Chris Howes custom Doctor Who sculpts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the needles would definitely have to be stuck on afterwards!

Great idea, it would need a set of hands sculpting to go with it too!

There are some great things on the horizon here with the Who commissions, but obviously we don't want to do too many at a time. We've only just posted this commission and are still waiting for it to fill up, BUT... I've actually asked Chris though about including neccessary things with heads as needed, like when you need a set a hands to go with a particular humanoid monster (Ex: Sontarans, Kraal, Terileptils) selling those with the head too.
It just makes sense you'd need them, like you said... :)

-Rick :joy

Heads for these figures are all well and good, but is/are there any GOOD 1/6 costumers out there who can make a run of Tom Baker Who Outfits for the figures? I've seen some great work, but everyone seems to focus on 'the head' rather thatn 'what a figure will wear', which can be just as big, if not bigger an issue.
If anyone could create these costumes, then I'd be in for one of Chris's heads, but only 'IF'.
I've wanted a good Tom Baker Who figure for such a long time.

Heads for these figures are all well and good, but is/are there any GOOD 1/6 costumers out there who can make a run of Tom Baker Who Outfits for the figures? I've seen some great work, but everyone seems to focus on 'the head' rather than 'what a figure will wear', which can be just as big, if not bigger an issue.
If anyone could create these costumes, then I'd be in for one of Chris's heads, but only 'IF'.

There are a few that may be able to help, and I absolutely understand where you are coming from. My thought to offering heads without the complicated costumes is that it is at least "eliminating stage one" of the problems of making the custom.

I have a potential lead on that to help you guys out, and I'll try and post on that soon. :)

Last edited:
Heads for these figures are all well and good, but is/are there any GOOD 1/6 costumers out there who can make a run of Tom Baker Who Outfits for the figures? I've seen some great work, but everyone seems to focus on 'the head' rather thatn 'what a figure will wear', which can be just as big, if not bigger an issue.

Back in my earlier cutomizing days, when I first started with making custom Mego Doctor Who stuff, (in the age before the last great Time Wars), I had much the same problem for any human characters I might want to make. Technically, those clothes were even harder to come by, because those were 9" scale and I didn't have all these clothes parted out to at least get me some shoes like I can at 1:6 stores now.

I knew I sure as hell couldn't sew. I tried, and oh yeah, I failed. (laugh).
So I had to figure out "where the heck can I get these clothes made for me?"
So I Googled doll seamstresses. Just generically, to see what I could find.
Most were for American Doll, some were for Barbie, but Barbie was close enough in size I felt comfortable in asking.

So I contacted them to see if they'd be willing. When they were, I had to send them a doll body to make sure they got the size right and lots of researched photo reference. I had to be specific as to what I wanted. Saying "make it like the picture" wasn't enough. I had to say "I want functional pockets, patches on the arms, etc".

If I had existing clothes already that was similar like a jacket that they could use to modify from, it helped them. They would charge $25 to have to make the pattern, because that was extra work for them. And most importantly, I learned even though I don't know the difference between names of materials, the custom would look better if I chose the material (and colors) myself then send them to the seamstress. It really is better to be as involved with the process as possible since the outfits were special costumes and not everyday clothes.

Once done, because she now had the pattern, multiples would be cheaper. Just to be warned going in, all the costume pieces add up. Don't be surprised if the hand-made costume reaches close to a hundred bucks, and for a Tom, that's not including the scarf, which, lets be frank, can be a nightmare depending on how it is accomplished.

I'm saying all this because (awwww crap, he's going to do one of his stupid "Braveheart speeches"!) as customizers, NOTHING you want should be beyond your dreams. You just need to search out the right people to help you. There are tons of people in this hobby or related hobbies just a key board away and a 20 minute google search.

I wanted custom heads. I sought out Ada. Now I've done a thousand times better and found Chris who is a giant Who fan as well, and now everybody is getting heads. You don't even know the announcements we are about to make. :naughty

You need unusual clothes for ANY custom? Any custom at all? I realize the sew-ers on this board are very finite and may have a backlog of projects already, so if you really want it, you guys might need to search elsewhere like I initially did. And I'm not just talking for Who clothes, I mean any awesome custom you've ever wanted done but thought "yeah, but how would I get THAT costume made even if I got the head?"

I KNOW, I used to hit that wall A LOT.

BUT, I'm not going to leave you guys hanging like that. :) I have a few options for you guys first...

As far as 1:6 costumes go, the struggles and pitfalls in this hobby changed dramatically when I found VikkiTX, a very detailed oriented fangirl seamstress Doctor Who fans should know here already. She's a big Doctor Who fan and is big into Doctor Who customs herself. Her eye-boggling website is here.

She made my 1:6 Kolchak the Nightstalker costume and my Phantasm Tall Man costume for me as well and is VERY detail oriented. Unfortunately, almost all of her sewing hobby fun had to stop once she graduated college and entered into the professional workforce which keeps her extremely, extremely busy with little to no free time to sew now.

She has been a huge contibutor to these Doctor Who heads commissions since the beginning, and as such has offered to make a very limited number of Tom outfits (without scarves) for a few people that need them to help support our commissions here, specifically she'll make Tom costumes for the people who pre-pay for the heads up-front, for as many limited slots as she thinks she can realistically squeeze in, first come, first serve.

I just want to warn as far as time, it might take a while. Her job NEEDS to take priority, and because of that, this sewing project may very well take several months to complete because she really is just squeezing them in and has a few projects she needs to finish up first. But the result is a highly-detailed costume made by a fan-girl who really knows the show, and you are guaranteed to get it if you make her limited run list (she'll let me know when she's reached the cut-off point). Once she begins she'll give me occasional updates to pass on here, so please no e-mailing her.

Once you've pre-paid for your heads, I'll let her know and you'll just need to contact and get in touch with her via PM to work out the details.

Last edited:
Scarfs

Scarfs scarfs scarfs scarfs scarfs.

Here is what the Hitch Hikers Guide has to say about scarfs:

"An icon of the televison series Doctor Who, the Tom Baker era multi-colored scarf is perhaps the most vexing part of completing a 1:6 custom of the character. Made fashionable on nerds in the mid-seventies onwards, the enormously long multi-colored scarf caught on in life and at conventions exactly the same way Fred's orange acscot scarf from Scooby Doo has NOT."

How to get a scarf? I've had that same dillemma as well. Option one is searching out and finding/hiring a knitter locally or online.

I did this recently and it ended up costing me 80 clams. Not dollars. Clams. (She was a little weird). :) Besides providing reference and double-checking on the colors I wanted used, I explained I needed the thread to look in scale with a 1:6 doll, so it needed to be thin, not thick. This is what I got:

tom-scarf.gif

Not too shabby, but not the best I've seen out there either, and obviously, pretty expensive. I'm not gonna cry if this is the one I end up keeping, but I think I can try and do even better. I didn't have a great experience working with her however, I really did think she was flakey, so I won't be passing on her information.

OPTION 2-

BillyB has recently made a Season 18 purple scarf out of buying ribbed white material and fabric markers that I think turned out amazing. I am definitely going to try that idea for a classic scarf (supplies already bought) and it cost under 24 dollars (the markers were expensive).

If any of you try that as well and finds it successful, maybe you can get your money back on those markers by offering them here on SSF for the others. :)

The old seamstress I used for some of my older Denys Fisher costumes (pre-Vikki) was Laura Field at https://www.davinadawnsewing.com/. She still does sewing commissions, but specializes in American Girl and Barbie.

I found her to be skilled and willing to make multiples of costumes, but is also where I learned it was better supplying the material for her instead of letting her choose it because her choices could sometimes be goofy. :rolleyes:

Someone out there MIGHT want to contact her about making some Sarah Jane outfits. I'm just saying. Andy Pandy anyone? Of course, first you need to find similar material. :)

I hope this helped you all some.

And THAT'S... one to grow on. :lol

Hey all,
Just wanted to say that if you need any help with the scarves or costumes, I may be able to you help out. Would love to see how the sculpts turn out as well!

BillyB

sarahprofile.jpg

Alright, the voting seems to have sputtered out for now and Chris and I want to keep things moving. I think most people who haven't voted are happy and non-committal for anything and really have no specific preference.

So we are going to zero in then and say that along with the "Planet of Evil" Sarah Jane, we are making a hatless, frowning Tom.
Both heads are $35 each, but shipping is just $5 (and can cover both heads if both are ordered).

Remember people who pre-pay qualify to get costumes made for their Tom by VikkiTX (while openings last!).

This doesn't mean the other possible varients are closed. Making a hatted frowning Tom obviously wouldn't be to hard if people wanted one as well since Chris is going to be making the regular Tom head. People can continue to chime in and say they varients they'd want it. When the list reaches 10 to collect the commission, we'll do it! :)

PM me for Paypal info!
-Rick :)

lol, just to be awkward how about another Tom option featuring the expression in your pic above, Rick? ;) It's a classic Baker expression.

Little thinks bubble - might it be an idea to sculpt his neck just a tad or so longer than normal so he can wrap his scarf around it without disappearing under it? A slight giraffe neck wouldn't be that noticeable under shirt, jacket & scarf and the end dressed result ought to be worth it. 'tis easier to sand down long necks than build short ones up too.

Also, another scarf option - if you can find them cheap anywhere, PE's talking Doctor figure. A couple of those scarves sewn together might work as one is a bit on the short side for a 1/6th figure...

ADAWHO4.JPG

Nick

p.s. Paypal info the same as usual?

lol, just to be awkward how about another Tom option featuring the expression in your pic above, Rick? ;) It's a classic Baker expression.

Little thinks bubble - might it be an idea to sculpt his neck just a tad or so longer than normal so he can wrap his scarf around it without disappearing under it? A slight giraffe neck wouldn't be that noticeable under shirt, jacket & scarf and the end dressed result ought to be worth it. 'tis easier to sand down long necks than build short ones up too.

Also, another scarf option - if you can find them cheap anywhere, PE's talking Doctor figure. A couple of those scarves sewn together might work as one is a bit on the short side for a 1/6th figure...

ADAWHO4.JPG

Nick

p.s. Paypal info the same as usual?

Oh nice! I never saw yours finished, Nick! Very nice! Did you make the costume yourself? I'll talk to Chris about the neck. Not a bad idea. Actually, you're right, that expression above is another classic expression. I think Lalla saw it most. :angelsmil

Yup, Paypals the same!
-Rick :)

Cool idea on the PE scarf! And a good point on the "giraffe neck" to help with the scarf.

I'm glad the outfit I made for you arrived OK. It looks like the 4th Doc has been sucked into the insanity that is Toyville, poor guy. Oh, the horror if Yowie Jack tries to attack a Dalek (or an Olsen twin) with his half-brick-in-a-sock...:rolleyes:

Hello, all!!

I just wanted to chime in on the upcoming Who Collection.

And yes, it will be a collection! I'm going to make sure these are the best Doctor Who heads available anywhere at any price, period. I refuse to be out sculpted on these!!!!

Tom Baker is "my" Doctor, though I enjoy the others. My wife is waiting for me to get to Eccleston and Tennant. They're dreamy.....

Sarah Jane is being roughed out right now. I just received my Dragon body to fit her to and it looks well proportioned. Been watching "the Sarah Jane Adventures" for inspiration. 30 years off, I know, but kinda fun!

Looking forward to these!

Hello, all!!

I just wanted to chime in on the upcoming Who Collection.

And yes, it will be a collection! I'm going to make sure these are the best Doctor Who heads available anywhere at any price, period. I refuse to be out sculpted on these!!!!

Tom Baker is "my" Doctor, though I enjoy the others. My wife is waiting for me to get to Eccleston and Tennant. They're dreamy.....

Looking forward to these!

And there IS a LOT of ground to cover. Everybody has their own favorite era. We are planning on making each one very special. I have my nerd-notebook with ideas and Chris always has a new idea or twelve he mentions he'd like to do every conversation we have, so this is going to be fun!

Oddly enough, I was just looking at my serious-faced Eccleston custom last night which uses the CO Walkie-Talkie modified head and was thinking "man, we really need a custom of him with one of his amazing, grinning ear-to-ear trademark smiles!" FANTASTIC! :banana:banana:banana

A smiling 9th Doctor sculpt?
FANTASTIC idea Rick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back