Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i meant something more like this:

NrObK8X.jpg

people hate on Funkos all the time but Funko is the only company to make figures of some movies... I love my Funkos. they are like funny little Chibis.
Some funkos are very detailed.

I really regret not watching Bladerunner in theaters on opening weekend and getting that free funko with the ticket :lol I mean, I can still get it but, it would have been cool getting it from the theater

people hate on Funkos all the time but Funko is the only company to make figures of some movies... I love my Funkos. they are like funny little Chibis.
Some funkos are very detailed.

I really regret not watching Bladerunner in theaters on opening weekend and getting that free funko with the ticket :lol I mean, I can still get it but, it would have been cool getting it from the theater

I have them on my desk at work. I think they're awesome! :rock2

you can choose to believe Joi was nothing but a program.

You can basically believe anything you want, you are free to believe anything you want of course. I mean, sure, you dont have to believe that K or Joi developed real feelings, they are both just walking laptops no different than your IPhone.

doesnt mean i interpreted the movie the way they intended. but It would be MY interpretation. so you guys are correct that in your interpretation of the movie, Joi and K never went beyond being an advanced version of Windows 10 lol.
but the rest of us were discussing the bread crumbs provided by the movie.

I don't consider these points "bread crumbs". That implies they are easily missed and sprinkled about for people to find. Your interpretation of Joi is the most obvious and literal viewpoint.

Greygoose said:
I'm getting the Funko K for my Birthday this weekend. Was debating get a Joi too to keep him company.

I recommend getting her, I love that they gave her the see-through yellow jacket and it's squishy, lol.

Really great conversation going on! I have to fess up and say that I skimmed a few posts here and there just to keep up.

One thing I’m not sure if it has been brought up is the idea of what a soul actually is. I see both sides to the theories about JOI. Personally I believe she is just a program and all those “hints” that suggest she has a soul are all part of her code. The love, the compassion, the jealousy, etc., are all part of a complex program that was written for the “product”. I believe these AI’s could learn and evolve, but that was all part of their design—they were made to evolve and learn.

But even if these “emotions” or responses were written in code, how is that any different than how real humans operate? We all learn and evolve and have common, universal responses to how we react to external stimuli. Our genetic code gives us our baseline of feelings and emotions. The AI’s have their base programming. As we all grow up we learn how to react to people, situations, etc. The AI’s learn and evolve the same way.

Perhaps the main difference is that the AI’s in the BR world have a much narrower focus to their existences. Pleasure robots main goal is to love and be loved. Blade runners’ main goal are to be good cops/detectives. So whereas a human can choose to do and be anything in life, the AI’s have basically one purpose.

But within that narrow channel of existence, I believe the replicants and JOIs of that world have sentience. They are able to “feel” (even if it’s a program). They are self aware. They care whether they live or die.

Some could even argue that a soul is unrealistic to begin with, particularly if you don’t believe in a higher power. Humans are just sacks of meat driven by chemical responses and self preservation and the need to eat, sleep and make babies. Replicants were finally able to achieve everything a human could by being able to procreate.

So I don’t know if whether JOI’s behavior was programmed or genuine is really the point. Honestly I haven’t entirely formed a solid point about this yet. But that’s part of what makes this movie and the original such great sci-fi. It raises these great questions about our own humanity.

Agreed Lu that for the question of "can replicants or virtual AI's have souls" to have any meaning then "souls" themselves have to be clearly defined. But that's just another beautiful thing about this film, IMO. Each member of the audience gets to interject their own faith/belief in what a soul is into the story and then we can come together to discuss the elements of the film from that point on.

It's brilliant because it allows us all to weigh in on the film's philosophical questions without getting derailed by metaphysical and/or religious debates.

I guess we can ponder on the existence of the soul or of human consciousness
What makes our concience, what is a soul?

Do humans even havea soul or a concience? How much of our behavior is instinct or learned behavior?
Do animals have a soul? Whats the difference between an animal ( like a bug) and a machine? Bugs are completely programmed to follow basic functions. Some bugs act like machines in order to provide for the queen

Is learned behavior the same as " programming" ? What is the difference between teaching a person something and programming a computer to do something?
Do we really have free will as humans?
Is free will a real thing? Or are we predisposed to do certain actions and are we slaves to our instincts and learned behaviors?

Is the difference between joi, K and a human free will? Or human consciousness?

I guess my point was that joi and k evolved passed their basic computer programming and developed free will and in doing so became more than human or machine. Became a new kind of being.

Which is funny because joi felt more human than other humans like jared leto or k's female boss. Those two felt more cold and calculating and mechanical.

Also i felt like K and joi developed love for each other, love is a human emotion that comes from our consciousness.
But do animals feel love? Can a machine learn to "love"

What is love itself? Caring for another being? Caring about them more than yourself?
Is love just caring for others? Or is it deeper than that? And can a machine learn to care about someone else? Can they learn to love themselves?

I did feel like joi really cared about K. And k definitely loved her.
But i dont think jared leto cared about anyone but himself. He was more machine in his behavior than his own creations.

I guess my point was that joi and k evolved passed their basic computer programming and developed free will and in doing so became more than human or machine. Became a new kind of being.

Yes this sounds interesting. Something new, reflected in whatever Ana is maybe? The slogan of more human than human comes up a lot and it seems like it's about being the best kind of human. If something artificial can become better than the negative things most humans do to each other then they become the ultimate ideal of human.

I wonder if this is the track of thinking for Wallace at all. I watched the shorts on the blu last night and was interested how Wallace appears to want to replace everyone with replicants. The idea being that no matter where in the universe we go we won't be able to sustain ourselves indefinitely. Is it commerical, idealistic, or just a god complex with him?

Which is funny because joi felt more human than other humans like jared leto or k's female boss. Those two felt more cold and calculating and mechanical.

I did feel like joi really cared about K. And k definitely loved her.
But i dont think jared leto cared about anyone but himself. He was more machine in his behavior than his own creations.

This feels very purposeful, that we see Wallace with the neck implant in comparison to K who, except for small nuances, appears human.

I was thinking about K and Joi's relationship and it occurred to me that for all her wardrobe changes and gimmicks, he never expresses a preference. He almost just seems bemused with her and never actually says "I like that hairstyle" for example, showing that he's a replicant and possibly doesn't have some of those thoughts.

When I was talking with someone about when the emanator gets crushed, I felt like we were supposed to feel sorry for her but my friend said they didn't feel that way at all, he felt you were supposed to feel sorry for K for losing the only companion he had.

And on the subject of companions, was the DOG REAL? I need to know :rotfl

Yes this sounds interesting. Something new, reflected in whatever Ana is maybe? The slogan of more human than human comes up a lot and it seems like it's about being the best kind of human. If something artificial can become better than the negative things most humans do to each other then they become the ultimate ideal of human.

I wonder if this is the track of thinking for Wallace at all. I watched the shorts on the blu last night and was interested how Wallace appears to want to replace everyone with replicants. The idea being that no matter where in the universe we go we won't be able to sustain ourselves indefinitely. Is it commerical, idealistic, or just a god complex with him?

This feels very purposeful, that we see Wallace with the neck implant in comparison to K who, except for small nuances, appears human.

I was thinking about K and Joi's relationship and it occurred to me that for all her wardrobe changes and gimmicks, he never expresses a preference. He almost just seems bemused with her and never actually says "I like that hairstyle" for example, showing that he's a replicant and possibly doesn't have some of those thoughts.

When I was talking with someone about when the emanator gets crushed, I felt like we were supposed to feel sorry for her but my friend said they didn't feel that way at all, he felt you were supposed to feel sorry for K for losing the only companion he had.

And on the subject of companions, was the DOG REAL? I need to know :rotfl

Wow i didnt even think of her wardrobe changes....
What if she chose them and had nothing to do with k or her programming?

I do think machines could learn to mimick humansso much that they could eventually fix human errors and become bettet humans than real humans.

If humans dont have a soul and we just die and become dirt
If we have no real soul and there is no heaven, if we are just organic material with no deeper purpose than to procreate amd die,

Then replicants really really are no different than us. Are we better because we are made of flesh?
What if replicants are the next evolutionary step.
Specially if humans and replicants can have babies.
What does that half baby half robot creature even represent?

What if we can transfer our conciousness into a replicant body? Or copy our consciousness into a robotic brain? Is an exact copy of our consciousness still human?

Replicants , I believe , are essentially flesh and blood with programmed brain.

The dog....the dog....the dog.....

How about the bees?

I think the bees were not real, and the dog was real.....I have no explanation except the bees didn’t attack K when he put his hand in the hive.

The dog? I choose to believe is real, although we know that animal are pretty much extinct now. Why? It’s to ugly to be engineered.

I’ll take the Joi in the film thank you.....that or the huge pink one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about the bees?

I think the bees were not real, and the dog was real.....I have no explanation except the bees didn’t attack K when he put his hand in the hive.

I took the bees as being real. I saw them as being there to show that the air wasn't toxic. I believe K sticking his hand in the potentially dangerous hive was meant to be a reflection of Leon placing his hand in the liquid nitrogen. Also I think that the bees might not have stung him because they instinctively knew that there was something "off" about him since he was a replicant. Kind of like if you stick a tree branch into a hive, the bees don't all attack it they just climb on it (even if the leaves, bark, etc., are "alive.")

Back