Big Chief Studios Rose Tyler Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received Rose today.
I was very concerned about this one after reading the none to favorable revues.
First impressions as I revealed the sculpt were actually not bad.
It’s Rose: good , bad or indifferent, this is how the character looked in the show at this time.
The figure isn’t the horror show it’s made out to be. If I look at any of the photos I took, I wouldn’t be impressed at all.
I like the costuming, and the gun is great.
The face is well done, and painted well.
The hair, yes, could have been better. Up close, and we’ll, fairly close, it’s not the best. It had one thing going for it, it’s pliable so you have some give in head movement for posing.

Ok, I stood back from the figure, and it’s fine. It will look pretty cool in The Who shelves later tonight.

Having paid near £250, the question is - would I rather not have? Honestly, no. I’m glad I ordered it.

I’d actually forgot about the dressing gown for 10 !!!! So that’ll complete another figure. I’m sure that 10 has been chilling away as he stands on display only in his jammies.

I got around to messing with the figure today.
First thing I did was complete (so I thought) my 10th Doctor...
E22D98C3-CB28-4BA0-A04C-F346B5A2212C.jpg
I realized there’s no chord with the dressing gown - did anyone else get one -

Then of course there’s the Rose figure.
Posed and on display , yes. Looks ok to me.
3FA9A0AC-67F4-45F4-B39B-F767513A17F9.jpg
9AB0243D-02DD-4A42-B964-9BCE493DA781.jpg
So technically we get figures out of this ...
22812BF8-CD7E-4DE1-BF9B-F4F0968D91C7.jpeg

And then, finally on display with the other BC Who figures.
A4906C1B-A3E1-4AAE-BCE5-A3817380AF73.jpg

Bottom line: not the best owing to hair, but this really gets the Rose look (from S4).

DVD1, my dressing gown came with a cord, so you want to make sure to contact Big Chief!

The underlying Rose sculpt is great, and though I still have the same issues with the figure as I had before, Rose has grown on me.

Ill contact them about the cord. Thanks.
I had the good fortune, if you can call it that, to have read the rather bad revues on the figure.
So my expectations were not set very high. Let’s say that I was pleasantly surprised.

I was messing with this figure again today.
My first idea to improve the Head was to pull the hair in. I took some pics of the face seen from the tightened hair.
8225541D-385E-454A-BFD2-608300379E91.jpeg
I then realized that the trick would be to reveal more of the face, as it is actually very well done.
I had a go at flying out the hair. It’s not a finished product yet, but it’s the way that I intend to go, as I’m convinced that fixing that hair will reveal an awesome Rose figure.

D8E18846-1EF9-4B14-B997-9247513A8A49.jpg

^ Nice collection and display!! :clap

Also great pics Astra! :rock

Thank you!

DVD1, what do you mean with flying out the hair?

I am at a loss where to post a Star Trek / Doctor Who crossover, but since I was waiting for Rose to appear to make this story it might as well be here.

Never judge a book by its cover, or a phone box by its size!

TARDIS1.jpg

TARDIS2.jpg

TARDIS3.jpg

TARDIS4.jpg

TARDIS5.jpg

TARDIS6.jpg

TARDIS7.jpg

Did anyone have problems with the wrist pegs on Rose? On my figure they are just stuck in, won't rotate and can't be pulled out. I tried using a little hot water to heat them, but had no luck and didn't want to over-force them as it felt like they could rip.

I sent an email to Big Chief outlining the problem, asking for a replacement body to switch with (was happy to return the faulty one and it would have saved returning the entire figure via the shop I bought it in). I was told that "unfortunately this is an issue across the range ... the hands can be carefully moved up and down but do not rotate or be removed. We are really sorry about this issue, generally all of our figures usually have removable and fully articulating hands."

I'm sensing this should not be the case on a £200-ish figure?

Did anyone have problems with the wrist pegs on Rose? On my figure they are just stuck in, won't rotate and can't be pulled out. I tried using a little hot water to heat them, but had no luck and didn't want to over-force them as it felt like they could rip.

I sent an email to Big Chief outlining the problem, asking for a replacement body to switch with (was happy to return the faulty one and it would have saved returning the entire figure via the shop I bought it in). I was told that "unfortunately this is an issue across the range ... the hands can be carefully moved up and down but do not rotate or be removed. We are really sorry about this issue, generally all of our figures usually have removable and fully articulating hands."

Mine is still boxed up (I haven't found a 1/6 scale bag for putting over the head yet... :p ), but I just checked, and yes, mine is indeed the same.

Funny, it's always the factory at fault, isn't it? How many different factories have they allegedly gone through by now, I wonder? I mean they've used that excuse of blaming the factory and claiming they will be using a different one for future releases pretty much every single time there has been an issue since the earliest Amy Pond days, so it is hard not to be rather cynical about that claim at this point. I mean if it's not just a convenient go-to excuse they roll out hoping to placate customers every time something goes wrong, then either they have the worst luck ever, or else there is something seriously wrong or not working as well as it should on their end that is leading to this all too common stream of various QC issues, given that they are the only constant in the equation if they truly do jump factories so much. Either way, not much fun for us collectors, with each release often bringing more trepidation than excitement, at least for me.

Regardless of all that, the excuse of 'we screwed up the whole run, therefore your complaint is invalid' is thoroughly and utterly ridiculous in my opinion. They may not be able to replace parts in that case, but they certainly should have at least offered the option of a full refund to anyone dissatisfied that a basic expectation like removable/rotatable wrist pegs can't even be achieved by these guys (an issue that will admittedly affect some more than others, depending on desired posing choices, etc). Teething problems, or the occasional sub-par release is one thing, but honestly, after so many years now they really should be better than many of the basic problems their releases are commonly suffering from. And it genuinely makes me sad that they're not.

Mine is still boxed up (I haven't found a 1/6 scale bag for putting over the head yet... :p ), but I just checked, and yes, mine is indeed the same.

Funny, it's always the factory at fault, isn't it? How many different factories have they allegedly gone through by now, I wonder? I mean they've used that excuse of blaming the factory and claiming they will be using a different one for future releases pretty much every single time there has been an issue since the earliest Amy Pond days, so it is hard not to be rather cynical about that claim at this point. I mean if it's not just a convenient go-to excuse they roll out hoping to placate customers every time something goes wrong, then either they have the worst luck ever, or else there is something seriously wrong or not working as well as it should on their end that is leading to this all too common stream of various QC issues, given that they are the only constant in the equation if they truly do jump factories so much. Either way, not much fun for us collectors, with each release often bringing more trepidation than excitement, at least for me.

Regardless of all that, the excuse of 'we screwed up the whole run, therefore your complaint is invalid' is thoroughly and utterly ridiculous in my opinion. They may not be able to replace parts in that case, but they certainly should have at least offered the option of a full refund to anyone dissatisfied that a basic expectation like removable/rotatable wrist pegs can't even be achieved by these guys (an issue that will admittedly affect some more than others, depending on desired posing choices, etc). Teething problems, or the occasional sub-par release is one thing, but honestly, after so many years now they really should be better than many of the basic problems their releases are commonly suffering from. And it genuinely makes me sad that they're not.

You guys act like there is no recourse.

GET A REFUND.

Done.

You act like this kind of thing, which happens from them far too often, is acceptable. Frankly. it isn't. On top of which paying for something, waiting two years for it, only to receive something substandard enough to even require a refund leaves a pretty bitter taste, and rightly so. Maybe you're okay with giving a company your money for years, only to ultimately end up with a choice of keeping an inferior product, or getting a refund (if they will even give you one) and having nothing to show for your investment, but unsurprisingly that kind of thing ticks some people off. Particularly when it keeps happening. People don't pre-order and pay and support these releases because they want their money back, they do so because they want what was advertised, and with a reasonable expectation of quality. Not to exceptional standards, either, just basic and reasonable ones. When that isn't met, repeatedly, there is clearly a problem, and it is not the customers.

By the way, last time I tried to get a refund out of Big Chief it took three months of back and forth arguing, because then, too, their position was to admit it was a fault, but not to take any responsibility for it because it affected the whole run. I thought their customer service had actually improved since then (they have been completely reasonable with me as far as replacement parts go in recent times, though the fact that I have still received so many broken/faulty items that were in need of replacement is, well...), but regardless that doesn't make these quality control issues that keep happening any more acceptable. Nor any less worthy of entirely justified complaint.

It's not at all acceptable. Not sure where you got that idea that I think it's the customers fault. :dunno

I think I am suggesting a realistic recourse for a bad situation.

But the die is cast. Big Chief is not going to replace them. No company would.

Get a refund.

If the product is not acceptable, (which in this case, I agree, it's not) get a refund.

And all I'm saying is that getting a refund out of Big Chief, even in cases where they are clearly at fault, hasn't always been the easiest of things. Or at least such was the case in times past (perhaps it is better now, just as their replacement parts service tends to be - as I've said I've had good customer service in more recent times, so credit where it's due). And even a refund doesn't erase the disappointment or dissatisfaction felt after waiting so long for a product to actually arrive.

Me, personally I've been around since day one, and so go in eyes open, knowing that each release is, quite possibly, going to have issues of some sort, and just hoping that if that is indeed the case then they are ones that I can personally rectify in some way myself. So far I've had to get four heads repainted, three figures needed body swaps because of disintegrating joints or floppy body syndrome, and I've had to replace items of clothing on two figures (this is all not counting customs, or big chief replacements), as well as other, more minor fixes along the way. And believe it or not, I'm not even that picky. I just try to get each release to a certain, basic standard that I can be happy with. And that's just the Who stuff, I out and out gave up on Sherlock after the first couple of releases, as I didn't have the desire to do likewise, as required, for that. So sold my signed set and Moriarty and called it a day.

But that's me, hardcore rusted on Doctor Who fan, and I don't expect other customers to do likewise, much less to spend likewise after the fact, or to know Big Chief's full product history before buying, nor should they have to. And I genuinely feel for those fans who came in late to collecting these, or who are just after a favourite character or two, only to have it end in any sort of disappointment. Can't imagine it does much for the continuing health of the line, either, though they've managed to get this far, which is further than any other high end manufacturer has managed with the Who license, so they're doing some things right. Plus, when they do nail a release out of the box (such as the First and series 7 Eleventh Doctors) they're genuinely some of the favourite figures I own, so that capability is clearly there, along with the hope that each new release will be one of the good ones. And the core sculpts, and most of the outfits are generally well done, so it is just a shame when other QC factors let them down.

It is what it is, I guess. I just sympathize to other fans and customers frustrations and negative experiences, especially when the line, at its best, can be so good. Be nice if we all could expect that a bit more reliably, that's all. Be even nicer if I hadn't been thinking that exact same thing for as long as I now have. But we rolls our dice and we takes our chances, I suppose...

EDIT - My posts may be coming across as more harsh or confrontational than ever intended, and if so they genuinely aren't meant to be. I still like Big Chief, even if I'm a bit cynical about certain promises and/or choices they may make at times. I still like the majority of my Who figures, even if some took extra time and money to get them there for me. And I don't expect anything to change much, even if I think some frustration that it hasn't is warranted. As I said, it is what it is. And I keep buying, by choice.

Fantastic Astra:clap...
Thank you!

I just checked, one peg moves freely up and down but does not turn. But since the hand turns on the peg, I did not notice and it is still poseable. The other peg is stuck completely.
This is the first that I hear about this.

I have no complaints about customer service, they just sent me a new Rose jacket because the other one was flaking right out of the box. All my experiences with them were good.

.... And even a refund doesn't erase the disappointment or dissatisfaction felt after waiting so long for a product to actually arrive.

Yeah that is definitely true. Anticipation can leave a very bad aftertaste in a situation like this.

EDIT - My posts may be coming across as more harsh or confrontational than ever intended, and if so they genuinely aren't meant to be. I still like Big Chief, even if I'm a bit cynical about certain promises and/or choices they may make at times. I still like the majority of my Who figures, even if some took extra time and money to get them there for me. And I don't expect anything to change much, even if I think some frustration that it hasn't is warranted. As I said, it is what it is. And I keep buying, by choice.

Not at all. I totally understand where you are coming from. I've been there too.

Thanks, yes I'm a member here. My excitement turned to despair quite soon into my unboxing video. That figure and War Doctor were disastrous for BCS, hopefully things will get better. I'm very happy with their recent Abominable bride figures.

Back