Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Ridley Scott to direct new Blade Runner film

Hold a gun to my head and ask me what my favorite film is, and I will say Blade Runner. That being said, I am not really on board with this. Among several other things, I have always loved the simple fact that Blade Runner was a single film. It's odd and unique and all by itself. It's not part of some bloated franchise. I just feel like a continuation of this story isn't necessary. I'm willing to be proven wrong of course, but again, as of right now I'm not on board.

Sometimes Movies Are So Iconic, They Don’t Need a Sequel

Though I am glad Ridley Scott is back to directing this and thus will be expanding the Blade Runner universe further, I can't help but wonder that this sequel is bound to disappoint most fans and the look of the future in the sequel would be a big departure from the original; unless they decide to set it much further than 2019 thus making it more acceptable.

Blade Runner doesn't need a sequel. Prometheus does. Scott...do what's right.

Yep, I feel the same as all you guys (MW, Vivek, CP). Blade Runner by itself is perfect and adding to it seems superfluous. Good thing is a disappointing sequel will be easy to ignore. Sort of like how I pretend Godfather III never happened.

Yep, I feel the same as all you guys (MW, Vivek, CP). Blade Runner by itself is perfect and adding to it seems superfluous. Good thing is a disappointing sequel will be easy to ignore. Sort of like how I pretend Godfather III never happened.

Yes, but on a rare occasion a sequel can equal or be better than the original. ie: Godfather II. Not that any Blade Runner sequel will ever come close that. :lol

Yep, Godfather II or the Empire Strikes Back would both be great examples. Definitely I'm holding out hope that even if it doesn't equal BR, that it's still a very good movie in its own right (haven't read a whole lot about it, but it sounded like the sequel was to be a different story in the same universe -- which I can see working). I'd be happy with that, for sure.

I was really hoping a Blade Runner sequel would be an action comedy directed by Shane Black. Also it should have a twist that there really were no replicants, just all actors pretending to be them.

You say that like it sounds bad. That sounds like an awesome film. I want to see that.

You misunderstand me. I'm not a really a fan of Blade Runner so they could make the sequel a Romantic Comedy for all I care.

No. That version could be a pretty awesome movie. Shane Black dialogue, meta humor, it would be great.

I think a replicant Ridley is in charge of this one.

How else do you explain such a superfluous endeavour? :lol

Sometimes Movies Are So Iconic, They Don’t Need a Sequel

Though I am glad Ridley Scott is back to directing this and thus will be expanding the Blade Runner universe further, I can't help but wonder that this sequel is bound to disappoint most fans and the look of the future in the sequel would be a big departure from the original; unless they decide to set it much further than 2019 thus making it more acceptable.

Jesus this is still happening? When I heard about Ridley doing another Alien film I thought "hey, if they're gonna do another one, do it with Ridley, then you know it's gonna be good" returning him to his sci fi roots and making an awesome film, but even then when I heard about him doing another Bladerunner I was thinking " this doesn't need another film. And it shouldn't have another film" it's a perfect standalone movie, don't turn it into a franchise. But now after Prometheus I would say dear god no, he needs to stay away from his classics. At this point I see it almost like George Lucas going back and revisiting Star Wars to try and keep his career alive.

Blade Runner doesn't need a sequel. Prometheus does. Scott...do what's right.

YES!

No Blade Runner sequel..will be a huge letdown I'm sure.....

Prometheus I liked- but needs a conclusion

Another film that simply was a stand alone and no sequel should have ever been made..2001 A Space Odyssey
2010 was beyond letdown...don't get me started..:slap

Alcon Entertainment asks Harrison Ford to reprise role.

Warner Bros-based Alcon Entertainment (‘Prisoners,’ ‘The Blind Side,’ ‘The Book of Eli’) has an offer out to Harrison Ford to reprise his celebrated role of Rick Deckard in its Ridley Scott-directed sequel to ‘Blade Runner,’ it was announced by Alcon co-founders and co-CEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson.

Hampton Fancher (co-writer of the 1982 adaptation) and Michael Green are the screenwriters.

While the story is being kept under wraps, it takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.

State Johnson and Kosove: “We believe that Hampton Fancher and Michael Green have crafted with Ridley Scott an extraordinary sequel to one of the greatest films of all time. We would be honored, and we are hopeful, that Harrison will be part of our project.”

Alcon Entertainment acquired the film, television and ancillary franchise rights in 2011 from producer Bud Yorkin to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic science-fiction thriller. Yorkin will serve as a producer on the sequel along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.

Among its many distinctions, “Blade Runner” has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by innumerable polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.

Released by Warner Bros., “Blade Runner” was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. kciD‘s novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” and was directed by Ridley Scott following his landmark “Alien.” The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction).

“Blade Runner” was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society.

Blade Runner is one of the greatest films made... For me top 10 list... No doubt I will see the sequel but no doubt I will Not raise my hopes and think like many SW fans did for the prequels who foolishly thought they were gonna get Ep 4,5, and 6 again

We might have thought that in 1998/9. We quickly realised to lower our expectations in 2002 and 2005 though. Not that that helped much.

Back