Customs and Bashes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Talibane's Customs and Bashes - LANDO SKIFF!

ha no problem. I think I just read the first sentence and thought what !! Didn't read all the way through to get the joke.

I know what you mean about the 100 figures. I haven't reached it yet, but it's looming.

Far too easy to do the math how much you've spent with 100 figures [emoji2]

Dude fantastic work!! That custom rocks!! Did you sculpt the helmet and armor??

Wow!! I think your Lando looks better than the SSC prototype in every way! Especially when it comes to proportions. Outstanding job yet again, TaliBane! :clap

Lando looks great TB! Looking forward to seeing him in Jabba's Palace.

Really impressive compared to Sideshow's photos.

It blows me away when people's customs outshine what the "companies" offer.

-
Dennis

Looks great!

Dude fantastic work!! That custom rocks!! Did you sculpt the helmet and armor??

Wow!! I think your Lando looks better than the SSC prototype in every way! Especially when it comes to proportions. Outstanding job yet again, TaliBane! :clap

Duncan, your Lando is perfect. The boots and armor in particular are excellent! My jaw has dropped.

Thanks guys!!! I appreciate it!:hi5:

I still plan to take some more pics with other Jabba customs. And Cagoda, the wrist armor is custom but the chest armor is a very heavy mod of the Hasbro armor, and the helmet is the one that's on eBay occasionally - I think it's Gentle Giant. The trick is that most of the face covering is about 1/3 too large or thick (like the curled teeth etc,) so it all has to be thinned and downscaled, which is a total pain, but wasn't as time consuming as I thought it would be.

While that GG helmet has a few accuracy issues, I'd argue in a few ways it's slightly more accurate than the new Sideshow one - more obvious things are the rivets on "forehead" strap and the rivets in the "ear" area of the helmet skirt/flair are noticeably too large on the new SSC, and the colors are slightly off (for example the costume helmet's forehead strap is a quite red leather but Sideshow didn't do that.)

Re: Talibane's Customs and Bashes - FOZEC, JABBA'S "TWIN GUARD" TO LANDO!!

Guys, guys c'mon - I heard Kenner just made a figure of my twin buddy, Fozec... follow my vibro blade!:lol

DTB3a9Z.jpg

What's funny about Fozec is that he was specifically designed by the filmmakers to explain how Lando could hide in Jabba's Palace (like that there are other skiff guards EXACTLY like Lando and audiences wouldn't believe it otherwise,) which is a kind of funny-weird idea. So Fozec shares a bunch of "twin" elements with Lando - right down to the actor being a black man with a stylish 'stache. :lol

The armor (forearm, shoulder and chest,) armor straps, cumberbund/loincoth designs are all identical to Lando, though done in different colors.

kkFpygm.jpg

What I love about a lot of SW costumes is the reuse - Fozec has a Biker Scout elbow armor piece splayed out on the top of his head and painted silver, glued onto a cast of Lando's helmet. Because Sideshow's Scout armor sculpt is a bit off, I decided to just make a version out of styrene. Both Lando and Fozec's wrist armor is just a cast of their chest armor that has been curled into cylinders. They also took some shears to the skirt/flair of lando's helmet to cut some scallops for Fozec's helmet.

rkQwiAp.jpg

What was really tricky in painting Fozec is that his armor seems to have been painted by the same production assistant who "ruined" most of the Biker Scout armor with random puffs of black weathering spray paint on the day of shooting (a funny story a ROTJ producer tells) - Fozec's chest armor looks pretty unconvincing onscreen, almost appearing as if a toddler scribbled ochre and grey colored crayon onto the white armor, but I decided to match it anyway.

Fozec's pole weapon is super, super tricky to get good ref pics of. A few years ago Hasbro mentioned they were doing a Fozec fig, so I thought that would reveal some good details but the fig is still yet to see release. I managed to dig some decent enough pics from some very rare bts pics.

slefy0t.jpg

Anyway, I knew this fig wasn't going to be a foreground fig (he's going up behind my SSC Jabba) so I didn't go the full way with this, for example using an old HT body and just using most parts from parts bin rather than hunting down perfect matches, though he's pretty close to accurate.

Rollin out the custom train, TB. Well done :clap
...keep?em comin

Fozec looks really good!

I am running out of room to display figs in my own Jabba's Palace dio... but I could probably fit one more "regular human sized" figure behind Jabba. I might give Fozec a go since you've laid out such an awesome break-down of the pieces.

-
Dennis

Fozec look great!

Interesting fact about the wrist armor, I never noticed that. Thanks for sharing.

So awesome!!! Amazing work!

I consider myself a Star Wars nerd, but to be honest I never knew about this guy !

Keep goin on those customs Tali.

Re: Talibane's Customs and Bashes - DEATH STAR DROID AND AMANAMAN'S SNACK TABLE!!

He may not have been a cantina creature, but he was just as cool on the droid team, the anti-3PO just like R5 was the anti-R2... the go-to guy for badassery from the SW collector's case, it's Death Star Droid!:yess:

q9MoqQR.png

With a fresh batch of gonk goodness enroute from scratchbuilder (first batch had a few issues), thought I'd get gonk's taller partner in crime over the line...

AQ83syQ.jpg

50136749581_10a4526289_o.png

50136735021_3fdb9572d1_o.png

This is a significant styrene rebuild of the hasbro figure, with a double ball joint and cloth waist segment added. I always forget to take WIP pics, but I snapped a few pics to show it in the final phases to show how it went together. The back of the figure was also a scratch build as DSD has a sort of Batman logo look to his back rather than the boxy thing 3PO has.

The waist wires design is based on the unused waist they made for DSD (as seen in the costumes book) but didn't use - it doesn't have actual wires, rather painted or sewn wires like 3PO has in ROTJ. Because he's sitting in the sandcrawler so has no hard waist/crotch shell they used kind of mylar disco hot pants for this guy like what 3PO had in all of his sitting scenes.

50136723136_ac7d321350_o.png

And finally, I had to fill a gap on my Amanaman display base so decided to do the table visible behind just about everyone in every other shot in Jabba's palace. This i s the table that held the green jelly fruit that 3PO gets spilt on him. Amana will not go hungry now.... still have a few touch-ups to do on the white food, but basically done.

pUFX4GU.jpg

Re: Talibane's Customs and Bashes - DEATH STAR DROID AND AMANAMAN'S SNACK TABLE!!

Amazing stuff here. As usual, your attention to detail is impeccable. Well done.

Edit: I forgot to mention that despite the 3PO-style hands they give the DSD for exhibitions, the original costume has unique hands that are bright silver gloves with flat mylar glued on in segments over hands and fingers, so I tried to match those. They are visible in the movie.

The figure also has five coats of chrome paint done over five days to ensure a the most mirrored finish and a full cure. I did look into vac-metalizing but they heat the object for 3-4 hours at about 70 degrees C and I worried it might soften/warp the styrene. Also, Vac metal does also have a slightly more "toy-like" finish whereas the paint I used does look like real metal with rust/grease marks in-hand.

Amazing stuff here. As usual, your attention to detail is impeccable. Well done.

Thanks, Chakaman - always means a lot coming from one of the Freaks customizer masters!:hi5:

Back