Building/3D printing a figure, and finding out how as i go along :)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bow is awesome!!! Well done! That will be cool to pose her with

Thx it is! Here's a test i did earlier. Unfortunatly she cant hold up the bow on her own when shooting, hopefully i can change that! Thicker elastic string should arrive soon, will retry with that or tighten up this a bit more.
The arrow is just a test, its too thick but i couldnt really find anything else to use for the shaft.
Also still thinking about the hair, with this head i hope to insert pieces of braided string..see how that looks. Just a bit more tweaking, getting closer tho :)

WP_20150102_003.jpg

WP_20150102_001.jpg

Looks great man, been following you on DA and on here for a long time, finally made an account. :)

Oel ngati kameie!

Looks great man, been following you on DA and on here for a long time, finally made an account. :)

Oel ngati kameie!

Thanks and welcome here! There is awesome stuff to see (and collect) here on the forum, sure you will like it.
Well i'm a bit behind schedule on the figure, should have shipped the figure for paint already!
But i broke two pieces during clean up, they still work but i want it to be 100%
New version of the printing software changed things alot (PreForm, free to download and try if you want to have a look).
It made printing things easier to print but harder to clean up. Its alot better tho, just have to get used to it again.
And then my cat went playing with the bow and tossed it off the table.. and a small piece broke off :(
So had to reprint it and found out i actually missed her armguard (to go with the bow and arrow).
Made one in 3D and its being printed right now. Dye everything blue this weekend and finally done!

WP_20150205_006.jpg

when can we start sending you funds for this?

Hey thanks! Well now that the designing part is more or less done i like to have the updated figure (currently those the parts in box) completly done, painted, hair and stuff. Make a few good pictures of it just to really give an idea what it is. And then perhaps also some more pictures or a video of a clear body just to show the good and bad of it. And then see whats possible, based on howmany people would like one and take it from there?

I love that you made Eytukans old bow for her its a nice touch. One thing I might add is you show her shooting right handed, however JC made all Na'vi shoot left handed so they'd all shoot like Zoe.

E1151628-10B2-4F94-A726-14926642438E_zpsgiwoqbo1.jpg

I love that you made Eytukans old bow for her its a nice touch. One thing I might add is you show her shooting right handed, however JC made all Na'vi shoot left handed so they'd all shoot like Zoe.

Thanks for the tip, didnt know that! And just in time, i'll print a mirrored set of hands and armguard tomorrow!
And as a lefty myself i should have known ofc :)

Thanks for the tip, didnt know that! And just in time, i'll print a mirrored set of hands and armguard tomorrow!

hey no prob, that's great that it's that easy to fix. :)

Another thing to be mindful of in posing is that all the Navi use a finger position that is an inverted version of a recurve firing draw. Instead of the hand straight up and down, they hold their hand more like they are using a release aid(Even though they still use their fingers).

Neytiri_Arrow.png

Thanks, didnt know that either. So its like this then?

Yeah. There's a whole segment on the documentary on the blu ray where Cameron details that he wanted their draw to be different, and the archery experts all said that draw couldn't be done.
So Cameron picked up a bow and fired a few ends that way to show it could be. And they all agreed with him.
I used to fire compound and with a release aid, that is how you draw anyway.

Thanks for the positive replies guys, thats always very motivating on a big project like this!
Reason for the lack of updates is that i shipped my latest version of the printed figure to the US some time ago. Some parts got damaged and i had to reprint and ship those again :( So that all took some time but the figure is now all there, Steven Giunta is doing his magic paint work on it now. When i get it back i can assemble her and hopefully show a complete figure. Cant wait!

neytiri_figure_posing_by_fierox-d8cq9fj.jpg

Your progress on her is beautiful. I forgot you were working on the bow.
Guess I'll have to follow your awesome work here now :D
Hope all is going wonderfully!

Back