Big Chief Studios Rose Tyler Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bad MILF

23845dc71214f44f8c7e0558f55b4589-d7u8y7e.jpg

Ok, Ok, it's Friday afternoon. But in all seriousness, might it work with a repaint? There's just not enough eyes and lips there to look like Billie Piper.

I gotta ask guys, is BCS no longer receiving production run samples from their factory? I'm trying to fathom how Rose left the factory looking like that.

They had the production sample on display a few weeks ago at some con and it looked just like what we are now seeing. No one should be surprised.

Wow that looks... not good. If you cover up the mouth, the likeness is pretty good I guess, but that hair looks like it was sculpted out of Play-doh!

And what the heck kind of body did they use for this? She's got no hips whatsoever and it instead looks like they put her on a skinny Tennant body for some reason. Even a cheap female body off eBay would have been better than this!

It looks like they might have reused the old Amy Pond body...

Jesus, I’m shocked at how bad this looks. It’s like those old Doctor Who 12” figures that were on sale in TRU years ago. This company seems to be going further down drain with every new release.

Right, quick un-retouched pictures of Rose.
My opinion - the sculpt is great, that's moreorless Billie on her return to Who. Likeness wise I feel it's closer to her in one go than Hot Toys have got to Scarlet Johansson in several. Paint finish is quality, no rubbed noses this time! Plastic hair, meh. Perhaps slightly less meh in hand though I didn't think mine looked as bad as some peoples until I saw my photos. Interestingly, the hair isn't that hard to remove (and I'm quite happy to slap anyone who moans poor QC there) and there's potential for replacing it with a Kumik wig (though you might have to re-root one to get a decent hair colour match) though at the moment that internal cranium is too high and wide... but that's what craft knives and dremels were invented for. I tried one and just the framing of the face with dolly hair made a heck of a difference.
View attachment 404557

View attachment 404558

View attachment 404559

View attachment 404560

The one without the hair looks more like her.

I'm glad that I don't collect female figures in general and also decided to stop collecting DW stuff. That said, there's one figure I'd still be interested in: Jack.

Jesus, I’m shocked at how bad this looks. It’s like those old Doctor Who 12” figures that were on sale in TRU years ago. This company seems to be going further down drain with every new release.

They just released a fantastic looking War Doctor a few weeks ago.

That's pretty much the Big Chief story in a nutshell over the years, you never know what you are going to end up with, quality wise, as far as the final product goes. I was 90℅ happy with the War Doctor (would have been 95% if not for the floppy legs on the one I got), but Rose...um, yeah.

Though to be fair they had been on a better run than usual until this latest release, which potentially makes it even more disappointing, really. Hopefully Clara will show this merely as an aberration, and not a new trend, but we'll see I guess...

This is a big step backwards for BC...the facial sculpt's not bad..but the hair is awful! And the body just looks ridiculous..

:exactly: Pretty much this! Likeness-wise it actually doesn't look too bad, but the hair and the way the clothes sit on that awful skinny body really drag it down.

:exactly: Pretty much this! Likeness-wise it actually doesn't look too bad, but the hair and the way the clothes sit on that awful skinny body really drag it down.

I got mine yesterday. Apparently every figure has moulding marks/tears on the latexy neck ... and on mine they are really quite obvious. Sounds so common there is probably no point contacting customer service.

I expected to hate this after seeing all the pics. It's not as bad as all that but it is a frustrating figure, and in terms of Big Chief's output and sixth scale figures in general it is a bit of a disaster. The sculpt is actually really good IMO. I expect Billie Piper probably has one of those faces like Shatner, Harrison Ford, or Mark Hamill that is a bit difficult to capture at scale, but Big Chief have nailed it. But that hair! That hair. Oh my god. It would throw the whole thing off even without the awful moulding marks. And the neck marks. I knew the body was going to be too skinny from the prototype, so I accepted that, but you add that to the other issues ...

Still, I am a completist. I paid for this two years ago so I am not feeling the financial sting right now. I am glad to have some kind of Rose, some kind of companion, and I can see Billie Piper in this figure.

Every pic you see from a perfect light and angle, that makes you go, 'Oh that kind of looks like her, and I could almost like this figure ...' That's what it feels like in hand. It does scream 'Billie Piper', and in so many ways it's almost there, but in so many other ways it misses the mark, and that makes it really frustrating. It looks more like Piper than the replacement Amy head looks like Gillan, but the replacement Amy head has no outright moulding issues and the hair is really well done. That means I would rate Amy with replacement head higher than this one: Amy is not a great figure because the likeness is not quite there. Rose is not a great figure because there are multiple issues that under regular circumstances would have us demanding replacement parts.

And I look at it now and go, 'Oh, that's not so bad.' THE FRUSTRATION!

It's an 'on sale' fig. It's one that might be saved by the modding of the community (and someone on a private FB group suggested a Kumik wig might work, with some modding of the 'skull' to make it fit ... I'd love to see how that turns out). It's one for geeks and completists. In a way I am glad it is probably not selling well, because I think the damage to BCS's reputation could be worse than the damage to their finances if this figure was out with the mainstream masses. I do like aspects of this figure. I do! But if I am being completely frank I would say this is the least successful figure I own, in a collection of 50-odd figures made by a mix of Big Chief, Hot Toys, Sideshow, Blitzway, QMX, DiD, and ThreeZero.

I mean, we have to be honest: this cost me $313 Australian, with shipping. This cost a similar amount as the Hot Toys Harley Quinn (I paid $343 with shipping). It's unfair, I know: Harley Quinn was a really good figure, so I am cherry-picking. But put those two side-by-side ... Put her and Wonder Woman ($343), a less great figure with a few issues, side-by-side ... That is not $30 worth of differences. What's a figure that looks more like a regular human being? My sister has a sixth scale Hermione (from me! I share the sixth scale bug). Rose would not look great standing beside her, either.

The art card it came with as a free gift was a little bit bent and mangled at the edges and on the title. Perhaps framing could cover some of that, if I framed it, but I wonder if the free gift is worth it if BCS can't package it as well as they would if I had paid for it ... A discount code would have been handier. But hey, yes, I did not ask for either. It's a free gift. I'd feel a bit more grateful if it was pristine and without bend marks like scars.

I wonder if any body-padding on Rose will be possible. I tried testing it out just with tissues but the clothes don't have much give.

Here are the sort of marks on the neck that apparently every figure has. If you push the head down as far as it will go you can sort of hide these in shadow (and the figure looks better).

010.jpg

012.jpg

Thank you! Yeah, it's really nice and detailed. There is even a moving part (where here other hand holds it). I assume this is where you re-load?

Seems the Doctor forgot that he already gave a TARDIS key to her!

key1 - Text.jpg

key2.jpg

Nice pics there, and, funny !!
Loving the scenery a lot.
I’m mean time while I await mine, I’ve reorganised the shelves, so I can drop Rose (and Clara) in right away.
5E763C0A-E1B1-4FD7-AA48-094CB0F87BA8.jpeg

Back