Do You Consider Collecting An Investment?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nice when you sell something to get a decent amount more than you paid bu i'm mostly in it for the product itself looking good on my shelf

Yeah I like to brag about how much its going for though I know I wont sell. Its just something to justify what we do but really as long as we are happy thats all that really matters

Considering some of the present value of some hottest Hot toys released in the past like Iron man, the Joker, Batman, Predators I would say it isn't a good investment at all.

With the same amount of money, you would invest in stocks, lend it out or whatever way to raise it, it will give you a good return rather than buying some figure, keep it with the hope the price will be tripled or quadrupled in 2- 3 years time. Of course, it's probably risk free investment since HT figures are always traded with premium price in the secondary market due to its nature. But really, if someone think this is a good way to make a large profit? Hell no!

Not as a way to make money, but I also haven't lost money into what I bought. Most pieces at the minimum usually hold their value so as long as I know that they don't depreciate immediately after I buy them and will be able to resell them in the future in need be, I'm fine with my collecting habit.

30327823.jpg

I collect for myself, and only the items I like and consider they will fit in my collection. Thus I rarely sold or traded anything from my collection. I keep the boxes of my items, but not for resale value, I was glad I had them when I moved 2 years ago, so you never know when needing to move again. And indeed I'm a collector not a flipper

:exactly::goodpost:

Fortunate enough that 1/6 figures can be sold for almost the same price as the original MSRP but no, I do not consider collecting an investment.

I collect what I like. I've sold stuff in the past, mainly because my tastes have changed or to acquire another piece that I like more. I generally make back what I spent, sometimes a little extra. I wouldn't call my collection an investment, but I do know that if I ever got into a bind, I'd have it to fall back on. I'm hoping this never happens though because I'm happy with all the pieces I've acquired through the years.

I don't consider my collection an investment. I prefer to call it as my hobby or interest on pop culture. I can personally say that my collection is mine to keep and not to turn and sell, especially on grail pieces that I own. :)

Not in the traditional sense. I'm very selective though. But I don't collect anything that I can't turn for at least what I paid for it if I ever got into a real pinch and had to. Though I only buy things I have a real passion for so there's a good chance I'd be living under the bridge with my collection before I let it go. :wink1:

Last edited:
I used to until hot toys did remakes and 2.0 versions. I used to be able to trade up for newer figures but I can't anymore. It was a good feeling when your figures or statue gain value. Even though your not selling it.

Well,if I sold all my Hot Toys now Id be $16,300 better off-which does make you think.I ve been collecting since 2006 and bought them as they came out.

Hello
At one time i did think of it as an investment.
But as for some pieces i had i wish i would of kept them ,But then again i am glad i let them go.It has been a fun experience collecting this stuff..
the 12 inch world has grown over the years.better like involved and just got better.

I don't really think of my collectibles that way. It's nice to know my collection may be worth something in future but I collect for that special feeling that comes with a package arriving on my doorstep, unwrapping and opening, then being able to display and play with my pieces. Don't think I could ever part with my collectibles.

They are an investment, but investment for me is not in regards to money but more of a tribute to old and new movies. My collection is something that will be passed on to my kids and there kids for them to enjoy. I do not collect to later sell them when I'm old to make few bucks. That's what here in Canada we do RSP's investments.

I never collect with the intent to sell down the road. I collect because I enjoy the figures I buy. I never make a purchase on the basis of "oh this might be worth XXX.XX amount of dollars in 20 years". It may be an investment, it may not, however it's really pretty irrelevant to me. I buy them because I want them, not because I want to sell them or make money off them.

Back