Big Chief Studios Rose Tyler Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to be honest, I haven’t seen any pics since the reveal, 2 years ago.
I know some people didn’t like the look. I ordered based on that look, so I’m fine with that.

I was in the minority back when this was originally shown that thought the sculpt was largely accurate to how she looked in series 4, it's just that the dental surgery and fake teeth she used at the time did make her look...let's be kind and say 'a bit odd', and certainly less attractive. Expecting a series 4 based Rose to look like series 1/2 Rose or even The Moment is, therefore, a bit unfair in my opinion.

That said, series 4 Rose seemed like a poor choice to go for for that very same reason, so there's that, too. Mind you, due to the complications around Piper's likeness rights, they may not have had much choice if they wanted to make a Rose. Who knows...

Regardless, I am dreading this one a little bit now (though given various issues of the past I'm always nervous about a Big Chief release), and fully expect a blow up to occur when the first pics hit, because even if they largely match the proto I suspect a lot of folk will still be unhappy. And if the ball has been dropped on any other areas on this one during the production run, I think that will likely only amplify complaints even further. After a relatively smooth War Doctor release, Big Chief might want to strap in for this one methinks. We'll see soon enough, I guess...

I dunno guys. I am bracing for a giant backlash against BCS with this one. :panic:

Yep I agree. Interested to see how the final product looks even though I didn't pre-order her as I didn't like the head sculpt...guess we will find out soon enough but can't help feeling she'll be a big step backwards from the excellent War Doctor figure. :(

It's still utterly baffling to me how they went ahead with that awful and goofy looking sculpt without seeing a need to improve it at all. Especially when compared to the amazing Clara sculpt that they introduced about the same time.

That said, series 4 Rose seemed like a poor choice to go for for that very same reason, so there's that, too. Mind you, due to the complications around Piper's likeness rights, they may not have had much choice if they wanted to make a Rose. Who knows...

Yeah, going with the series 4 Rose was Piper's decision.

I was in the minority back when this was originally shown that thought the sculpt was largely accurate to how she looked in series 4, it's just that the dental surgery and fake teeth she used at the time did make her look...let's be kind and say 'a bit odd', and certainly less attractive. Expecting a series 4 based Rose to look like series 1/2 Rose or even The Moment is, therefore, a bit unfair in my opinion.

I agree with all of this.

It's gotta come out better than Amy, right?

:lol :lol That head sculpt was absolutely horrendous!!

It's still utterly baffling to me how they went ahead with that awful and goofy looking sculpt without seeing a need to improve it at all. Especially when compared to the amazing Clara sculpt that they introduced about the same time.

:exactly: Agreed!

Having seen pictures of this elsewhere (on a private board so I didn't feel I could repost), strap in folks, the backlash on this one is going to get rather bumpy, methinks. And after a two year wait, that's probably not surprising, considering the various issues the final piece seems to suffer from (including the cheapest and nastiest looking hair sculpt I've seen on a 'high end' figure in a very long time).

Don't have mine in hand yet, but sadly, I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to it going by what I've seen thus far.

EDIT - here's an unboxing vid courtesy of the cranky collector (not sure if he is a member here, but full credit to him either way):

Putting my conspiracy hat on for a moment, perhaps there is a reason why this one was next to be sent out. Send out War Doctor, which most people will be happy with. Send out Rose, which a great many people may not be too happy about. Then send out Clara straight after, which hopefully came out as well as the War Doctor, and will help wash the bad taste left by the Rose release away, or at least temper it a bit. Of course, that would only work if Clara is closer to War Doctor quality than Rose quality, but here's hoping...

Having seen pictures of this elsewhere (on a private board so I didn't feel I could repost), strap in folks, the backlash on this one is going to get rather bumpy, methinks. And after a two year wait, that's probably not surprising, considering the various issues the final piece seems to suffer from (including the cheapest and nastiest looking hair sculpt I've seen on a 'high end' figure in a very long time).

Don't have mine in hand yet, but sadly, I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to it going by what I've seen thus far.

EDIT - here's an unboxing vid courtesy of the cranky collector (not sure if he is a member here, but full credit to him either way):

Putting my conspiracy hat on for a moment, perhaps there is a reason why this one was next to be sent out. Send out War Doctor, which most people will be happy with. Send out Rose, which a great many people may not be too happy about. Then send out Clara straight after, which hopefully came out as well as the War Doctor, and will help wash the bad taste left by the Rose release away, or at least temper it a bit. Of course, that would only work if Clara is closer to War Doctor quality than Rose quality, but here's hoping...

I was just about to post that, oh man she's pretty bad. That hair is a trainwreck. They have to improve their paint work, HAVE TO. It's all globbed and lathered on. There's no way this guy's figure should have ever passed the QC check at the factory. Just awful.

Right, quick un-retouched pictures of Rose.
My opinion - the sculpt is great, that's moreorless Billie on her return to Who. Likeness wise I feel it's closer to her in one go than Hot Toys have got to Scarlet Johansson in several. Paint finish is quality, no rubbed noses this time! Plastic hair, meh. Perhaps slightly less meh in hand though I didn't think mine looked as bad as some peoples until I saw my photos. Interestingly, the hair isn't that hard to remove (and I'm quite happy to slap anyone who moans poor QC there) and there's potential for replacing it with a Kumik wig (though you might have to re-root one to get a decent hair colour match) though at the moment that internal cranium is too high and wide... but that's what craft knives and dremels were invented for. I tried one and just the framing of the face with dolly hair made a heck of a difference.
rose stormies 1.jpg

rose stormies 2.jpg

rose doctor.jpg

rose bald.jpg

Just got home to mine arrived.

Don't really know how I feel about it, it's ok. But feel it's a step down from the previous quality these where starting to achieve.

Sculpt looks a lot better than the promo pics in hand but still not 100% likeness.

Hair is awful , not how it's been done its actually looks really nice from a distance but up close and damn the quality of the finish is not at all what I would expect. Imo should not have been released like this.

Overall it's "ok" and a nice addition.

I was an early PO (number 40) and I don't regret buying but at this price I'm really disappointed with the the hair finishing.

LGTjXXv.jpg

sak1xUA.jpg

71239Md.jpg

7tGGqsr.jpg

RURoYFf.jpg

I gotta ask guys, is BCS no longer receiving production run samples from their factory? I'm trying to fathom how Rose left the factory looking like that.

Wow that looks... not good. If you cover up the mouth, the likeness is pretty good I guess, but that hair looks like it was sculpted out of Play-doh!

And what the heck kind of body did they use for this? She's got no hips whatsoever and it instead looks like they put her on a skinny Tennant body for some reason. Even a cheap female body off eBay would have been better than this!

Back