Doctor Who K-9 commission- Chris Howes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(Updated 11-19-08)

Alright, it's been hinted at for a while now that we had plans and were hoping to do something special for this 1:6 Doctor Who line we've got going, and we're finally ready to announce it.

For those that have been following the range, consider the announcement a Christmas present to all of you who have been so supportive of our efforts, which we thank you all for emmensely.

k9_03.jpg

The title gives it all away really. What Doctor Who set could be complete without a K-9! We're making a 4th Doctor. We're making a Sarah Jane. We're making a Romana II. All they need now is their best friend!

Our ambition for this 1:6 range is not limited to just making heads. Alot of the most wonderful things that makes Doctor Who so great aren't going to be just covered by just making heads--- so K-9 is the first announcement of this sort, showing you the direction we'd like to cover.

First off, K-9's not going to be easy for just one person (Chris!) to cast and mold all of his individual different parts for. Also, we have a lot of ideas for him, but each one raises K-9's price point. To not keep anyone from being able to afford this, we are going to offer 4 different versions of him.

K-9 BASIC VERSION
The basic K-9 will be an unpainted kit in off-white resin (needing minimal assembly). The plan is K-9 will have a movable head, movable ears, removable side-panel so the Doctor can work on his insides to give it some play value, and a clear red lens plate for the eyes. (Sorry gang, no wheels!)
Price $100.

That's because of all the individual parts just one person is going to be casting (2 ears, tail, side panel, head, body, soul) and really, that's only the price of three heads put together, which is as big as K-9 is.

As an incentive for people to pre-pay for the basic version your K-9 will get upgraded to colored resin free of charge as a thank you!

PREMIUM K-9
The Premium K-9 comes as colored resin, painted and assembled for you.
Price: $150.00

And then, this is where it gets real exciting- making toys with electronics is old hat for Chris. He's been doing it for years and is able to do it to trick-out our custom 1:6 K-9's for us! Here we offer two more versions:

SUPER PREMIUM
Same as above, plus LED lights!
Price: $200.00

ULTRA PREMIUM
Same as above, plus SOUND MODULE for dialogue and SFX!
Price: $250.00

doc_sarah_k9.jpg

So there we are. FOUR versions of K-9 are available. Chris is making them no matter what, so they are going to get made. However, Chris has a LOT of projects on his plate right now, just look at the forums, but the ones he starts work on first is the ones he gets paid to start first from your pre-pays. Thats important to remember for any of his many incredible commissions he has going on.
Tell us which list you want to be added to. Contact me for payment info!

-Thanks for looking, gang! This is only the beginning! :chew:chew:chew
-Rick :)

d4-5n-059.gif

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
This K-9 project just got a little more interesting! I went back and edited the first post to reflect the additions, which is the announcement of FOUR different versions of K-9!!!!!!!!!

Hope you are as excited as we are!
-Rick :banana:banana:banana

I'm in! Just have to figure out at which level

Me too! I'd really like the all singing,all dancing version but I'll have to get Christmas out of the way first before I can say for sure.

I am most likely in, depending on post christmas ongoing economic meltdown finances :lol but also not sure at which level.

So how big would a 1:6 K-9 be?

Gallifreyan Classroom moment:
12" figures are 1:6 scale, so saying K-9 is 1:6 (or anything else prop-wise), means they will be in scale to go with other 12" figures (in this case, meaning K-9 will be the correct size- approx. up to a 12" figures knees?).

This is where you need to be careful when buying things, because Character Options Daleks are 12" tall, and you may think "Oh cool, they will work with my 12" figures", but they actually won't, because they are not 1:6 scaled. They are literally 12" tall, and are waaaay bigger than a Dalek is supposed to be if a human is 12".

Next week we will be discussing trans-dimensional incidentiality and why potato chip bags are so roomy, yet they only fill them up with 1/5 worth of chips. (Hint: They're BASTARDS!).

So how big would a 1:6 K-9 be?

Excellent question.... I was just figuring that out tonight!

I found some K-9 blueprints that, if they can be trusted, yield measurements at 1/6 scale of: 4.4" to top of head, 7.3" from tip of tail to tip of nose, and 3" at widest point.

Sounds about right, but I'll double check.

Potato chips, on the other hand...... well, it's a mystery.

Here's the theme song from the ill-fated "K-9 and Company".

Imagine having a 20 second clip of that play from your 1/6 K-9 every time someone picks him up!! Just one possibility. I may even take special requests. Just keep it to 20 seconds or less for best quality sound.

This is the sound module I'm leaning towards. Needs a speaker....

It would fit inside nicely, I think.

da63.jpg

Just thought a few geeks like me would like to see it. :D

Here's the theme song from the ill-fated "K-9 and Company".

Imagine having a 20 second clip of that play from your 1/6 K-9 every time someone picks him up!! Just one possibility. I may even take special requests. Just keep it to 20 seconds or less for best quality sound.

This is the sound module I'm leaning towards. Needs a speaker....

It would fit inside nicely, I think.

da63.jpg

Just thought a few geeks like me would like to see it. :D

Ha! Maybe we can have a "salty" version where Tom swears at him at the end of an out-take! :horror :)

At end of video, not work safe!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NubVOilRU3E

Last edited:
So maybe 3 inches high? just now realizing that this guy will be sort of,
you know, small. Not that this is wrong mind you.

Gallifreyan Classroom moment:
12" figures are 1:6 scale, so saying K-9 is 1:6 (or anything else prop-wise), means they will be in scale to go with other 12" figures (in this case, meaning K-9 will be the correct size- approx. up to a 12" figures knees?).

This is where you need to be careful when buying things, because Character Options Daleks are 12" tall, and you may think "Oh cool, they will work with my 12" figures", but they actually won't, because they are not 1:6 scaled. They are literally 12" tall, and are waaaay bigger than a Dalek is supposed to be if a human is 12".

Next week we will be discussing trans-dimensional incidentiality and why potato chip bags are so roomy, yet they only fill them up with 1/5 worth of chips. (Hint: They're BASTARDS!).

So maybe 3 inches high? just now realizing that this guy will be sort of,
you know, small. Not that this is wrong mind you.

No, should be about 4.4 inches tall. It's more substantial than you think. I'll post an image later that if you print it out at 100% will show you the real size of a 1/6 K-9.

In fact, I'm starting to wonder if I underestimated material cost! :horror But that's my problem, now...:rolleyes:

Hey guys new here and was wondering if I show pics of my custom Police Box would that be acceptable and if so all I need to do is learn how to post.Sorry this is probably the wrong place to put this message.
But I have been lookin at the posts and would be Interested. And was wondering are there any pics of Chris's Tom sculpt

Last edited:
Back