Did the ST have a PLAN or NOT?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the ST the result of Disney's plan from the beginning?

• No plan

Votes: 60 96.8%
  • Plan

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
I actually like a lot of TLJ. I liked the interaction between Rey and Kylo, I could buy that Luke felt crushed under the weight of expectations, and that the Jedi itself maybe needed to start going in another direction. I even didn't mind seeing how other planets weren't suffering because of the Rebellion. All interesting ideas, just the execution left a lot to be desired.
Rise was just a jumbled, nonsensical mess, and I still could enjoy it. Does it fall apart under examination? Oh boy yes. So does TLJ. But I can still find it fun. It just is a bit saddening when I see fan theories that would have been better arcs and the people whose actual job it is to write this stuff didn't do as good a job. This franchise feels very much as if it has been created with audience in mind-as in what will poll better, what would subvert expectations, what is expected-instead of coming up with a strong story or characters.

Never in the history of Sideshow Freaks or Collectors Freaks has there been such a consistent and decisive poll result. 27 - 0

Lol cause anybody what doesn?t hit the crack pipe hard knows this trilogy was thrown together just for profit and no soul put behind it

It didn't matter if Lucas had the OT planned out, in fact, it wouldn't have mattered if they had the ST planned out or not, but if you set up storylines, you need to see them through.

Too many egos and too many agenda's killed the ST.

Lucas's ego killed the PT; if he had have handled it like the OT (not written or directed them) and not surrounded himself with "yes men" they would have been great.

The reality is, we don't live in a world anymore where there are artist's that have their own voice. Kubrick, Coppola, DePalmer, Spielberg, Stone, Dante, Cameron, Carpenter, Zemmeckis, Schumacher, Scott (R&T), Hughes, Coen, Coen Brothers, Badham, Donner, Landis, Mulchay, Hooper, Brooks, Ramis, Cronemberg... I could go on and on. Each of them had their own voice. The few that are still working now have to jump through hoops like monkey's and none of their current projects are original and unique.

It's all corporation owned, committee driven.

If you are interested in how the system truly works, watch the doco Seduced and Abandoned (and that was 2013 - it's a million times worse now).

Denis Villeneuve is probably the only exception.

So you're saying modern movies are too committee-driven, but the PT could actually have benefited from that?

Like the others you listed, Lucas had his own voice and used his success to make the PT exactly how he wanted. If he had his time over he wouldn't do them any different (except the usual tinkering around the edges).

So you're saying modern movies are too committee-driven, but the PT could actually have benefited from that?

Like the others you listed, Lucas had his own voice and used his success to make the PT exactly how he wanted. If he had his time over he wouldn't do them any different (except the usual tinkering around the edges).

If he had have collaborated with people that are better than him at certain things; writers; Willard & Gloria Huyck on SW, and Lawrence Kasdan on Empire and Jedi, directors Kershner and Marquand, and of course Gary Kurtz, they would have been better films.

Lucas has, by his own words on many occasions, said he is a average writer and lazy director. He doesn't like doing either. He hates being on set.

No doubt his imagination, world building, story telling (NOT script writing), editing, business acumen, foresight - and so many others things - are second to none. But writing and directing... ah, no.

When you listen to the directors commentary of the PT it's mind blowing the story he's got in his head, but it's not up on the screen.

There’s no way that Disney had a plan

I've said this before, but it still boggles my mind that any company could spend that much money on arguably the biggest IP on the planet and not have any sort of solid A to B plan for the first trilogy.

Sure there might be some changes on what happens in between getting from A to B, but sheesh.

Unbelievable really !

I've said this before, but it still boggles my mind that any company could spend that much money on arguably the biggest IP on the planet and not have any sort of solid A to B plan for the first trilogy.

Sure there might be some changes on what happens in between getting from A to B, but sheesh.

Unbelievable really !

I guess this was a data-driven failure.

There has never been a more information-rich environment, and corporations use the metrics available to read the terrain and target their products with ever more granularity.

I can only speculate that to maximize their profit, Disney more or less made the decision to 'crowd-source' the ST, adjusting direction and story based on market response? Hence no plan?

One may argue that a piece of art isn't for everyone, and when you try to make it for everyone it becomes a disposable product with no heart.

:confused:

You damn right Disney had a plan...the minute they got their grubby mitts on the keys to Lucas' creation...and you actually think that the story-line was a 'free-form' moving from movie to movie. No way. I seriously think that blind-hatred of these last 3 movies has seriously clouded some minds. Star Wars fans are SO fickle.

No doubt his imagination, world building, story telling (NOT script writing), editing, business acumen, foresight - and so many others things - are second to none. But writing and directing... ah, no.

A shame his mates Spielberg, Howard and Darabont passed on the directing gig!

I guess this was a data-driven failure.

There has never been a more information-rich environment, and corporations use the metrics available to read the terrain and target their products with ever more granularity.

I can only speculate that to maximize their profit, Disney more or less made the decision to 'crowd-source' the ST, adjusting direction and story based on market response? Hence no plan?

One may argue that a piece of art isn't for everyone, and when you try to make it for everyone it becomes a disposable product with no heart.

:confused:

They hired an idiot with an agenda to run the whole thing, it's as simple as that.

It wasn't just poor decision making by Disney, but George as well.

So are you saying you're fickle or that you're not a Star Wars fan, or that you're not a fan of Star Wars fans (which means you're not a fan of yourself if you are one)? :monkey3

Pretty sure the execs' plan was to make money, how didn't matter just so long as their limos, yachts and lavish lifestyles are paid for. They would have thrown in a bunch of hippos in tutus wearing lipstick if they thought it would sell tickets.

It was just a comment to trigger someone.

You damn right Disney had a plan...the minute they got their grubby mitts on the keys to Lucas' creation...and you actually think that the story-line was a 'free-form' moving from movie to movie. No way. I seriously think that blind-hatred of these last 3 movies has seriously clouded some minds. Star Wars fans are SO fickle.

Ah, Disney...

Back