[CGL Toys] X-Men: Phonenix Girl 1/6 scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a decent figure. Clothing is great. Head sculpt is adequate. I like it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455467321.250632.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455467331.218584.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455467338.486337.jpg
Please excuse cyclops without his shoes!

Not that I can remember. I'll check tomorrow but I'm pretty sure she doesn't. I had always planned to use the wolverine stand.

This does not come with a stand. Just the figure, two heads, and four hands.

Good thing I was home!
Fed Ex just dropped off my Phonenix Girl...at my neighbors house.
At first it was just a white box truck,no FED EX logo any where.
I only knew when the driver got out and dropped a shoebox size package next door.
I quickly ran to check my shipping e-mail and sure enough it said delivered.
I yelled at the driver and got his attention,he now moved across the street.
Turns out he delivered my neighbors package to 2 wrong houses.
The guy looked like Mark Ruffalo,if he hadn't slept or bathed in 3 weeks.
Will take pics later

Waiting for mine to arrive. Going to plop the 'normal' head onto a new body and try to make her look a bit more Famke. Stumbled across this custom too so it is definitely possible to make her face look less cartoony...

Jean action figure 7.jpg

Another quick mash up using Famke's real mouth. The mouth on the figure does seem to be more of a problem than the eyes but I tweaking think both will help.

Jean action figure comparison 1a.jpg

This is just a mash up using Gimp to demonstrate that the head sculpt might not be as bad as it first appears. I've never tried any painting on 1:6 and at this point, I have no idea if my painting skills can turn this into reality. It also looks as though Mike Dela Paz has done a repaint on her eyes already in the above pic (and made her lips more red) so the 'raw' figure might be more challenging. He's definitely done a good job styling her hair, which also helps.

I'm going to have a play when she arrives to see if my skill is up to the task. If I think it's doable but not with my level of skill, I might just commission a repaint.

One thing I did notice was that pasting eyes and mouth onto this sculpt can make it look more Famke, whereas pasting them on the X2 custom sculpt doesn't. So the face shape, nose, and eyebrows on this figure are closer to the actress. The custom sculpt, while far better in terms of look, doesn't seem to have the right nose and jaw-line.

That said, even before the re-paint, you can see shades of Famke in the right side partial profile. I'm not 100% convinced that this is reflected from all other angles. I'll have a better idea when she's in hand. My work to date has been on 6" and 7" figures and 25-32mm gaming figures where the likenesses are more cartoony so, while I think I might be able to improve the official paint job, which butchers her likeness, I think that I might not be up to the task of 1:6 painting to really bring out Famke. Here are two more Gimp mash ups.

It looks to me that the shape of the eyes are not too bad but the over-sized iris is just wrong. I think maybe painting in a slight eyelid, slightly heavier eye-liner, de-accentuate the lip interaction with the fultrim, widen the mouth and maybe plump out the lips. The pics below have open mouths so they are not overly helpful.

Jean action figure 3.jpgJean action figure 5.jpg

Wow - trim the hair and plop the figure head onto an X1 uniform and I am in love. I'm thinking if there is potential to gain this effect, a professional repaint is the way to go. Need to take a good look at the mouth when the figure arrives.

Jean- action figure 10.jpg

Only the head is the figure - the body is the real Famke from an X1 promo shot. I just blurred the head to try and match the resolution of the body. Figure Masters are working on an X1-3 Storm (visible in the background of one of the Magneto pictures on their facebook page), so a decent uniform is a future possibility. For now, I'm going to squeeze her into the leather jumpsuit that's available on ebay. She won't look this good sadly!

Edit: Ah my bad - you meant the Dark Phoenix one? Just search for the artist, I think he mentioned who designed the outfit somewhere in his blog.

Straightened the hair and attempted a repaint. Sadly she looks more like Melana Trump than Famke Janssen. She does look better than the original paint job. I'll try a bit more before I give up. Doll hair is a hideous pain. I wince every time a hair falls out. Might still trim it to shoulder length but only if feeling brave.

Her eyes look a bit wonky in this pic. Darn.

_0368.JPG

I've done a bit more work. I can almost see a likeness coming out now. Just not sure how much more my limited skills can tease out further.

Jean- action figure 11.jpg

Nice work so far! How'd you manage to straighten the hair?

Did you do anything to your FigureMasters Magneto? The unhelmeted sculpt looks really good in that pic there. Could you post more pics? I have one coming and want to know if I need to do any touch ups. Thanks!

Nice work so far! How'd you manage to straighten the hair?

Did you do anything to your FigureMasters Magneto? The unhelmeted sculpt looks really good in that pic there. Could you post more pics? I have one coming and want to know if I need to do any touch ups. Thanks!

Magneto is good as is.

Dunked Jean's hair in a mug of boiling water and carefully combed through holding the hair to minimise hair loss. You want to retain some kink if you can.

Start with the lips. I've tried using ink to reshape them and a pin to widen her mouth and try to hint more of a smile. I wish I'd sorted the lips first. Her eyes are still a bit scary.

I think I am going to quit while I'm ahead. I'll put some varnish on her eyes to shine them up and ask my friend to do something nicer with the hair. Magneto as you can see looks good enough as he is! Go Ian!

_20161013_203012.jpg
_0384.JPG

Back