Buying multiples of Ltd editions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoods77

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like to get peoples opinions on oher poeple buying multiple kits of limited runs. For example people buying 2 or 3 SS exclusives like the Pred marquette, it has a run of only 300 for the whole world and peolple are buying more than one so ohters miss out.

Is this greedy? I mean why have more than one, is it to keep one packaged and the other for display, I thinkthat's crazy, if you look after it your kit should stay mint for a lifetime. Anyway I'd be interested in other thoughts.

cheers

The only reason I see in someone buying doubles or more of a maquette/statue is for "investment" purposes, which I don't criticize since everyone's free to do what they want with their money. However, in the case of articulated figures, like the 12" ones, there's people who buy for investment and/or to keep packaged for display. I frankly don't understand why would someone want to keep a 12" figure sealed and not display it, if it wasn't for investment, but to each their own.

Other thoughts, well spell check comes to mind, just kidding, I agree but if you have that kind of money you should be able to do whatever you want.

With Sideshow, they set the limits of how many can be purchased, trying to spread the availability. With Hot Toys, who knows how many thousands are being made, and they aren't available direct from Hot Toys themselves, so there's many ways to obtain multiples.

In the end, if only 300 are made of any item, there are always going to be people that miss out, even if each person bought one.

Yeah, it's greedy, financially or otherwise, justified or not.

Its greedy when people bypass the policies but if there is no rule or stipulation against it, then fair game.

To each their own.
Some ppl buy these instead of stocks. I know of at least one person that does this.

I don't see a problem with buying multiple. First come first served. You want something, go out and get it and not wait.

With Sideshow, they set the limits of how many can be purchased, trying to spread the availability. With Hot Toys, who knows how many thousands are being made, and they aren't available direct from Hot Toys themselves, so there's many ways to obtain multiples.

In the end, if only 300 are made of any item, there are always going to be people that miss out, even if each person bought one.

Yeah, it's greedy, financially or otherwise, justified or not.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/general/dluxs-lucha-moola-is-ready-for-a-fight/?tracker=4075"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://toysplenty.com/wordpressblog/general/dluxs-lucha-moola-is-ready-for-a-fight/?tracker=4075" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

I don't know if it's greedy (maybe close), I think you should be able to do what you want with your money, if this is the way people want to invest their money, then go for it.

I don't know if it's greedy (maybe close)
I said it was greedy, because why would anyone need more than one of any collectible? As stated above, as an investment. Even if you have one for display and one to keep whole and untouched in it's box, that extra one is an investment. What other good is having it Mint in Box? An investment, in case it gets destroyed by light, dust, earthquake, flood, possible degradation due to unknown effect of time on rubber, to sell for a profit, to gift, or as security in case the first one breaks.

Greed is "excessive or rapacious desire, esp. for wealth or possessions". Greed is a moral dilemma, so it isn't unlawful. I'm not trying to change your opinion on what you think is greedy, nor condemning anyone for being greedy. People are entitled to do as they wish with their money. I was just calling a spade a spade.

But some people don't just keep multiples in box. Some people display them proudly all in a row because they are so awesome. Have you seen the T-800 Arnold 1:1 bust, now have you seen two of them together:rock2

Nope haven't seen it. Army builders are impressive, but other than the obvious Clone style Troopers and Terminators, why would you need an army of identical characters? I can see it for the 1/6 scale figures, but PF's and larger, while impressive, is just overkill. Particularly if they are all in the same pose.
Yeah, it's greedy, financially or otherwise, justified or not.
Greedy for attention perhaps. I incorporated that in the "otherwise" of my quote above.

I personally dont see the point in having multiples, especialy
of the larger scale stuff but if you have the cash and that's
your thing then more power to you.

I can't afford to buy more than one of something. :lol

Plus, I'm not really good at picking what a good investment would be.

Beanie baby anyone? :(

Some people call it greed, some call it capitalism. I don't always like it when I gotta pay a premium for a collectible I want, but more often than not, I can get a collectible for less than retail if I have patience.

It's your money, invest or buy as you wish.

It's greedy to want more than you actually really need.

Is it wrong to be greedy? That's a matter of perspective.

I always buy for myself for my own collection, never with the intention of reselling, that is why I very rarely resell items. I also like helping people, I ordered a few times for friends not asking for extra money. If talking about investments I think toys are not the best choice.

Doesn't matter you earn $200 by selling an toy a couple of years later, if you bought it for your collection, and because of some problems you have to sell it, that would be ok IMO. But if you stack up collectibles with the idea only of reselling later at higher price, then I'd say is greedy. It reminds me a lot of the Collector's Gallery Online store owner...

I don't care what others do with their money.

My advise to those bothered by some of the high resell prices, is not to wait months or years to buy. Expecting to pay retail for limited editions that haven't been made in years, and probably never will get made again, is illogical.

Back