Customs and Bashes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaliBane

Super Freak
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new thread because I seem to recall I started one a few years ago and can't find it, and... also I'm sure people are getting a bit tired of seeing my customs posted in their thread.:lol

So who's first up......?

HwpzRBY.jpg

Yes kids, it's Amanaman!:yess::lol

This is a build-up of Cagoda's incredible Amana kit, with new hands and some other pieces added. The skulls are heavily modded or new. The paint was WAY, WAY more complex than I originally thought. I thought "paint the back green and the front yellow and zig-zag some stripes - done!":lol This was one of the most complex paint-ups ever, mostly because I decided to try to match his stripes exactly (hey, people match Boba's helmet scratches.):slap

Along with Greedo from ANH and Bossk from ESB, Amanaman is my fave alien from ROTJ, so it was worth the extra (extra-extra) effort.

I made a real effort to exactly match the hands (and finger poses,) which was super tricky to do - the first hand sculpts I did turned out to be too large. He's a tough character to get everything in proportion on.

I am still casting the gold/brass drinks table that Amana stands next to (to fill that gap on the huge stand in the back) so that'll be another week or two.

Interesting trivia I mentioned to Cagoda: the lowest Amana trophy skull looks to be the hero skull they used for the "ark ghost" in Raiders of the Lost Ark - maybe an inside joke.

oW4gXjK.jpg

NhiurRa.jpg

m8u3gLs.jpg

This has articulation in order to achieve two poses - the "Kenner card pic" with the mummified skeleton and the pose you see him in onscreen in ROTJ (which has his right arm totally across his body and his left hand in a near-vertical pose,) which I didn't have time to set up for these pics.

These are the two poses - Kenner on left, movie (from two angles) in center and at right.

v8Lutir.jpg

Re: Talibane's Customs and Bashes - AMANAMAN!

Amanaman looks fantastic! The paintwork and modded hands look great. Nice work.

Glad you started your own thread, looking forward to seeing more of your custom work.

I?m still fidgeting about with my build. Well actually i got all the putty work done then just put it down. I want to rework the joints and looks like you?ve achieved it!
Very well done!!! :clap

Beautiful work Talibane!!!!! The skeleton he?s lugging around is worn perfectly too! I?m so excited to see each of your new unveilings! Cheers buddy!!

Thanks everyone!

I can't believe that Cagoda offers this fully finished/painted for what he does - once you know how much effort the paint is.:lol What's interesting is that even the yellow skin color was almost impossible to match. I tried five kinds of acrylic yellows and they just weren't a match to the ref pics. It's a very pale yellow with a greenish tint to it, almost a lemon color (the pics don't quite capture the color.)

I did a ton of work to get the staff and skulls pretty much 100% accurate (the alien's upper skull is maybe 10% undersized because the staff was getting so top heavy even with the skulls hollowed out) - there are very few pics of the top of the staff, so anyone who's building a staff can use my staff pics as ref. I cobbled together some super-rare ref pics but the details are still hard to make out.

I have a few other customs getting closer now - ANH stunt style stormie (though as ESB version,) my long-delayed Ugnaught and the Lando Skiff I had to shelve to get Amana done. Will post some pics here.

Brilliant work on this Amanaman!! Every aspect looks fantastic. I'm continually impressed and blown away by your attention to detail. As others have stated, I'm greatly looking forward to more of your work posted here. Glad to see this thread!

Talibane!!! DUDE!!! You nailed it, that's fantastic! I love how you built on my existing sculpt and made tweaks, I love it! I especially love what you did with the shoulders and the hands. And those skulls are insane!

Finally someone else can see what work goes into doing a fully painted one of these bad boys hahaha. It's an insane amount of work.

The colors too were so frustrating like you said. I'm curious what actual paint colors were used on him. Depending on what reference pics it's different colors: on-screen itself, Jabba's Palace has a blueish hue which will give that lemony yellow look. Then some other reference pics its still the bright lemony yellow, but that's exacerbated by the flash of whatever camera was taking the pic. And in the same reference pic, there's hints of an orangeish tint. Then in other reference pics there's straight up a yellow with orangeish tint, and then to top it all off we have to account for resolution, fading, quality of pics etc. Honestly I'd say if you can match any of the reference pics you're good to go on the color lol.

Making this dude is a headache and a beast but satisfying to finish lol

Brilliant work on this Amanaman!! Every aspect looks fantastic. I'm continually impressed and blown away by your attention to detail. As others have stated, I'm greatly looking forward to more of your work posted here. Glad to see this thread!

Yeah, well I had to go the extra mile because you know who he's currently standing next to - your incredible Yak.:lol

Talibane!!! DUDE!!! You nailed it, that's fantastic! I love how you built on my existing sculpt and made tweaks, I love it! I especially love what you did with the shoulders and the hands. And those skulls are insane!

Finally someone else can see what work goes into doing a fully painted one of these bad boys hahaha. It's an insane amount of work.

The colors too were so frustrating like you said. I'm curious what actual paint colors were used on him. Depending on what reference pics it's different colors: on-screen itself, Jabba's Palace has a blueish hue which will give that lemony yellow look. Then some other reference pics its still the bright lemony yellow, but that's exacerbated by the flash of whatever camera was taking the pic. And in the same reference pic, there's hints of an orangeish tint. Then in other reference pics there's straight up a yellow with orangeish tint, and then to top it all off we have to account for resolution, fading, quality of pics etc. Honestly I'd say if you can match any of the reference pics you're good to go on the color lol.

Making this dude is a headache and a beast but satisfying to finish lol

Thanks, yeah it's been a long journey on this one (and it derailed several other customs) but it was my Christmas gift to myself.:yess:

As soon as I took your kit out of the box I was super excited and knew this one was special. The sculpt is so dead-on. I did add that "peak" above his forehead but there's no way you could have included it - its fragile, and it also looks kinda weird (and isn't even visible from front view at all.)

And that paint - ugh - the first paint-up I did looked like Gumby's pineapple cousin.:lol The prop's face paint is a really weird combo - smeared pink lipstick for a mouth, no throat visible beyond his lips (just flat grey.) It does give him a really sort of disturbing look - like Gumby as a serial killer, and the skulls make him sinister.

For the yellow/green color I had some higher resolution ref pics, plus the glimpse you get of Amana when they bring Han from the cell has decent lighting once its enhanced - I can post the best ref pics I have if you need (one in particular is pretty clear.)
He does look cleaner in the pics than in-hand, and the yellow in my pics is slightly different to the figure's in-hand color.

I just checked my Amanaman folder - I have 167 ref pics in there. Yup, maybe took this one a bit too far.:slap:lol

Oh, and here's one of the comp pics next to the ark ghost from Raiders (amana skull on left, ark ghost on right.) That skull there's not a lot of ref pics for, and the lighting/angle is slightly different, but the eye socket details, the missing teeth and the shrunken jaw skin flap (below lower teeth) all seem to line up. That Amana skull also has the same long scraggly grey hair that the ark ghost has (which doesn't match the other Amana skulls or even the ponytail they used for this skull) I noticed this because I'm also building an ark ghost custom.

Several art/fx people who worked on Raiders also did ROTJ two years later inclduing Chris Walas (Gremlins FX guy, who designed Ree Yees and a half dozen other ROTJ aliens) and Nilo Rodis Jamiero (art director.)

20Fw0t6.png

Talibane - excellent execution on the Cagoda kit. You guys really brought Amanaman to life!

-
Dennis

Phenomenal work in there. Love it.

Wow, that means a lot, thanks.:hi5: Such a legendary customizer whose work I have admired for years.

Talibane - excellent execution on the Cagoda kit. You guys really brought Amanaman to life!

-
Dennis

Thanks - yeah Cagoda really bought the A-game with this kit. I wouldn't have known where to start with a sculpt like what he pulled off. Really tricky character to get right proportionally.

He sure was a beast to sculpt! It took me awhile but I just kept hammering away until I felt satisfied. Again I love what you did adding extra skin wrinkles to the upper arms, how does that affect articulation? I'd love to see more close ups or better angles of it.

Gumby serial killer haha that's a perfect description of this lurpy alien bounty hunter lol.

Thanks for supporting my work and I'm glad I could get kit to you! Fantastic work, I can't wait to see more of your customs.

He sure was a beast to sculpt! It took me awhile but I just kept hammering away until I felt satisfied. Again I love what you did adding extra skin wrinkles to the upper arms, how does that affect articulation? I'd love to see more close ups or better angles of it.

Gumby serial killer haha that's a perfect description of this lurpy alien bounty hunter lol.

Thanks for supporting my work and I'm glad I could get kit to you! Fantastic work, I can't wait to see more of your customs.

Yeah, I realized that I really only wanted the two poses so I just tailored the articulation to that. The (our) left arm has a shoulder ball-type joint and also a swivel within the folds of skin because that arm has to repoistion and go across the body but on the right it's only a swivel (you can see that one more clearly - I did it first and didn't quite make the swivel point round enough) as that arm only slides a bit wider between the two poses, so doesn't need the ball joint.

I would love to have seen a video of your articulated Amana to see how the articulation worked both on the arms and the hands.

And well, my next custom will probably be a bit disappointing because I restarted my Lando Skiff custom to stand alongside Amana - then Sideshow decided to release their gorgeous figure. So I'm like...:horror:yess::gah::clap

:rotfl

Really well done! Amanaman is one of my favorite alien creatures in the Star Wars universe. Very interesting creature design. And hes still one of my favorite Kenner toys.

You did an excellent job!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ok Tali. here is a couple shots of my custom of lando in his skiff outfit. i scratched built the belt and gun holster and the sandals were constructed by a fellow member on here a few years ago. lando skiff phot #1.jpg lando skiff photo #2.jpg

Back