DC Universe Online

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This game costs money to play online?? :slap

Is it as bad as it looks? The story looks a bit dumb and the graphics look like a PS2 game.

From what I've played, the story is incomprehensible and the gameplay amounts to nothing more than going down a list of perpetually respawning enemies to beat up.

So what you're really saying is that for $44.99 you get a brand new game that can only be played for 1 MONTH? Where-as any other game you pay $59.99 and can play it for the life of your console any time you wish.

How you figured that you're getting a "deal" with DCU online is beyond me. :lol

Mhmm..yeah so once I beat a game I never return to it. Same reason I hate watching any movie more then once. So, a month of game time for $59.99 is fine by me. And generally when you use quotation marks its to QUOTE someone...which means they actually had to have SAID it. I never said "deal"...I simply said its more game time then I get out of a normal game for the same price. So...way to fail...

I still don't get why everyone is shocked that you have to pay to play. It's marketed as an MMO. You always pay a fee for an MMO (at least in the beginning). The fact that it's on the PS3 network has no bearing...I didnt get to play WOW for free because I was already paying Comcast for my internet service. I can't stand when people are shocked when they learn something that they should have known or is obvious to begin with. It's like dating a Nazi for 6 months and then being shocked to learn hes a racist...

Oh...and anyone that owns an XBOX 360 and plays online pays to play online. Its NOT that shocking...if you don't want to pay...thats fine. Just stop acting like its a huge surprise....cause if you're surprised you're either living under a rock or lack intelligence...

Last edited:
From what I've played, the story is incomprehensible and the gameplay amounts to nothing more than going down a list of perpetually respawning enemies to beat up.

OMG...thats practically the definition of MMO! People run around killing respawning enemies because someone told them to in exchange for a bit of cash and the promise of XP. I played WOW for years, raiding in 40 man raids and all that jazz and STILL have very little idea as to an underlying story.

Nah, I play all the same games as everyone else.

Clearly not. There are so many options for multiplayer gaming with virtually unlimited replay potential, it's not even funny.

That reminds me, Little Big Planet 2 comes out next week, so even if DCU was phenomenal, it would probably still be a pass for me as I expect LBP 2 to suck up all my gaming time.

Mhmm..yeah so once I beat a game I never return to it. Same reason I hate watching any movie more then once. So, a month of game time for $59.99 is fine by me. And generally when you use quotation marks its to QUOTE someone...which means they actually had to have SAID it. I never said "deal"...I simply said its more game time then I get out of a normal game for the same price. So...way to fail...

I still don't get why everyone is shocked that you have to pay to play. It's marketed as an MMO. You always pay a fee for an MMO (at least in the beginning). The fact that it's on the PS3 network has no bearing...I didnt get to play WOW for free because I was already paying Comcast for my internet service. I can't stand when people are shocked when they learn something that they should have known or is obvious to begin with. It's like dating a Nazi for 6 months and then being shocked to learn hes a racist...

Oh...and anyone that owns an XBOX 360 and plays online pays to play online. Its NOT that shocking...if you don't want to pay...thats fine. Just stop acting like its a huge surprise....cause if you're surprised you're either living under a rock or lack intelligence...

LOL < :lol you butthurt man? I don't care if you do or don't play a game more than a month. Go ahead and throw your money away. No skin off of my back :lol

So you've dated a Nazi man before eh? ghey.

There's too many good games out there to play them more than a month.

Buy cheap, sell them back when you're done. Keep only the really good ones.

LOL < :lol you butthurt man? I don't care if you do or don't play a game more than a month. Go ahead and throw your money away. No skin off of my back :lol

So you've dated a Nazi man before eh? ghey.

Yes...thats exactly what I was saying. It isnt fun being you...is it?

Damn, people are sooo against paying for this. I'm not rich by any means...but $15 a month is nothing.

My issue with MMOs is that many of them cannot be played at all unless one pays the monthly fee. So, not only did I shell out $50+ for a game, but now I have to pay every month just for the privilege of playing the game I own? Ludicrous.

Isn't the LOTR MMO free to play? Or don't some MMOs offer a lifetime membership option? The Conan MMO wasn't uber-popular, but at least it had an offline, single-player component that you could play whether you'd paid the fee or not.

The way I see it, they should sell the game for dirt cheap, say $10 or less, and then people would be more willing to pay the monthly fee.

My issue with MMOs is that many of them cannot be played at all unless one pays the monthly fee. So, not only did I shell out $50+ for a game, but now I have to pay every month just for the privilege of playing the game I own? Ludicrous.

Isn't the LOTR MMO free to play? Or don't some MMOs offer a lifetime membership option? The Conan MMO wasn't uber-popular, but at least it had an offline, single-player component that you could play whether you'd paid the fee or not.

The way I see it, they should sell the game for dirt cheap, say $10 or less, and then people would be more willing to pay the monthly fee.

You have to pay for a cell phone and then pay a monthly fee to use it. You have to pay for a TV and then pay a monthly fee for cable. You pay for a computer and then pay monthly to connect to the internet. I dont enjoy paying for those, but I enjoy the services they provide so I do it.

If you didnt have to pay the monthly fee I am sure you would never have new content added and the servers would just blow up after X amount of months anyway and companies wouldnt bother to get them back up and running.

I had considered getting this I saw is was gonna be like WarCraft and I had to pay a monthly fee on top of buying the game. With my other PS3 games I play them online for free forever as long as they keep the server or I keep the game. On my 360 I pay a yearly fee to play it online on top of everything else they offer again forever. The servers don't blow up for they don't stop adding content either.

So basically it lost me for that reason.

Clearly, if you have loads of time to play this from month to month, and do, then $15 shouldn't be a lot in itself. That's 50 cents a day. But folks are just accustomed to not paying per-game-fees for online play.

And at a certain point, it does seem a bit much to a non-MMO player such as myself. To take your example Hulk, you have to pay for a TV, and an X-Box. You have monthly fees for electricity, and an internet connection, and for X-Box live. Tacking another per-game-fee on top of that might make you wonder--"where does it end??!! How many times will I be nickle-and-dimed to play a damn video game??"

Of course, there will be extra downloadable material you can pay for on top of that, and at some point, there will probably be different fees to play more or less restricted versions of games.

I don't care, since I have no interest in a DC game where you can't play as DC characters. Also, because I don't play any of these types of things anyway. But the per-game-monthly-fee trend is gonna take awhile for casual gamers to get accustomed to, I figure.

You have to pay for a cell phone and then pay a monthly fee to use it. You have to pay for a TV and then pay a monthly fee for cable. You pay for a computer and then pay monthly to connect to the internet. I dont enjoy paying for those, but I enjoy the services they provide so I do it.

Most companies will give you the cell phone for free.

The cost of cable isn't 25% of the cost of my TV. If I don't pay, I still have channels I can access for free, and I can still use my TV to watch movies and play games.

You don't need the internet to use a computer. If I don't pay, I can still do word processing, or edit music and videos, or play games, or any number of applications. Computers were around long before the internet.

But in this case, if I don't pay the monthly fee, my $60 game becomes a $60 coaster. Again, if they sold the game at a dirt cheap, introductory price, I'd be more willing to pay monthly to play.

Ok, what about the PS3 itself? You paid for it I assume and what good is it unless you keep buying games for it? Sure you could play Blue Ray discs, but you still gotta rent (netflix is ~$15 a month) or buy movies for it.

Look Im not trying to make it sound like I WANT to pay $15 a month. I do like the game and I knew it was going to cost a monthly fee upfront (and so did almost EVERYONE else). I just don't get why $15 a month is so shocking and excessive to everyone....

No offense man but your arguments seem pretty weak at best. Yeah, I have to buy games or movies for my PS3 but once I do I can watch/play them forever and it kills the cost of them.

Knowing it was a MMO I knew it would probably have a small cost but $180 a year isn't small when you gotta buy the game too. If it was maybe $180 for a lifetime deal thats different.

No offense man but your arguments seem pretty weak at best. Yeah, I have to buy games or movies for my PS3 but once I do I can watch/play them forever and it kills the cost of them.

Knowing it was a MMO I knew it would probably have a small cost but $180 a year isn't small when you gotta buy the game too. If it was maybe $180 for a lifetime deal thats different.

Ok, so Im arguing from my perspective and not everyone elses. I'm not trying to convince anyone to do it...I'm just explaining why I want to do it and don't mind the fee as much.

First, I rarely partake in online gaming for regular console games. I almost NEVER go back to a game that I have beaten and very very few games entertain me for a full month (meaning they lack the content).

The $59.99 for DCU includes 1 month of game play without the $15 fee on top of it. So, in MY case I get the same amount of entertainment out of this game as I do any other game for the same price. PLUS I have the option to extend the game further for $15 a month. Which, in my opinion is awesome, since I would gladly pay $15 every month to extend some of my favorite regular console games indefinately.

Back