Building/3D printing a figure, and finding out how as i go along :)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think, that you can find here someone, who will mold it and cast it and then someone, who will paint it for you and for other with profit for you ;)

Well, I think, that you can find here someone, who will mold it and cast it and then someone, who will paint it for you and for other with profit for you ;)

Yeah youre right, i got a few suggestions that open up new possibilities in taking this figure further.
Thanks alot for that guys!
This model will go to RavenEye for a repaint. Look forward to see what he can do!
In the meanwhile i'm just going to finish tweaking the figure, should be almost done :)

@Steven; you contact me today but it seems your inbox is full so i couldnt reply.

Thanks all, really helped getting my motivation back up!
After being pretty sick it was fun tweaking it some more this week.
Lots of small things done on the joints and stuff like increasing the degree of rotation the joints have while keeping the same look. Tips or suggestions, love to hear!
Dont have a facebook account but i do have some more stuff on my deviantpage: https://fierox.deviantart.com/

Anyway, posing from a nice angle:

latest_figure_update_by_fierox-d7e85q3.jpg

And all the side views:

figure_update_by_fierox-d7e82u3.jpg

Not that much actually. I have a new version ready to print but i'm waiting for some current developments like Raveneye's work on the figure.
There is some interesting stuff on the 3D side tho, Shapeways is now offering an Elasto plastic material, a flexible material. Perfect for the tail ofc but perhaps also for other bits. Prices havent dropped tho and my Pontiac'engine died unfortunatly and i had to get a new car first. So that tempered my printing need somewhat :(

I can't say enough on how amazing this figure is. Its so awesome to see someone so passionate about a project.
Still makes me mad that Hot Toys hasn't done anything else with the Avatar license. :gah:

I've done a lot of Avatar customs myself, but they've all been in the small scale along with their own Pandora diorama to match.
I really look forward to seeing how this progresses. :clap

Thats good motivation, thanks!
Yes its too bad they didnt do a Neytiri figure and a few others after Jake. Like an Amp suit with Quaritch?
Perhaps the statues just did it alot better?
Guess we just have to solve some of it ourselves.. too bad the printing is so expensive or i would build that aswell :D

BTW your Pandora diorama looks awesome!

Yeah it makes me sad because they could have done so much with the license other than just Na'vi figures. Jake complete with wheelchair, Grace, Norm, Quaritch, Trudy. Man so much potential that was never tapped into. A war paint Neytiri and Tsu'tey would have just been incredible. But we can dream can't we. haha

Thanks, its my masterpiece and my passion. I made two parts for the one that's in my sig and I started working on an Iknimaya one as well but haven't fignished it yet.
Here's a shot of my clan that I have made over the years using the Mattel figures. For the male characters are made using pieces from War paint Tsu'tey, regular Tsu'tey, Akwey, and Eytukan. All the female characters are made from Neytiri figures because that was the only figure I had to work with. haha

Hello,

Time to revive this thread. Been idle for way too long already!
Well sofar i havent been very lucky getting this figure painted. First a local printer didnt do a real good job on it and now the painter i found here unfortunatly didnt get around to it either in the last half year. Hope to atleast get my figure back soon tho.
Anyway i kept quiet while waiting for my prototype to get painted and got a bit disapointed by it all but in the end i like it too much to quit and decided to focus more on the stuff i can do myself and try and improve on that.
So after some research i went back to a 3D home printer i had read about before some time ago.
Ordered a printed sample and after some questions and testing their software i decided to buy and try their printer, the form1+ from formlabs.
I picked this printer because its an SL type printer that should be able to deliver the detail i think is required.
It arrived today and i'll start playing with it printing this figure. See how it goes and good or bad ill post the results here :)

The figure already has several changes and i plan to add some more (should be able to add more detail).
Will try a head with hair (still not sure about using real or sculpted hair) and looking into more accesoires.

Setting up the printer:
WP_20141120_010.jpg

Latest version of the figure:

Edwin

Last edited:
Thx! didnt want to cheat on size and so the bow is actually cut into four pieces to fit the printer, its pretty big. Hope it will be printable in a nice way.
The long ponytail i made out of loose (necklace like) shackles shaped a little like braided hair. That will be fun to see, if i'm not using real hair this way it should still fall a bit natural :)

Well here it is my first print, still a bit wet. And the next part is already going :)
Took about 5 hours on the standard layer thickness of 0.05 mm

print1.jpg

Looking incredible.:clap

3D printers put such powerful tools in a customizer's hands for making stuff the majors won't do or have given up on.

Back