DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Check your Batmobiles.

I was dusting off my collection last night and the rubber wheels on my Batmobile are already deteriorating. All four wheels are oily to the touch and are developing grey, chalky dusting to them. I'm pretty pissed. One of the batman figures from the phantasm 2 pack is developing he same chalky substance on the cape as well. My Robin and regular Batman figures haven't developed this yet, so I'm guessing it's just cheap plastic.

Check your Batmobiles.

I was dusting off my collection last night and the rubber wheels on my Batmobile are already deteriorating. All four wheels are oily to the touch and are developing grey, chalky dusting to them. I'm pretty pissed. One of the batman figures from the phantasm 2 pack is developing he same chalky substance on the cape as well. My Robin and regular Batman figures haven't developed this yet, so I'm guessing it's just cheap plastic.

This sounds like what happened to the Justice League Unlimited released by Mattel toward the end of the lines run. Particularly to the rubber capes.

Looks like Entertainment Earth now has the Gordon wave listed as coming in August. :thud:
More evidence that we won't be seeing this wave any time soon.

I don't understand: why can't DCC get these figures right? Every time I revisit this thread thinking now I can finally get into this line there are more horror stories about these figures falling apart.

Check your Batmobiles.

Just to be sure, you don't use spray bottles filled with water when you dust off your figures, do you? Because I used to have a problem with minor mold build up on my figures after spraying them down with water. water droplets would get clogged in the joints and if it sits around for too long eventually the plastic gets a little moldy.

Just to be sure, you don't use spray bottles filled with water when you dust off your figures, do you? Because I used to have a problem with minor mold build up on my figures after spraying them down with water. water droplets would get clogged in the joints and if it sits around for too long eventually the plastic gets a little moldy.

Nope, I just use a feather duster and a dry microfiber cloth. This is the first time I looked at my Batmobile since Novemberish.

I'm just going to assume that the plastics they used for the Batmobile and that two pack cape are the softest and cheapest to keep costs down or something.

Check your Batmobiles.

That's so sad to hear, man.

I experienced something similar with my Lord of the Rings figs by Toy Biz couple of months ago (but they're 15 y.o.!!).
Funny thing is, after noticing they were oily to the touch, I used water and a bit of soap to clean up them. It worked.

Don't know if it would work for these figures, though. Might be better to not even try it.

Oh, man....
So sad to hear the Batmobile has yet another issue. As if the molding-process markings and fragile paintwork weren't enough already.

oh man these news now are really pissing me off. I had my doubts already kind of since beginning and then again and agein and here is the next punch in the mouth. I swear I have NEVER had ANY problems with ANY of my Figure collections, but of all just DCC can't do it correctly and fails all along the line. really disapointing. so many lines but they ruin just our most beloved childhood memory.

So,any news on when the TNBA Batman is getting rereleased?

oh man these news now are really pissing me off. I had my doubts already kind of since beginning and then again and agein and here is the next punch in the mouth. I swear I have NEVER had ANY problems with ANY of my Figure collections, but of all just DCC can't do it correctly and fails all along the line. really disapointing. so many lines but they ruin just our most beloved childhood memory.

Lets not get carried away here. So one Batmobile owner has gunky wheels. So what? This is not a "the line is doomed" kind of scenario here. If all you need is anecdotal evidence to sway your opinion, then I can show you a picture of my Batmobile which is in perfect condition and I've had this thing sitting on the top of a filing cabinet that's exposed to the elements and bright lights since the day I got it. Besides, all it takes is a little pledge to clean this stuff off so its not the end of the world.

Believe me, it is not just DCC. I know for a fact that numerous Mattel lines have suffered from the same issues, Which again, is more specifically what this story is about: The Mystery of the Plastic Mist : PoeGhostal.com but it still is likely to be the same issue that we might have with the DCC products. Some of the Mattel stuff was so bad that you couldn't even store multiple figures in the same bag/box due to them "melting" together. This was not melting due to a high room temperature either. This was a chemical reaction between 2 figures touching each other. I ruined a few good figures that way.

Lets not get carried away here. So one Batmobile owner has gunky wheels. So what? This is not a "the line is doomed" kind of scenario here. If all you need is anecdotal evidence to sway your opinion, then I can show you a picture of my Batmobile which is in perfect condition and I've had this thing sitting on the top of a filing cabinet that's exposed to the elements and bright lights since the day I got it. Besides, all it takes is a little pledge to clean this stuff off so its not the end of the world.

This is also true. So far this is the only case of this happening to a product from this particular line that I have heard. Let's see how many more times it gets brought up in the near future before getting into too much of a panic.

okay most figures I collect are published by japanese companies. produced in china as well, but all in all better quality.

Personally, I think the plastic quality used for US toys back in the 1980s and 90s was far better than the stuff used in the past 16 or so years. I have to wonder what figure prices would be today if they did use a higher grade plastic.

okay most figures I collect are published by japanese companies. produced in china as well, but all in all better quality.
Is the Japanese stuff super expensive? Not counting possible import charges?

Personally, I think the plastic quality used for US toys back in the 1980s and 90s was far better than the stuff used in the past 16 or so years. I have to wonder what figure prices would be today if they did use a higher grade plastic.

It's not so much that the stuff used back in the day was "higher grade," it was just a different type. Almost everything used to be made from mostly ABS, which is a much harder, shinier plastic. Stuff now is mostly made from PVC. That's what tends to accumulate the "white dust" from the mold release. It's a much softer plastic, but it allows for better articulation. Otherwise you'd have metal pins all over the figure if you tried using ABS. And the parts that were PVC you see a lot of it starting to rot, with stuff like black flecks and stickiness being pretty common if it wasn't stored carefully.

Well I checked my batmobile and no problems, also checked my figures same thing no problems. I'll probably do a monthly check up on my collection just to be safe in case I see anything suspicious.

I don't understand: why can't DCC get these figures right? Every time I revisit this thread thinking now I can finally get into this line there are more horror stories about these figures falling apart.

Agreed. The quality control on this line is absolutely pathetic. I've had two Batman figures break on me now that I've had to return for replacements. One was a regular BTAS version and the other was from the Phantasm pack. Its just ridiculous. Fortunately, I ordered from Amazon and they were more than happy to swap them. I'm limiting my purchases in this line due to this yet that Batwing will be mine. But come October if that thing is a QC nightmare, I'm returning it and getting my money back.

so true. I still have all of my toys from back then and they all are still alright. only figure suffered from playing was my combat belt Batman. I LOVED him that much that I took him with me whereever I went. He kind of was my best buddy in childhood and nowadays he is kind of lucky charm for me.

Is the Japanese stuff super expensive? Not counting possible import charges?

depand on where you're searching. yes most of them are 50€ (~ $55-60?) and up, but on ebay with a little luck and patience you can find good deals.
and about import charges you should check the import rules for your country. within EU there is no import charge at all and items from outside are free till 21,99€ (+ shipping)

so true. I still have all of my toys from back then and they all are still alright. only figure suffered from playing was my combat belt Batman. I LOVED him that much that I took him with me whereever I went. He kind of was my best buddy in childhood and nowadays he is kind of lucky charm for me.

SAME here, girl!! I still own almost all my childhood toys, too!

Combat Belt Batman and Two-Face were my best buddies. I would take them anywhere I'd go. So many memories.

You know Andy with Woody & Buzz from Toy Story, right? Exactly me with Batman & Two-Face.

Imma cry here.

This is me with CB Batman and Two-Face:

tumblr_m27kpcFstW1qa23xvo1_250.png

It's impressive how happy a child can be with toys.

Back