DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

I've seen the design of Clayface , it 's horrible .:gah:

I think this is a case of less is more. I could do with out some of that waist articulation. Looks like he has the "Ab-Crunch" articulation. A simple "waist-turn" articulation, like Batman's, would have been better. Maybe even no head articulation. That whole wave is a bit of a dud to me. Firefly is cool, Harley is ok but has very few changes from the previous figure, Fire-suit Batman looks ok but an easy pass for me, and Clayface just looks awful.

It's a case of that ****ing head being the wrong shape and the face being too small.

I really like TNBA style. Doesn't mean I don't like TBAS. I just don't discount the artistic style of TNBA like some fans or think it made the cartoons worse than TBAS. Gordon looks like an old man, Tim looks like a kid, Scarecrow is scary as ****, etc. That being said, each version has its good and bad points style-wise. As a whole, the cartoons are the best Batman stories ever so I'm just glad they exist in any style.

I haven't watched many of TNBA episodes. Growing up it was always the TAS that was on TV. I still remember watching one of the very first episodes as a young child, I'm pretty sure it was On Leather Wings, it was dark and gothic, very different from the usual colourful cartoons I was used to watching. :D

I think deep in my heart I prefer TNBA. It's darker, edgier and just flat out cooler. Some designs suck ass like The Riddlers, but the ones that don't, freaking rock, and that's most of them imo. I'm more open minded about beloved character design than a lot of folks. I didn't mind the Joker. The Robin is one of, if not my favorite Robin designs ever. I just love the simplicity, the better, more confident animation and bleakness of it all. It really helped me cope with Batman & Robin when it debuted in 1997. It was the polar opposite and exactly what I wanted at the time.

BTAS certainly has the nostalgic appeal, and I'll love it as much as the next guy. I'd like to think I love both styles equally, but if I HAD TO choose, proobaably TNBA.

Big fan of TAS but I would have loved another 24 episodes of TNA. I think it would have helped make it more of it's own thing and not just an add on of TAS.

Some of the designs are better (including Batman, Robin, and Batgirl), the animation and colours are great and some stories are just as good as TAS.

Some redesigns are just awful though (Joker, Catwoman, Bruce Wayne, Gordon, Riddler) and the episode title cards are very much missed!

I loved the Wayne redesign. Slick like he should be. Hated batgirl though, I felt they ruined her in tnba. Her characterization went from mature to college student to annoying high schooler, with lines like "as if!", clearly inspired by Alicia Silverstone and the movie at the time. Couldn't stand the bright yellow gloves costume and always loved the Batman color scheme suit instead.

Based on the way some collectors are reacting to the variations between prototypes and final products, I think the companies (DCC included) should put that classic disclaimer back on all of the prototype images:

"Products may vary from images shown"

or

"Product colors and decorations may vary from those shown"

Seriously, these figures are intended for adult collectors, so there should be no need at all for those disclaimers above, as adult collectors are supposed to know variations may occur.
But some collectors do need to read those disclaimers.

But has there really been much difference yet between prototypes and final products in this line?

I know there has been some paint changes like Riddler's collar and the TAS Batman head has changed slightly but really pretty much everything that has been shown has been released as is. Sloppy QC and paintwork has really been the biggest factors in any differences.

So in terms of Clayface I will not be surprised to see a final product similar to the prototype. Which is weird as it is so off model it is hard to believe it even got to a prototype stage as it is now.

But has there really been much difference yet between prototypes and final products in this line?

I know there has been some paint changes like Riddler's collar and the TAS Batman head has changed slightly but really pretty much everything that has been shown has been released as is. Sloppy QC and paintwork has really been the biggest factors in any differences.

So in terms of Clayface I will not be surprised to see a final product similar to the prototype. Which is weird as it is so off model it is hard to believe it even got to a prototype stage as it is now.

No, there hasn't. The figures have remained loyal to their protos. And that's what makes the complains even more pointless.
And even Riddler's collar was fixed in a second prototype image released later. So even his figure is loyal to its proto.

Yes, to me, the only issue with this line is the inconsistency of the paintwork, as, depending on the figure, you have to look for a well painted, because there are bad painted ones out there. That makes you afraid of ordering online (at least me).

Regarding Clayface, yes, his prototype head seems to be terrible.
But we have to remember that DCC hasn't announced him yet, with a proper online/retailer image. And haven't even displayed his physical prototype yet.
That said, I don't wanna judge his figure yet.

No, there hasn't. The figures have remained loyal to their protos. And that's what makes the complains even more pointless.
And even Riddler's collar was fixed in a second prototype image released later. So even his figure is loyal to its proto.

Yes, to me, the only issue with this line is the inconsistency of the paintwork, as, depending on the figure, you have to look for a well painted, because there are bad painted ones out there. That makes you afraid of ordering online (at least me).

Regarding Clayface, yes, his prototype head seems to be terrible.
But we have to remember that DCC hasn't announced him yet, with a proper online/retailer image. And haven't even displayed his physical prototype yet.
That said, I don't wanna judge his figure yet.

I agree. Most figures have stayed true to their prototypes. Some have even come out better than them (Ivy for example, aside from her being too tall). Only a couple have been disappointments in my opinion. Harley mainly. I'm hoping that since it can easily vary from the prototype that we get a NBA style Joker in the Mad Love 2 pack. Aside from that, the paint QC and the possible price increase I think this line has been pretty damn great! I still need NBA Mr Freeze, but really don't want to order online in fear of getting a bad one. Plus I'm not sure if he's going to end up with a reissue. Excited to hear the next announcement. Can't imagine they would release the Mad Love 2 pack AFTER valentines day. I was assuming it would come out Feb 10th

Picked up five more on the weekend. Crappy iPhone pic.

2755him.jpg

Got the Mask of the Phantasm 2-pack for $35 on eBay and received yesterday.

I'm completely blown away by both figures.

The new Batman is totally worth it.
His head is 100% new and seriously impressively superior to the first one.
Its jaw line, chin and ears are far more TV accurate and it even has more prominent "laugh lines".
Batman's angry expression is so, SO Batman. I love it.
This is now my "official" BTAS Batman, and the first one has gone inside the Batmobile.

Phantasm, as expected, is a piece of art.
Fantastic sculpt; extremely TV accurate.
The work on the cowl and cape is gorgeous, and the soft plastic (silicone?) is a fine touch that allows the arms to rise and rotate with easy.

This 2-pack sets the bar so high, and is a reminder that this is a special action figure line that every Batman fan should try to collect.

So question for you all.

If you were only going to get ONE version of Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Croc, Bane, Ivy, Two-Face, Catwoman, Quinn, Freeze and Scarecrow choosing between the BTAS and TNBA versions which would you go for?

I'm near 100% going BTAS for Joker, Riddler and Penguin but can't decide for sure on the others so would like to hear some peoples opinions and why.

So question for you all.

If you were only going to get ONE version of Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Croc, Bane, Ivy, Two-Face, Catwoman, Quinn, Freeze and Scarecrow choosing between the BTAS and TNBA versions which would you go for?

I'm near 100% going BTAS for Joker, Riddler and Penguin but can't decide for sure on the others so would like to hear some peoples opinions and why.

BTAS every time.

Back