Doctor Who 1:6 classic K-9

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey gang,
I've bled enough from the Howes debacle to start caring about 1:6 and trying to get more 1:6 Doctor Who things made for us again.

Right now we have BillyB's awesome Matt Smith sculpt out there, Mr Barlow has his Delgado Master coming up, and I have the Revenge of the Cybermen kits coming in a few months (fingers crossed).

However, I just recently reached out about getting a 1:6 K-9 prop made for us and someone on the board is actually interested in doing it, but we wanted to pass the idea by on here to gauge peoples interest. Progress pics will be shown as we have them.

The idea is to make a 1:6 K-9 AFFORDABLE, without a lot of bells and whistles so it which would just drive the price up, (with the exception that it will have a light-up eye!)

Sound off and let me know how you guys feel!
-Rick

dr_who_tom_baker_louise_jameson_and.jpg

INTERESTED/POTENTIALLY INTERESTED

The Toupee
BillyB
Inked Dalek (x2?)
Jiminy Dog
BCM77
theobsoleteman
theguru1
Miskatonic Nick
sci-fi67
D_jedi1
Ironman1188
KatyaR
Tekkamanblade
Abstract Harmony
CaptainJamesBrooke
Uriah10
TJG
Les?
Marfaisaman

Last edited:
Here are some mock-up pics I recieved already in trying to gauge the correct 1:6 size. Google has been my enemy with finding good pics with K-9's size scale for height where he's next to someone. If anyone out these has some, please post! (Tragical History tour hasn't been working for me!)

p2260221.jpg

p2260232.jpg

p2260227.jpg

Nice Idea im not a Dr Who fan but id be amazed if many werent all over this!

Classic K9 = WIN ( providing of course we get it sometime this century :lol )

I hear that. I think we're all burned out on long waits for everything around here after last year. Look how fast he made the mock-ups though! I think we're in good hands. :)

thanks WST! PM sent to billyb. (Need an Eleven to go with Nine, Ten and my 1/6 Tardis...)

Its a real shame that the actions of 1 person (he who must not be named) has put doubt in peoples minds when considering signing up for custom pieces. I dont blame these people at all but I think this guys got a good thing going especially going on how quickly he got the cardboard mock ups for scale assembled.

I hear that. I think we're all burned out on long waits for everything around here after last year. Look how fast he made the mock-ups though! I think we're in good hands. :)

It definitely ate up a lot of my enthusiasm but if this K9 works out it'll sure help put the bad memories behind us.

Are these going to be fully assembled and painted?

There aren't going to be that many parts to him (head, body, ears, tail, handles, red eye piece), so it's not going to be like putting together one of those model cars :horror. The main body would be maybe one piece (not 8 that need to be assembled), so he'll be very simple. It will be unpainted. Again, K-9 is a pretty easy paintjob. I will eventually make a collar we can print out and use in photoshop unless someone ebats me to it.

We haven't discussed the possibility of maybe casting it in grey. Chris had said back in the day that was a little expensive and the point is to keep it cheap, and I thought I read elsewhere it made casting...harder or more brittle. Don't rememebr which.

For those that absolutely NEED it assembled, that may be possible. We're still early in the day. Hmmm, yet at the same time, the few electronic do dads might need to be pre-put in.

So here's my question to all of you- there can always be a vanilla, cheaper K-9 base figure for those that want it. From there, how important are other things to you guys like him being cast in grey as a slightly more expensive version to cover the cost, ot how many would want him already pre-assembled and painted. Let me know so we can figure things out and see the demand for who wants what.
-Rick :)

Hmmm, yet at the same time, the few electronic do dads might need to be pre-put in.

The electronics really were my main concern. I used to build model planes and cars when I was a kid so that's not a problem, but the electronic stuff is over my head.

So here's my question to all of you- there can always be a vanilla, cheaper K-9 base figure for those that want it. From there, how important are other things to you guys like him being cast in grey as a slightly more expensive version to cover the cost, ot how many would want him already pre-assembled and painted. Let me know so we can figure things out and see the demand for who wants what.
-Rick :)

I'd be fine with it being unassembled as long the electronic bits are taken care of. I don't think it needs to be cast in grey either, as it's easy enough to hit him with a coat of silver spray paint, and even if it were cast in grey most would probably still paint it anyway.

Do you have a general idea yet on the cost?

Do you have a general idea yet on the cost?

Haven't even gone to Radio Shack to look at prices for the electronics.
We want to keep the price fair and affordable. The previous Howes concept packed with everything was waaay too expensive and just kept way too many people out of being able to get one. That's my main concern. Everyone should be able to get one if they want it, but it means sacrificing play more options with him, which I don't see as a big deal.

So the base for starting to figure out the price for K-9 and even the Cybermen kits is: scratch built heads general start at $30-$35, then figure out from there resin and electonics.

Last edited:
To be honest, I don't even really care that much about it having a light up eye. Maybe you could offer a non-electronic version?

Hey Rick put me down for a K-9. Always wanted a 1/6th K-9. Need that little fella so in times of need my 1/6th Tom Baker can pull him along with his scarf.

If it didn't cost too much, then a 1/6th K9 could be rather tempting.

Don't care about it lighting up, so basic version would be fine, however, I would need it to be fully assembled, painted, survive postage to down under and be a good enough quality sculpt and paint apps to match the Weta statues, since that's what he would be sitting next too.

Back