Do mods overstep here?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KitFisto

Super Freak
Reaction score
As of late it seems that mods are closing threads and deleting posts left and right.....even ones that have not descended into name calling.

People can't even have a discussion or disagreement on an issue that doesn't involve the angle of Boba Fett's helmet lines without it being deleted.

If that's the case why even have an "other" topics section? Isn't that where people can discuss world events and have discussion's and disagreements? Seems as if the mods ( some ) have a royal hard on for deleting anything they don't personally agree with.

Either allow "other" topics to be discussed or even argued or delete the section.

Flame away.

Especially notice Scot is always locking threads, rather then actually moderating. There is a differance between cleaning up the mess way after its been made and actually stepping in as it's happening. I tend to see most mods more as janitors.

Sorry but its true, theres just little moderation and mostly damage control.

You guys dont know heavy moddin unless you've been to Superhero Hype.

I got banned for says "Resident Evil 4 will suck....but man, it's gonna be FUN!"

But...iI can see it being a little bit of overstepping.

Yea but thats not modding either, thats abuse.

You can't blame all the mods, especially when you've been doing it 4-5 years on the same forum, I'm sure it becomes easier to lock a thread then deal with 3-4 people knocking it off topic, but thats not being a moderator, it's being lazy and you should probably deligate it to other mods.

I can safely say it's a duty I'd never want to have to deal with so I'm sure they also have to feel that way at times.

I don't know examples in reference here, but let me just say that in my relatively limited experience, mod work is much easier to criticize than it is to actually perform. Most situations aren't clear cut--What is an offensive insult vs. a good natured jab? When has a thread gone too far off-topic? When has someone been warned enough that an infraction is in order? When has a thread been cleaned up enough times and when have enough unheeded warnings gone out that it just needs to be closed?

And of course, for every action you take, some will be happy with the results, and others will be pissed. It is often a damned-if-you-do, damnd-if-you-don't situation, but we are all trying to moderate in a manner that lets board activity function relatively smoothly and relatively peacefully, in the manner that Dave wants us to.

It is often a damned-if-you-do, damnd-if-you-don't situation,.

This is my point and often why, and no offense, but a long term well liked member, usually makes a poor mod. You can't really worry about if people are still going to like you and make a balanced decision.

well I've seen mods that don't do anything at all on here. Even when name calling and such gets out of hand, some don't do anything, so for the most part, some do a fine job.

Instead of locking threads they could just ban Kitfisto and Badmoon, then they wont have to lock anymore threads.

Its a win win.

And of course, for every action you take, some will be happy with the results, and others will be pissed. It is often a damned-if-you-do, damnd-if-you-don't situation, but we are all trying to moderate in a manner that lets board activity function relatively smoothly and relatively peacefully, in the manner that Dave wants us to.
:exactly: :goodpost:

Another thing that you also have to consider is there are what, 4 or 5 mods (max) in the busier sections like Marvel, and there are over 10k members here.
So we don't see everything as it is happening, that's why we encourage peeps to use the reported posts function if/when things are happening.
So sometimes we can intervene if something is going on (not that we should have as people can control themselves but some just choose not to) and sometimes we can just step in after something has started and clean up.

As for the OT section, some threads are started for political religious debates which are discouraged here and never end well so ultimately they tend to get closed quite quickly. We are a toy forum so the bickering and arguing that these subjects can create just suck all the fun out of this place sometimes. So they are closed.
Some threads start out okay and fun (i.e in the OT or Sandbox areas) but they end up just being bickering and snyde somments, back and forth arguments and insults so are just locked to stop the madness.
On the flip side, sometimes the offending posts are deleted so the thread/s can keep going but as karam sais how many warnings should have to be given before we just say enough already.

The OT section is for exactly that, other topics but the rules of the forum still apply.

Trust me fellas, a lot is talked about with dave and how to approach things, how he wants us to moderate so if posts are deleted, it is not done lightly.

I know I get a lotta grilling for actively modding and I'm waiting for the inevitable Evil Post Nazi comments as we speak but it's a case of if we intervene in something, we are over modding, if we don't, we are 'janitors'.

I have a lot of friends here but I'm not afraid to kick ass (on any of them) and be a mod if/when I have to.
If that makes me a bad mod, I dunno what I can tell ya :dunno
x :wave

This is my point and often why, and no offense, but a long term well liked member, usually makes a poor mod. You can't really worry about if people are still going to like you and make a balanced decision.
I suppose there is always baggage and biases behind your behavior, no matter who you are and what your role is in your personal or professional life. That's part of being human. But I reckon most of us attempt to be fairly objective here. I will admit that I give more leeway to members who have been around, constructively contributing to the site for years than I will to some guy with 10 or 20 posts who seems to only be here to criticize things and insult people. But I figure folks who have been around longer (whether I personally care for their manner of posting or not) have earned that much.

This may be a "toy forum", but I don't see any political or religious threads started in the Star Wars or marvel sections. My opinion is just that if you're going to have an Other Topics section then let people discuss other topics.

If people get personal with each other then allow them to resolve it. I understand if personal threats get involved then you need a mod to lock or delete, but this place is WAAAAAY to "PC" when it comes to "that might offend someone."

If someone gets offended then they can take it up with the person who offended them and they can personally resolve it. Everything could be "offensive" depending on how someone takes what was said. Allow people to work out their own issues as long as threats and foul language that bypasses the filter isn't involved.

Post Nazi comments

:wave

Just ban Kitfisto and Badmoon and anyone else who comes here soley to spout rhetoric. First and foremost its a toy forum, if you wanna discuss religion, politics and other polarizing topics do it in pm or start your own forum.

Or just leave.

I've been trying to keep my posts short so that not much of my time will be wasted if/when it gets deleted and so that King Darkness can read them.

Just ban Kitfisto and Badmoon and anyone else who comes here soley to spout rhetoric. First and foremost its a toy forum, if you wanna discuss religion, politics and other polarizing topics do it in pm or start your own forum.

Or just leave.

Or, if you don't like discussing "other topics" that involve things you don't like.....just don't open and read the threads. See how that works?

Or just leave.

Precisely. If you want freedom of trash speech take it somewhere else. This is Daves site, Daves rules, if you don't like the way things are run then leave. :wave

I say make Pixletwin a mod. He would be grea... Never mind.

I've been trying to keep my posts short so that not much of my time will be wasted if/when it gets deleted and so that King Darkness can read them.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back