Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In K's case though, it's hard to believe he ever let himself think he was human (or at least..."born") when he's constantly running through walls and stuff.

After I posted, I went back and watched some deleted scenes from the original (they're all on youtube, for now anyway) and couldn't believe what a difference the voiceover makes. I imagine there's no ambiguity in the theatrical release version. Clearly, that wasn't something that was stressed as part of the narrative as much as it was in the Final Cut.

It's all but spelled out, in the Final Cut....the glowing eyes, the unicorn....Ford's nodding head as he crumples the orgami, then the smash to black as the elevator door closes. I wasn't a big enough fan to ever hear what the feelings were around the time of the release and afterward, but I can see Ridley Scott pulling a Lucas and retroactively claiming he meant it that way all along.

Was Deckard's glowing eyes just a "lighting flub" though? It was clearly intentional in the Final Cut...cause that could have been changed digitally by that point if they wanted to.

And yes, as a viewer of the Final Cut, I respected that 2049 walked the line and never answered those questions and left everything about Deckard open to interpretation.

In K's case though, it's hard to believe he ever let himself think he was human (or at least..."born") when he's constantly running through walls and stuff.

After I posted, I went back and watched some deleted scenes from the original (they're all on youtube, for now anyway) and couldn't believe what a difference the voiceover makes. I imagine there's no ambiguity in the theatrical release version. Clearly, that wasn't something that was stressed as part of the narrative as much as it was in the Final Cut.

It's all but spelled out, in the Final Cut....the glowing eyes, the unicorn....Ford's nodding head as he crumples the orgami, then the smash to black as the elevator door closes. I wasn't a big enough fan to ever hear what the feelings were around the time of the release and afterward, but I can see Ridley Scott pulling a Lucas and retroactively claiming he meant it that way all along.

Was Deckard's glowing eyes just a "lighting flub" though? It was clearly intentional in the Final Cut...cause that could have been changed digitally by that point if they wanted to.

And yes, as a viewer of the Final Cut, I respected that 2049 walked the line and never answered those questions and left everything about Deckard open to interpretation.

Ridley explained how that glowing light effect was made, it was a deliberate process:

However, in that scene where Deckard's eyes glow (you can see it in the clip I posted at the 1:07 minute mark btw), Ford had walked into the area of the glowing eye effect meant for Rachael. So it might've not been intentional (maybe they knew it would have the same effect for Ford's eyes and were okay with him walking around into her shot), but they could've intentionally left it in there knowing it would make people question what Deckard was.

Last edited:
Back