CW Green Arrow series, "Arrow"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was ok. I don't know much about the character outside of Smallville. But if I remember correctly, the Smallville GA also mentioned being on an island as well so it must be his real origin.

Anyway, anyone know why they didn't just continue with the Smallville guy instead of this full reboot?

It was ok. I don't know much about the character outside of Smallville. But if I remember correctly, the Smallville GA also mentioned being on an island as well so it must be his real origin.

Anyway, anyone know why they didn't just continue with the Smallville guy instead of this full reboot?

It was basically just a matter of Executive Producer Marc Guggenheim wanting to step away from the ground work that Smallville had laid down, and take his creative freedoms to reinterpret the character altogether.

I understand where the guy was coming from, BUT as a Smallville fan, I'm biased in that I had hoped Hartley would have been a shoo-in. I like Amell though. He shows a lot of promise. He's got that certain attitude that works really well for this character, IMO.

Too bad. I liked Hartley too. They could have just had Hartley find an old recording from his father telling him the same things this new guy did, and give him the same Revenge type mission.

I haven't warmed up to the new guy just yet. He still seems a bit stiff.

Too bad. I liked Hartley too. They could have just had Hartley find an old recording from his father telling him the same things this new guy did, and give him the same Revenge type mission.

Yeah, I could see that working, especially with the fanbase that Hartley had/has.

At this point, I hope the show lasts for more than one season. I liked the pilot a lot. But there's so many shows nowadays that come and ago, I almost hesitate to invest myself anymore. The ratings were great, so it looks like the CW may commit for awhile should the ratings hold up.

I think they wanted to distance this from being a "Smallville spinoff". Plus, they are think they are right, why try to build on something else when you have all the freedom to take this in whatever direction you want.

Stephen-Amell_320x240.jpg

Never watched Smallville, but I think this is the summation I've heard in most articles;

“It’s a very provocative and sophisticated and edgy,” Sherman says of the Arrow pilot. “It’s not as comic book-y as Smallville or other [superhero projects] from other networks.”

I just noticed Deathstrokes mask has 2 eyeholes, maybe Oliver took an eye as a going away present and Deathstroke appears later for revenge?

Oh yeah!!!

In the series premiere of The CW's Arrow this week, DC Comics fans got a very cool surprise in the form of a quickly-glimpsed mask seen on the island Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) was trapped on.

As those steeped in DC history could tell you, that was indeed the mask of Deathstroke - the master assassin who has taken on plenty of DC heroes through the years. And in an upcoming episode, Deathstroke is coming to Starling City to pay Arrow a visit... and things get ugly.

While he never donned his costume, a character based on Deathstroke, Slade Wilson, previously appeared on Smallville. But as you can see in IGN's exclusive photo below, Arrow is basing their version of the character very closely on his comic book incarnation - and, it's safe to guess, the deadly skill set that comes with it.

You'll see more of Deathstroke (played by Jeffrey Robinson) in the fifth episode of Arrow, "Damaged," airing in November.

Deathstroke-610x406.jpg

Deadshot is coming up too.

o-ARROW-DEADSHOT-2-570.jpg

Last edited:
This is much better than I thought it would be. The action is very smart and intense for something on the CW.
I like the guy who plays Oliver but he seems a bit...stale. Very little personality. His acting is good though. Maybe I'm just used to Hartley.

Oh and, best part:

"The one who looks like the chic from Twilight"

Oliver: What's Twilight?

"Trust me, you're better off not knowing"

:rotfl:lol:rotfl

I can understand why they didn't use Hartley for this Arrow series. They did change his character a fair bit from the comic version (he married Chloe and had a child with her). They couldn't have continued the character on from this, but then it would have been confusing having Hartley play this Arrow with everything being different.

Better off just starting from scratch.

I can understand why they didn't use Hartley for this Arrow series. They did change his character a fair bit from the comic version (he married Chloe and had a child with her). They couldn't have continued the character on from this, but then it would have been confusing having Hartley play this Arrow with everything being different.

Better off just starting from scratch.

Man, I miss Smallville. All of this talk makes me miss it more.

I like the show too. I am very pleased to see Paul Blackthorne.
The New guy seems awfully conservative to me to be the kind of left wing anti-establishment character in the comics.
So he was in a lifeboat with his father with limited provisions. I hope he didn't have to eat his father. Like that soccer team...

Saw the fist episode today... Didn't liked.

There's too much of everything and it paid too little attention so you don't have a time to get used to what's happening. Inner dialogue is an unnecessary thing that only spoil the experience. Too many of pathos and it's very TV-cheap. I liked the actors but when the series isn't interested in character development their work is meaningless.

I like the show too. I am very pleased to see Paul Blackthorne.
The New guy seems awfully conservative to me to be the kind of left wing anti-establishment character in the comics.
So he was in a lifeboat with his father with limited provisions. I hope he didn't have to eat his father. Like that soccer team...

He robs from the rich and gives to the poor using vigilante methods, he pretty much sums up left wing anti-establishment. Maybe you were on the wrong channel. :dunno
You have to realize alot of what hes going to be doing will appear to be extreme contradictions due to his wanting to keep his secrets (in much the same way Batman uses Bruce Wayne)

And as for eating his father... :lol

He robs from the rich and gives to the poor using vigilante methods, he pretty much sums up left wing anti-establishment. Maybe you were on the wrong channel. :dunno
You have to realize alot of what hes going to be doing will appear to be extreme contradictions due to his wanting to keep his secrets (in much the same way Batman uses Bruce Wayne)

And as for eating his father... :lol

I wasn't talking about his actions. I was talking about the actor, in how he behaves, walks, talks, his attitude, ect. He just seems very conservative and kind of conformist to me. He can rob from the rich and give to the poor all day long, but he just doesn't seem like he is really that guy.It's like he is just playing a role or acting with a hidden agenda or something.
Whenever people get shipwrecked or marooned somewhere, ever since I heard about that soccer team, I'm afraid I always fear the worst.:lol

I wasn't talking about his actions. I was talking about the actor, in how he behaves, walks, talks, his attitude, ect. He just seems very conservative and kind of conformist to me. He can rob from the rich and give to the poor all day long, but he just doesn't seem like he is really that guy.It's like he is just playing a role or acting with a hidden agenda or something.
Whenever people get shipwrecked or marooned somewhere, ever since I heard about that soccer team, I'm afraid I always fear the worst.:lol

You're on a boat with no provisions and a stack of meat, what would you do? :rotfl

And I understandwhere you're going with his duality, but I assumed this was what they were shooting for.

Like all new shows. You have to give them sometime before they really become good. The super villain was the easy one.

Cool vid Natrix, thank you! Deathstroke looks beast!

The only update I wish they'd do is give him a mask under the hood instead of green paint or maybe an outlaw type mask over his mouth, I think that would look really good with the hood.

Either way, loved the first episode and I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Back