that. But she spends THOUSANDS on new clothes but she gets rid of them so fast you cant keep track.

Back