Clash of the titans remake

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK People
Saw it again today in 3D

wow... it does indeed look terrible!!!
Looks like a freaking Pop-up book...
THAT really bad!!
Avoid 3D at all costs! Seriously! :yuck!
If you can, see it on D-Box seats instead!!
That's much more fun...

Alrighty, time for a review. Yay! I saw this movie this afternoon and despite some flaws, I enjoyed the experience. Now, while I had a good time with the movie, I had a better time making Avatar references the whole movie. How could I not?

Anyways, the movie itself. As I recently stated in a review in another thread, I've seen the original and thought it was a campy, poorly acted mess with a good story. The remake is similar in some regards. Overall, I liked the original's handling of the storyline better. This remake streamlines everything for a modern (i.e. dumb) audience and provides plenty of action, but the original had more depth to it with a more nuanced cast of characters.

With regards to the acting, nobody stands out, even with big names like Ralph Fiennes, Liam Neeson and the new prodigal son of cinema, Sam Worthington. Now this is more likely due to a bland, uninspired script and not acting skills, and it isn't a huge deal seeing as this is an action movie, but I thought I'd mention it. There no Laurence Olivier performance here guys.

All that said, I enjoyed this movie far more than the original. It had some pacing issues and could have used a few more scenes of character development, but the action is very well done and effects are pretty top notch. I thought I was going to hate the Medusa scene from the clips I'd seen, but it turned out to be my favorite sequence from the movie.

Still, as much as we enjoyed it, my buddy and I couldn't stop making Avatar jokes the whole time. When Perseus meets Pegesus for the first time we were like "Make zahalu Jake!" And when one of the main characters dies we couldn't help but throw in a "Go with Aywa now!" At the end of film, while Perseus is atop Pegesus we let loose with a "Taruk Makdow!"

Wow, you are an Avatar geek of the highest order! :bow

I thought I was going to hate the Medusa scene from the clips I'd seen, but it turned out to be my favorite sequence from the movie.

That's the scene that has me most worried as well. Glad you liked it! :)

Haha, I loved Avatar don't get me wrong, but I won't offend any Avatards by claiming to be a major fan. It's just, you know, Sam Worthington flying around through the sky on a winged creature in ancient battle gear against a massive enemy...the similarities are so obvious I just had to poke a little fun.

With regards to the Medusa scene, all the clips had made it looks like she was animated poorly but the scene was edited and put together very well and when you did see Medusa she looked and moved quite realistically. Overall, I'd say the special effects were very well done.

Saw this tonight in 3-D. If I'm honest, you'd be missing nothing if you saw it in 2-D.

The movie was a great fun ride, however, it did seem in a big hurry to get to the next set piece. Although done well, I would have liked to see a bit more tension racked up in the Medusa scene. The Kraken scene was fantastic, a real sense of scale and I thought the Pegasus effect was handled beautifully.

I'd love to see an extended cut of this movie, some bits could do with a tad more time to come alive onscreen. I've had to edit this so not to spoil it for anyone, I'll probably raise my points when a few more folks have had a chance to see it

A fantastic and fun update but no need to see it in 3-D if you're weighing it up.

D
:chew:chew:chew:chew

Last edited:
It was ok. Pretty fun flick. Had some good moments, some bad moments...never really was either good or bad.

Loved the music.

Didnt see it in 3D, and i'm glad. I could tell it would've looked horrible.

I disagree. I saw it in 3D at the XD theater and really enjoyed it. There were some nice effects, especially at the end.

Overall, I loved it. I was really surprised because my expectations were so low. The first 20 minutes had me worried but once the scorpions came into it, it was nonstop.

Finally a nice score too! The guy with the blue eyes was my favorite character.

This movie was just ok, had some realy cheesie bits in it, but I
mast say I was expecting some cheese.

Saw it last night and very mediocre. His Hulk movie was 100 times better!!! The original made it seem like a true adventure. This movie goes from Scorpion to Siren to Medusa to end of the movie.....no Cerebus dogs!!! Even though mentioned.

Well....like you all said....I'm just glad I didn't pay to see it. Horrible dialogue, pacing, characters (besides Perseus), Andromeda was barely used, no Cereberus, hardly any Gods used, don't remember Hades from the original, no taming of Pegasus, no Thetis cursing Andromeda (which actually makes sense, Hades doing it didn't), GOD I could go on and on and on

Last edited:
Yeah, like I said too, the original definitely had a lot more of an engaging storyline/adventure, though I didn't care much for Andromeda in the remake, I did like the character of Io. But then again, being a teenage boy, I'll fall for any girl with a face like hers, bad lines and all =D

I enjoyed it but it wasn't a great film. I probably would not buy it or watch it again.

Trying to compare old and new versions of the same movie is only going to leave you disappointed most of the time. I try and look at it like it's entirely different movie. Hard I know.

Trying to compare old and new versions of the same movie is only going to leave you disappointed most of the time. I try and look at it like it's entirely different movie. Hard I know.

knit picking any movie will do this! :monkey1

I haven't seen the original in years and don't remember most of it, so I can't really compare the two. However, I saw this today in 3D because the two friends I went with insisted on seeing it in 3D. The effect was not nearly as good as Avatar, but that was to be expected. Not god-awful, though.

As far as the story and plot, it was familiar, and somewhat rushed. I felt like the characters with the best actors were underused - Andromeda and Cassiopeia's actresses were both fantastic, though small characters. The soldiers that accompanied Perseus, with the exception of a few, were so similar in appearance that I could never tell who was just killed. I also expected more out of the gods, but instead they cowered in the clouds. Somewhat disappointing.

The effects were fairly well done; some were great - like Pegasus; others, not so much - like the scorpions. I was pleasantly surprised by Medusa's CGI. In the trailers she looked bad, but on the big screen I thought Medusa, and the Kraken, worked quite well. Oh, and some of the matte paintings looked underwhelming. Perhaps, however, this was due to the 3D effect.

I felt like the end battle was lackluster. I expected some Kraken awesomeness, instead it just slammed a tentacle or two into Argos (speaking of which, I could never see where the tentacles actually connected to the Kraken's body), and otherwise stood in the water.

However, this was still an entertaining movie and worth one viewing. Go see it, but save the money and see it in 2D.

it was entertaining, but I came out rather disappointed. Just didnt live up to the hype at all. Wouldnt buy it nor would I even probably watch it again.

Have to agree with most here this was disappointing, it felt rushed, the good actors weren't used much, Sam Worthington should have not used his ozzy accent ( no offence to any Australians ) it just didn't work here, lots missing from the original, bubo, the fighting skeletons,
All in all very disappointing. Shame really.

Back