Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - War Doctor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the real issue was BCS went by his listed height and didn’t think about how older people tend to get shorter. Slim chances of finding a body that will represent a figure under 5’10”. Someone put together a Tom Holland Peter Parker with a smaller body over in the Homecoming Tech suit thread. I’ll have to see if they listed what body they used.

John Hurt's officially listed height is/was 5'9" or 1.75m, roughly the same height as William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton and Paul McGann, give or take a centimetre or two. So who knows where Big Chief came up with the height and body that they went with. And they already had their own custom shorter body, which they used for their Hartnell figure, so why they didn't use that again remains a mystery. It also makes me wonder if the upcoming Eighth Doctor won't also be too tall...

I'm eagerly awaiting for TA to get their stock of the War Doctor in so I can get some parts to upgrade my War Doctor. I really want The Moment box since that looks amazing. So in the meantime, I made a papercraft one as a placeholder. I probably will be trying to get the bandolier as well, since that is also very well done.
If I didn't already have a custom War Doctor, I would have jumped on purchasing this the first day of pre-order.
WAR-DOCTOR.jpg

I wasn't that excited about this figure, to be honest. I pre-ordered because I am a completist, and at the time my main motivation was to get the accompanying John Hurt signature ... but unfortunately tragedy struck.

But I love this figure. It's up there with Big Chief's best, in my eyes. It has some niggles ... the moulding lines on the back of the head should not be there, but on mine they are not too bad, and to be honest even if you have a mirrored display cabinet you are not likely to notice the lines from the distance of the reflection. The velcro on the gaiters is a bit obvious and exposed, but I might be able to futz that, and again, it is not noticeable in standard display poses. Hair could be painted a touch better. I have no painting skills at all but at least even an idiot like me can paint hair if I get too bothered by the paint job here. If Big Chief upgrade their hair and eye painters they will immediately add value to all their releases, because this is where the ball seems to have been dropped a bit lately. People have been discussing the height ... I'd worry about this more but companies seldom seem to get this right on figures.

But the sculpt is great. The tailoring is great. The materials used in all the clothing are wonderful. The Moment looks great. I'd call this the third best Doctor Who figure Big Chief have ever put out (the only one I don't have is Tennant 2, so I can't compare it to that). I am very, very happy with mine, when I thought this would be a matter of 'Well, that's that incarnation done, and hey I technically have a figure of John Hurt the legendary actor which is great' and plonk him on the shelf (the Doctor Who completist is strong in me).

The bigger niggles (moulding lines, hair painting) are all down to factory issues, and it sounds as if Big Chief have given that factory the boot, so the future looks bright. I love my War Doc.

I didn't take great pics and these are unfutzed out of the box, with some loose threads yet to be cut, but I'd better include at least a couple of pics. I know the collar isn't popped in the show but I like the popped collar look so I have encouraged it :p

018.jpg

020.jpg

^ Very nice jiminy :) He is a great looking figure and the sculpt is excellent, definitely one of the best in the Who line.

Bought a body from eBay to port my War Doctor on. It’s still too tall... what I need is a BCS Hartnell body.

Sigh. :(

Did you ever find a body that worked? I’ve been thinking about it since you posted this and looking for bodies(for myself to the same thing should I buy this figure) best bet might be a HT Marty McFly body.

Did you ever find a body that worked? I’ve been thinking about it since you posted this and looking for bodies(for myself to the same thing should I buy this figure) best bet might be a HT Marty McFly body.

I have not. But I think Marty would be perfect.

Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me or does the Marty body just have shorter calves? I would have thought all the proportions would be shorter. That looks simple enough that I could probably just modify a narrow shoulder.

You'll have to post the results when you're done!

Is it just my eyes playing tricks on me or does the Marty body just have shorter calves? I would have thought all the proportions would be shorter. That looks simple enough that I could probably just modify a narrow shoulder.

You'll have to post the results when you're done!

Legs are bent a bit so the perspective my be a bit askew.

Just finished him though.

85d75d48af13566f749f7c0ba36b0c97.jpg

Back