Chewbacca 1/6 and PF idea

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithlord1975

Super Freak
Reaction score
We all know WE want real fur and all that.

But am I the only who thinks if we ever want to see these figures or PF, and for it to not look stupid or a dumb kids doll, and not be super expensive, that it might be better to just have sculpted fur?

There isn't a single statue I own where they used real hair. Everything is sculpted, be it long or short hair, pony tails whatever.

Maybe with a good sculpt with fine details, and a good paint job, maybe just a sculpted look with good facial likeness, and media such as his strap accessory is the best way to go.

A more detailed version of the 3/4 toys we grew up with.

I'd rather have that, then NOTHING at all, because they can't figure it out or want to make sure it looks good or is cost effective.

Last edited:
I think fur is possible, as my buddy Barry is proving.

chew19.jpg

I agree, although real hair could be cool, up keep is the major concern and I do not believe its very practical. Given the amazing detail HT are giving with captn jack sparrow's hair and the likes, a detailed sculpted chewie I think will be superior.

I'm OK with sculpting for most things (like say the upcoming TaunTaun) but it just wouldn't work for me with Chewie. The way the fur hangs around his arms and the exposed joints (especially the neck) would make it really awkward for posing and honestly I don't think it would look very good.

There's a reason 1:6 Chewie hasn't come out with either fur or sculpted from any of the highend companies like SSC or HT and that's because it would look like crap (sculpted) or be prone to tons of QC/production issues (fur). A sculpted Chewie would be fine in 1:4 statue format, but not 1:6 where people are expecting posibility and articulation.

Personally I'd rather they take their time and release him once they've solved all the issues than rush a half-baked figure out the door (I'd definitely pass if he looks anything like a big 3 3/4" toy). For the time being there is a ton of stuff on the horizon that's already going to beat the crap out of my wallet (Darth Vader, Snowtrooper, probot, Bossk, Hoth/Bespin environments, maybe a landspeeder) in addition to the three or four things I have on pre-order. I'm totally content to bide my time while SSC or HT figure out how best to manufacture as iconic a character as Chewie.

A furry PF Chewie would be cool, but I would be ok with a sculpted PF Chewie at this point.

I think everyone would prefer a Chewbacca with fur but I just don't see it being cost effective or practical for mass production. For me it's more about a pose (PF) and the accessories. I think it would look awesome as a sculpt.

Sculpted gets my vote. Real fur would be a pain to keep clean. I think it would become a dust magnet.

This thread is worthless without real fur.:)

I don't mind sculpted hair for shorter hair or smaller amounts like on Qui-Gon's head.

But some of the coolness on a Chewbacca figure would be getting his hair like it was blowing around in the wind on Hoth ot Tattooine.

I would accept a sculpted 1:6 Chewbacca if it is done well, but I want a real fur one a hell of a lot more.

I would rather have it sculpted as there are other things chewy can wear that can be mixed media. It would be a nightmare to keep clean for most people long term and I think it would just look better sculpted. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one with fur myself but I guess I would have to see a proto first.

Since it seems real fur would be very fragile and difficult to clean, it'd be cool if they sold extra fur suits that you could slide onto the body..

Since it seems real fur would be very fragile and difficult to clean, it'd be cool if they sold extra fur suits that you could slide onto the body..

Great idea!! Then you could take it to the dry cleaners...:lol

If they can put a man on the moon they can make a 1/6th furry Chewbacca. I think we will eventually have one.

I'm definitely on the sculpted side of the camp. A fur Chewie would just deteriorate over time & get REAL ratty, real quick. It might look more realistic, but it would make for one terrible figure IMO.

I think a sculpted one is totally possible - they just need to use the softer polymer (or whatever you call it) around the joints to hide them & retain flexibility, & get all the fur layering right with the same approach. Just think of the little Hasbro VOTC figure - in principle, that's the way to go for my money.

I'll just chase down an Attackus statue if the 1/6 figure doesn't work out.

Personally I would prefer real-fur but I would definitely buy him if it was sculpted-fur instead. I wonder if SSC would consider making a 1/6th scale sculpted-fur statue (with possible switch out parts like my frikkin' incredible GG Stormtrooper statue, he is on display right behind my SSC Vader) to tide us over until a truly amazing real-fur figure could be flushed out. How did those HT POTA Gorillas come out and hold up?

Back