1/6 Dc's Birds of prey and the Fantabulous emancipation of one Harley Quinn SPECULATION

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ The Buffinator, yea this version doesn't feel like the true Harley. There is a quick shot of her on a car while eating a sandwich. The outfit reminds me of the "days of our lives"

EErZuNzVAAA5G5S

Lol actually i like it, but i don't feel any hype about the movie...i hope the popularity of Margot Robbie will help the movie.

I don?t get these outfit choices. Street Hooker Harley doesn?t seem right for the character at all.

Queer eye for the straight guy black mask doesn?t look right either.

I am ok that I am not the targeted demographic. We are getting what looks to be an amazing joker movie so I?m fine with that.

Especially based on the reviews I've read of Cathy Yan's Dead Pigs film, I'm very curious about this picture. It is evidently going to be offbeat, quirky, indie, etc. Joker seems clear to wildly succeed. Will this film be able to keep the streak going? Really hope so.

The poster is obviously showing things from Harley's insane, warped perspective (you know, the perspective where Joker is a great, lovely boyfriend and not an abusive piece of trash).

So I'm hoping the costumes and posing are in no way a reflection of the reality of the movie.

The HQ figures from SS sold very well, so you can bet we?ll at least get a couple Harley?s from this film.

I’m hoping we get a Black Mask too - hopefully he actually wears that for more than a few seconds because what looks we’ve seen have been maskless. I might feel differently once they actually reveal the mask :lol

I’m hoping we get a Black Mask too - hopefully he actually wears that for more than a few seconds because what looks we’ve seen have been maskless. I might feel differently once they actually reveal the mask :lol

One thing's for sure, if we DO get a Black Mask we'll have more than 5 freakin minutes to preorder, unlike with stupid MEZCO!

Another DC trainwreck....
Oh my

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Too little to judge yet.
I'll wait for trailers and if they pique my interest, I'll check out the actual movie before passing judgement.

This film is a huge gamble that I applaud WB for taking.

In the era of #metoo I don't see how this film doesn't liberate Harley from Joker. That kind of has to happen in the current socio-cultural climate whether one agrees with that sort of updating or not from a purist comic tradition and/or DCAU vantage. I'm curious as to how they'll deal with the character empowering herself and gaining an independent sense of identity. (Evidently it will involve teaming up with other women.) And how it will approach the mental illness aspect for this character in a way that's comedic but not trivializing. Plus Black Mask being gay and hellbent on the quest he's reportedly undertaking. There's a lot of social hotbutton stuff in all of this that can easily trigger people.

They took a gamble on the director. Cathy Yan has directed only one film. A foreign one, unreleased outside of China, with a mere 8 reviews on RT (all of them raves, though). Christina Hodson wrote Bumblebee which was a hit with the critics, but her other two screenplays are for films that are at 27% and 9% on the tomato-meter.

And this film will release next in the order after a film, Joker, that it looks like is going to be highly celebrated and groundbreaking for the genre, and might well finally earn Joaquin Phoenix an Oscar. And maybe an Oscar for Todd Phillips as well. That's a tough act to follow.

Joker will present mental illness in a very stark way. And it looks like BoP, with a more comedic tone, will perhaps go another route in terms of destigmatizing whatever ails Harley? I.e., humanizing, making relatable, etc.

I'm encouraged that reportedly test audiences absolutely were ecstatic about this movie. Although that is not always a reliable measure, as we know.

I also appreciate the DC is willing to take some risks. Frankly, the Man of Steel was a risk. I think it failed, but Marvel Studios wouldn't have the balls to try something like that. There are pros and cons to being risky or conservative. This doesn't look like something I would care for, but white males approaching middle age aren't the only audiences out there. And who knows? Maybe it will be great.

To play devil's advocate on Man of Steel, in terms of box office it did better than nearly all inaugural films (in some cases also the first several films) of other modern era superhero franchises since 2000. The only exceptions to that rule are Spider-Man and Venom.

Adjusted for inflation since that is the only fair way to compare them. These figures are worldwide gross:

Man of Steel (2013) - $735,725,572 in today's dollars

X-men (2000) - $441,511,477 in today's dollars
X-2: X-Men United (2003) - $568,487,280 in today's dollars
X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) - $584,585,162 in today's dollars

Spider-Man (2003) - $1,145,738,600 in today's dollars

Fantastic Four (2005) - $434,269,695 in today's dollars

Batman Begins (2005) - $491,596,489 in today's dollars

Iron Man (2008) - $697,301,607 in today's dollars
The Incredible Hulk (2008) - $313,903,873 in today's dollars
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) - $422,659,655 in today's dollars
Thor (2011) - $512,487,112 in today's dollars

X-Men: First Class (2011) - $403,332,005 in today's dollars

Fant4stic Four (2015) - $181,826,603 in today's dollars

Venom (2018) - $874,668,942 in today's dollars

And although not necessarily intended to be franchise starters, had they performed well they likely would have been:

Green Lantern (2011) - $250,754,991 in today's dollars

Superman Returns (2006) - $497,693,494 in today's dollars

There is definitely something admirable in a studio that is willing to take risks - Joker is a big risk, but it honestly looks amazing.
Marvel is consistent, competent and reliable - but honestly their movies all "feel" the same. I trust Marvel not to make something terrible, but would they take a chance on something like Logan, Joker or Deadpool? They take risks, but they usually minimize the risks with a consistent tone and style.
Of course risks can also backfire.

I think this movie has potential - i think an independent Harley is more interesting. (the less Leto the better)
There is always the trap of over-doing the "woman power" factor to the point it becomes condescending, but for some reason I don't think that will be the case here.
Ewan Mcgregor is a good actor - as long as his mob-boss persona (as opposed to his public persona) is still the same sadistic monster I think he will be good. His sexuality is a non-factor really except that it (thankfully) precludes a flirty/predatory relationship with the female leads.
Which thinking about it may be the reason why they made him gay.
He NEEDS to wear the mask though!

I like that poster! It feels deliberately cartoonish to fit the character.

That said, I do need more/better trailers however to really feel some hype for this.

Surely a new full trailer would be attached to Joker , right? I feel like we’ve been marketed Joker forever and BoP has been rather quiet.

If Black Mask doesn’t wear the mask, what was the point of even using the character? Plenty of Gotham mob bosses to choose from that don’t have a mask. I’m just curious how the mask looks more than anything else about this movie:lol

Back