Do You Consider Collecting An Investment?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MmmK, seems like everybody is on the same page for 5 pages now. With a couple of exceptions nobody collects for investment per se, though the happy upshot of this hobby is that many figures will actually present a decent return on the MSRP outlay if and when it comes time to sell them. *yawn

Never. I'll just be heartbroken when the value sinks. I just see it as a hobby. If that dreadful day comes where I have to part ways I do not mind losing a fraction or at least breaking even.

MmmK, seems like everybody is on the same page for 5 pages now. With a couple of exceptions nobody collects for investment per se, though the happy upshot of this hobby is that many figures will actually present a decent return on the MSRP outlay if and when it comes time to sell them. *yawn

I think half the "No's" are BS b/c no one would take less than what THEY thought was market value if they went to sell an item. How many of the no's would sell back a piece for retail value just b/c they don't care about the investment? Not many. :cuckoo:

The lack of a deposit and people ordering and canceling are why you can still get most of the Disney PF exclusives from SSC. They overproduced because of speculators.

What happened with the low ES on Rocketeer PF EX and it getting sold out and now available again? People cancel after in hand pics? I still read more posts loving that statue than dissing it.

What happened with the low ES on Rocketeer PF EX and it getting sold out and now available again? People cancel after in hand pics? I still read more posts loving that statue than dissing it.

Nothing is... even real estate goes down. And depending how stable the banks are, same could be said about those mutual funds. Everything has a life span. Some things go up. Then they go down. I can see a lot of those HT figures going down, and then rising again in another 30+ years.

It's only an investment depending on the demand and the supply of the piece. If demand is high and the supply is low, then you have a solid investment. Screw long term. It's like the housing market was in the US. It's forever changing. Of course property values may rise again, and once the demand on some of those collectibles go down, as to will the value. Guess if one is a capitalist, and wishes to attack their collectibles as investments, they should treat those collectibles as stocks. Know when to buy and when to sell. Don't hold onto a piece just because it commands a grand (like the Mark 1), sell it since you'll never see that kind of money again for that piece. Just remember, that was a 200 dollar figure in 2009. That was only 2 years ago. Anything that goes up that fast, must eventually go down.

So in the end it comes down to what's more important to you? Owning that piece or making a 600+ dollar profit on it? So in the end you're either a collector and/or a hoarder of a bunch of items or you're a capitalist and you turn a profit on your stuff.

So baring time constraints on these items, the supply and demand on them, and a little bit of other fortunate circumstances... some of these items can be good investments. Just that, the work involved selling them to the right buyer can be quite difficult, and there are potential issues that could arise. So while sometimes they can be good investments, is it worth the headache and pain of getting top dollar for them? Your stuff is only worth as much as what someone is willing to give. I always tell people my T-800 Arnold 1:1 bust goes for 1,500-2,000. So they say, until you sell it or find that buyer, it's only worth so much. Meaning it's not worth 1,500-2,000 as of right now just sitting in my collection collecting dust. I wonder if dust is a good investment? Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Nope...I just hope that if I ever sell anything, I get my money back....which doesn't happen as often as I would like. :lol I apparently collect all the wrong things.

This is MY problem. I collect all these pieces (only for my enjoyment) but none of them are worth much. But I say no to pieces that actually have a good turn around value. I'm not sure why I can't pick/choose em!

This is MY problem. I collect all these pieces (only for my enjoyment) but none of them are worth much. But I say no to pieces that actually have a good turn around value. I'm not sure why I can't pick/choose em!

I have the Predator LSB on preorder. That is a good investment within a 3 year period as I know it will command top dollar within that period. Just being a very nicely done piece and the fact it's of the original Predator tells me it will. History tells us that since 2005, most high end Predator collectibles go up. Then I also have the Captain Hook PF on order. Great character and amazing statue, but will it be worth the sticker price I will pay for it. Kind of like my Rocketeer PF ex. Another great character and piece, but if I turned around and sold it today.... Not going to get my money back on it. So no capitalist here. I would go after the obvious profit gainers. Anything that has a huge demand right now and that there isn't a whole lot of. Unfortunately for me I am a sucky capitalist. I collect too much stuff that isn't desirable enough to be worth more into the future. So perhaps, the smart thing to do would be cancel the Hook and wait to get it at a reduced price. ;)

The lack of a deposit and people ordering and canceling are why you can still get most of the Disney PF exclusives from SSC. They overproduced because of speculators.

Yeah, it has nothing at all to do with them not pushing them in the proper market. :wink1:

If they put Sideshow pieces in the park and retail stores, they'd fly off the shelves.

As others have said, it's not some huge profit margin. HTs usually keep their price pretty good, but thats about all you can rely on. You just have to be smart. But even then, you're making a small profit on each figure, which is better than nothing. But it's not like you're making hundreds on every single figure.

When I was younger I used to collect a lot in hopes of selling later for a nice profit. Well, I don't do that anymore. After losing money on Spawn, 90's Star Wars figures and Toy Biz X-Men that put a stop to that. Now I only collect what I like and what I want to keep.

No.

There is no point if thats why you are in it. If that really is your game go see a financial advisor.

Can't really consider it an investment when it starts to detiorate after 3 years.

It just depends on the collection. if you got like the guy from 40 year old virgin? then definetly.

you got me thinkin about mine now. i have the RAH of MGS3 and 4 in the 1st edition, they my be more than what i paid then but wil they in the future? i guess it depends on the fans

Besides croc cap Snake, the value of the MGS 3 figures have fallen like a rock, and I often see them selling for well below $200 US these days. From what I've read on these boards for the past few years of being a member, collectors care less about buying something 'original', and more about buying something with quality. That said, when Hot Toys releases their MGS 3 line you can expect that the interest in these figures will drop even more. It's nice that you like your Medi Snakes, but just don't look at them as being an investment, in my opinion.

Hot toys will never lose their collector's value.

I've heard people say they will become basically worthless because they are "meant" to be collected and to me that is a pretty stupid analogy. Ok maybe if we are talking about collector's editions of some book of stamps down at the post office or NFL pen or some mass produced crap like that but Hot toys are different.
Yes they have been making more of them than usual but numbers are still just a tiny fraction of how many of something NECA,Hasbro.etc pumps out of their factories everyday.

I really do think the 1:6 scale market is here to stay and Hot Toys will always be a contender in this market and new collectors will want the older pieces.
So are the 10+ HotToys I have in my display cabinet plus the 5 I have on pre-order about to be worthless and I should just sell them on ebay to buy some crappy poorly made Mego or Kenner figure? What do you think about high end collectibles like Hot toys?

Back