Building/3D printing a figure, and finding out how as i go along :)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx, yeah the bow turned out great, its going to be a very nice accessoire to the figure. And its big too, about 40 cm (15.7") long. Cant wait to see it in color :)

WP_20150505_002.jpg

Also been ages since i did a side by side comparison so here are some quick pictures. Although there are some differences i'm pretty happy with the way they go together :)

jaken%2Ben%2Bney2.jpg

jaken%2Ben%2Bney.jpg

that side by side looks incredible!!!!...I really can't wait to paint mine up and add all the needed items...that bow is going to look amazing!!!!!....when can I send my payment for this beauty!!!!

She looks perfect next to Jake. You did what HT should have done.

This is really exciting, keep up the good work!

Thx for the interest! Slow going but i've been using this figure alot to try and learn stuff. So yeah i do have a few updates :).
Unfortunatly i dont have a painted figure yet but i did improve the strenght of the joints. For that i changed things around on my second test figure. Did some small changes so i could use a ball jointed doll approach to keep everything tight. Basically every part is hold tight using elastic strings inside. Feet, hands and faces can still be removed ofc. But they are hold tight by strings aswell.
Really happy how it turned out. Especially since this figure has been taken apart multiple times and has seen some abuse.
Ordered a thicker string that will hopefully get things even better then the string i had at home. Hope to have that sorted this week, look forward to try. This body is probably as good as i'm going to get it then :)
Next to that i also tried to do her hair. Since she has braids i didnt really want to use a little wig or mohair. Tried but wasnt too happy. Also tried 3D printing the hair and although possible it was quite fragile and it just didnt look good when you rotate her head.
Finally went with different types of string, braided and waxed, for the hair. The waxed string is really nice since you can also bend it in ways you like. Didnt really do that much in the pics below tho, it falls pretty good and i wanted to see how its looking after a few weeks first.
So here's a few pics of that. With a painted scalp it should look pretty good i think. Happy how it turned out :)
first_part_of_her_hair_done_by_fierox-d8wxwo0.jpg

Need to cut it a little and add some tiny beads to complete it :)

Well finally the body is done. Restringing it went great. A double 2.5 mm string is now holding everything tight. Only downside is that it is a little harder to remove her hands and feet. They are hold tight by the string aswell on little hooks that need to be pulled out a little to put a different hand in. Its not too bad tho, i'm just happy its staying tight. Especially the ankles!
Started testing her outfit a little. Never did any of this so its a bit experimenting aswell. Her cloth piece sits pretty good and is removable using a little magnets Works pretty well sofar :)

another_neytiri_figure_update_by_fierox-d93319i.jpg

Thx Levit, i'll start looking into some more it and see whats possible.

I want it!!...:)
x2

I need it for my Hot Toys Jake :)

Man she looks great, just the loin cloth alone has totally changed her. When she's all painted up and decked out with what little she wears, she will look perfect. She wore so many different outfits in the movie you should have a ton of choices, or create a totally new one.

Just to give an update because i still get asked about this thread from various places now and then. I send a printed model to Steven Giunta for painting but i havent heared from him in over a year and so i consider it stolen.
Not that smart because i never UV treated it so its probably to brittle for posing by now. Quite stupid because i had already promised him a model for free (glad i still have that one at home). I had planned to release the model through Shapeway aswell (already had it there ready for print) but decided against it since that would legitimize his printed model. So sorry for those who had hopes for that.

I'll leave it at that and move back in the shadows and go back to watching...

He's well known here right? Hope it turns out ok. I really wanted to see this happen.

Man that's too bad. I was loving the possibilities of this project.

I too wonder what happened to Steven. I remember a lot of people talking in the Star Wars section about heads they had sent him to paint that they hadn't heard back about.

had no idea this had died!!...i also had no idea that it had been sent to Steven...i last spoke with him sometime early in 2016...don't know what happened....but if there was ever glimmer of hope to making this happen...i would be willing to buy.....please let us know....thanks again....:)

Thx for the support guys! Certainly appreciated! But 3D printing parts is quite expensive for a 44 cm tall figure so i'm not sure if ill do more work on this.
Instead of spending my extra money on 3D printing materials i rather spoil myself with a few PF statues first (making this figure cost about the same. Its fun, but expensive!

Just to give an update because i still get asked about this thread from various places now and then. I send a printed model to Steven Giunta for painting but i havent heared from him in over a year and so i consider it stolen.
Not that smart because i never UV treated it so its probably to brittle for posing by now. Quite stupid because i had already promised him a model for free (glad i still have that one at home). I had planned to release the model through Shapeway aswell (already had it there ready for print) but decided against it since that would legitimize his printed model. So sorry for those who had hopes for that.

I'll leave it at that and move back in the shadows and go back to watching...
Steven Giunta stiffed me for $270 and two Rick Hurrt heads I’d sent him for modification and painting. I found him last month on another site and asked him about them. He responded and said he thought he’d sent everyone’s orders out and that if not, he must still have my heads. I had saved the emails from 2014 through 2017 and provided those for him. Of course now he’s gone silent again.

He’s an active member on theRPF.com. If you never received your model back from him, I would suggest trying to get in touch with him there.

Back