Big Chief Studios BBC Sherlock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure I admire Trevor and all his works, but that another one is very real.Both sculpts are incredible
5aaa487974a3f90c98ca4cee43cac20c.jpg
fe51beeaaa749e0bb471e1b7cccbb28c.jpg
d87168b0522511188cfd94e2ae015c89.jpg
3a7bbe9c45ff6e4948d616a77c0a5cf1.jpg
49d8c02493396f8a7861ce2a9f0c72b3.jpg

Let's look together;)

It is great that Sherlock fans will get multiple choices. Both look very nice.

If nothing else, this custom makes BCS suddenly a bargain :)

I honestly think the likeness is off. for $600
ish?? I'm very happy with big chief's

I agree 100%. When I saw the unpainted sculpt I thought it looked amazing (it still does) but somehow this version doesn't capture Cumberbatch's distinctive looks. Beautifully painted, but the BCS version looks more like Sherlock.

It is great that Sherlock fans will get multiple choices. Both look very nice.

If nothing else, this custom makes BCS suddenly a bargain :)

Not so much choice really... I think there were only 20 sets being offered from Iminime for Famcon attendees?

Yeah it definitely looks nice.
I'm not sure how to say it .....the head looks like a normal persons head ....but the real Benedict Cumberbatch's ....does not :D
Its narrower and longer and his eyes are spaced oddly, and I think BCS captured that better.

This sculpt is sort of, 'if Benedict Cumberbatch looked normal, this is what he would look like' :D :D

:exactly: :goodpost:

It is an excellent sculpt, no doubt, and looks better in those out of the box pictures, but what it captures is Cumberbatch when he looks 'grimly determined' and almost like a normal person... they've painted him like a normal person and that's what we've got with the Famcon version. Looks good from the nose down, but the eyes are off.

Not so much choice really... I think there were only 20 sets being offered from Iminime for Famcon attendees?

I didn't realise that.....well I guess 20 people will be able to get an alternative Sherlock should they dislike the BCS version :)

Alright guys, as a Benedict's fan I should say both sculpts are accurate, why? Because BCS one represents Sherlock in season 1, benedict was much more skinny and of course his face would look larger, he had to loose weight for the paper.

9ce5070aea9af73838fad2fc62f7d9bd.jpg

c5b8337cde6266e5e80a97ed7eeeff2b.jpg

Iminime's represents Sherlock in season 2, Benedict gain weight during this one because he was about to play the role of Christopher Tietjens in BBC's Parade's end (if you have Sherlock season 2 DVD or BR you can hear the comments and Moffat or Gatiss talks about this, not kidding) and of course his face would look a bit more "normal"

5e5674ee586d00638873d978f9374899.jpg

966d025fa0380d9e0b2c31acbdd77e6f.jpg

Some comparison

c89cb7634a2053d1152ed4d1ae4d1ef0.jpg

This is season 1 vs season 3, but you can see how he looks much more robust in the second one

d1aa9b6c095fb8b887d69a3530b4f46a.jpg

I would choose iminime's over BCS, but that's just me, whatever you choose you can't go wrong (talking about the sculpt) but if you are taking about quality, definitely iminime's is the one to go.

YOU ARE WELCOME! [emoji6][emoji6]

everyone has made great points! I think the nail being hit on the head is the slight difference between seasons for Cumberbatch's look. If I had a spare $600 laying about, I'd HAPPILY get both... but since that ain't a thang... I'm very happy to have BC's. I am currently attempting to insert wires into BC overcoat... I shall keep you all posted!!

Bottom line... SO happy there's a lot of Sherlock love out there!!

everyone has made great points! I think the nail being hit on the head is the slight difference between seasons for Cumberbatch's look. If I had a spare $600 laying about, I'd HAPPILY get both... but since that ain't a thang... I'm very happy to have BC's. I am currently attempting to insert wires into BC overcoat... I shall keep you all posted!!

Bottom line... SO happy there's a lot of Sherlock love out there!!

Great post!

Great analysis, makes a lot of sense. The detail of the hair may also indicate one head is for S1 and the other for S2, noticed Trevor did an excellent job replicating those "rings" hanging on Sherlock's forehead, this feature is much less pronounced in S2. I hope to pick up IMiniMe's head & coat loose someday, even though those alone will surely cost a fortune too...

BTW, never had problem with BC's sculpt, those two heads to me are just the same person with different expression, it's BC's paint job & stitching seems a bit lacking...

Last edited:
Hey Hobby, do you have a BCS? I'm asking because, sure, iminime's paint job is awesome and similar to HT, but I can assure you BCS is very good too. It's just... Different from what we're accustomed to. Strangely enough, none of the pics I've seen so far seem to be able to capture the details...

Huh. I think it's funny to compare a custom piece with an official release. You can do things in a custom you can't always capture in a production fun from a factory. I think the sculpt of the custom looks MUCH better unpainted. But even then the main flaw is revealed. It looks too generic to my eyes. By that, I mean it's almost like a more idealized version of his face. Sorry, it's very nice and all, but it just doesn't look enough like Cumberbatch to me. It's like Cumberbatch's close cousin or something. And the coat is nicely tailored but the material doesn't read accurate at all. The scarf looks good there, though. I think the scarf is the only thing I like better.

But, like I said, it feels weird to compare anyway. I like both and admire the artistry on display.

I talked to Iminime about a wider release but it's up in the air. I ended up paying alot for BCS which is already overpriced as it is. With all the issues BCS have, I should have waited for Iminime to release their superior quality product for the same price.

Hey Hobby, do you have a BCS?

I don't have the set yet, but will soon. The official release date here in the US is in September with a suggested retail price of $230 (£138) per figure. I've decided when the shipment comes in I'll keep one of each for my wife, who is a big fan of the show. So there you go, I actually really want the figure to be perfect and are fully mentally prepared to overlook minor issues.

Even though I don't have them now, I saw the pair up close in SDCC. Like I mentioned before, they looked decent but I was not blown away, especially after considering the price.

With $230, here in the US you can get almost any of the latest Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece figure at full retail price (before tax & shipping of course). And as expected, it will come with 95%+ likeness, perfect paint job, finely tailored costume, some outstanding accessories (albeit scarce) and a genuine TrueType body. I just don't see the BCS set offers similar value at that price (the accessories are a HUGE plus though).

The point of comparing the BCS version with the iMiniMe version is not to show the difference between an official release and a custom work, but to demonstrate that at a HT level price, what the figure should have looked like. We know for a fact that even from mass production (relatively speaking) on a factory floor, the HT level of quality can be achieved with that kind of money thrown at it.

So I can't help but feel that the collective passion of the loyal fans of the great show is being exploited a bit too much in this case.

Just my $0.02, I hope this does not offend anyone. After all, I will soon be joining the club and proudly display the BCS set at home (after some tweaking :lol).

I don't have the set yet, but will soon. The official release date here in the US is in September with a suggested retail price of $230 (£138) per figure. I've decided when the shipment comes in I'll keep one of each for my wife, who is a big fan of the show. So there you go, I actually really want the figure to be perfect and are fully mentally prepared to overlook minor issues.

Even though I don't have them now, I saw the pair up close in SDCC. Like I mentioned before, they looked decent but I was not blown away, especially after considering the price.

With $230, here in the US you can get almost any of the latest Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece figure at full retail price (before tax & shipping of course). And as expected, it will come with 95%+ likeness, perfect paint job, finely tailored costume, some outstanding accessories (albeit scarce) and a genuine TrueType body. I just don't see the BCS set offers similar value at that price (the accessories are a HUGE plus though).

The point of comparing the BCS version with the iMiniMe version is not to show the difference between an official release and a custom work, but to demonstrate that at a HT level price, what the figure should have looked like. We know for a fact that even from mass production (relatively speaking) on a factory floor, the HT level of quality can be achieved with that kind of money thrown at it.

So I can't help but feel that the collective passion of the loyal fans of the great show is being exploited a bit too much in this case.

Just my $0.02, I hope this does not offend anyone. After all, I will soon be joining the club and proudly display the BCS set at home (after some tweaking :lol).

Nothing wrong with comparing. Same character released at similar time, who wouldn't compare?
I agree BCS is over priced and I think people defend them too much. Blitzway are a small company and can do better quality cheaper.
Saying that, I am very happy with my Sherlock and Watson.

Disagree that this custom is better though. I don't think the sculpt is as good and I think the coat is too thin...but to each their own. It does look nice.
Iminime guys are one of the top custom makers and for their prices, I'd hope it would at least match what Hot Toys do. Not entirely sure why they'd do something with a wide release already, I love when they do unlicensable ones like Eastwoods Blondie ...still smarting I missed that sale :D

Isn't it also a question of country? As I posted 2 posts above, I'm in Australia and I've never been hit any charge for collectibles ...ever.
I doubt BCS are writing different things only on my forms.

That's because we Aussies don't pay customs charges on any personal (non-business) imported purchases that have a total cost (item plus shipping, converted into local currency) of less than a thousand Australian dollars. Which is a blessing when we pay some of the highest shipping costs in the world. Swings and roundabouts, as they say. Mind you, go over the threshold amount and you'll feel the custom charge bite just as hard as anywhere else, believe me. Still, for us collectors, that custom free import threshold really is a gift.

Looks like a model with a idealized resemblance to BC. Paintjob is good though and the tailoring (what I can see of it) looks better.

Back