Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - War Doctor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm excited to see this. I'm sure this will look great in hand.

I've ordered every release so far, but am not jumping to pre-order this one as there are so many figures coming out in the months ahead.

I'll order this at some point although I'm in no rush with the amount of HT Star Wars & now QMX Star Trek coming out. War along with the 11th and hopefully the 7th will be the only Doctors I'll be collecting now I'm cutting back.

It was just announced that John Hurt passed away. I was delaying ordering this but I wanted to make sure I got a signature edition so I put the order in today. He'll definitely be missed.

tumblr_n6ilwcCWox1ro56t1o1_500.gif

I always hoped he'd make another appearance one day, as I loved his War Doctor right from the off, but sadly that's not to be. At least we got four boxed sets of Sir John as the War Doctor on audio, from Big Finish, so that was a bit of a gift...though the last set, due next month, is going to be rather bittersweet now.

But he was such a fantastic actor - on big screen, small screen, audio, and stage - just the thought that he's no longer with us to bless us with his monumental talent any longer is incredibly sad. But oh my, what a magnificent legacy of great performances he has left behind for us to relive, and for future generations to discover and enjoy. He will be missed. And remembered. Always.

I always hoped he'd make another appearance one day, as I loved his War Doctor right from the off, but sadly that's not to be. At least we got four boxed sets of Sir John as the War Doctor on audio, from Big Finish, so that was a bit of a gift...though the last set, due next month, is going to be rather bittersweet now.

But he was such a fantastic actor - on big screen, small screen, audio, and stage - just the thought that he's no longer with us to bless us with his monumental talent any longer is incredibly sad. But oh my, what a magnificent legacy of great performances he has left behind for us to relive, and for future generations to discover and enjoy. He will be missed. And remembered. Always.

:exactly: :goodpost:

Very sad news. I always hoped we'd see him again on screen too. RIP John - you were awesome as the War Doctor.

Going to be real bittersweet now when this figure arrives. :(

Still no confirmation from Big Chief whether the plaques had been signed or not. :(

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

I don't think it's callous. I think it's a valid question in a thread about the figure. If he had said it in thread which was acting as a "memorial" than I would agree with you. Also if that was the most callous post you have read in a decade I envy you your sheltered life. :)

As it is, I have a feeling the answer to his question is likely yes. Tom had signed his long before the actual figure came out, if I remember right.

I don't think it's callous. I think it's a valid question in a thread about the figure. If he had said it in thread which was acting as a "memorial" than I would agree with you. Also if that was the most callous post you have read in a decade I envy you your sheltered life. :)

As it is, I have a feeling the answer to his question is likely yes. Tom had signed his long before the actual figure came out, if I remember right.

I would respectfully disagree. John Hurt died two weeks ago, it seems a little early to be asking this kind of question. And it's entirely possible the company doesn't know yet whether he signed them or not.

Yeah, I know you disagree with me. I was responding to your post.

Per the sig, wait and see, I spose.

Comes out in April, righr?

BC are saying sold out. Speaks for itself.

They were marked as sold out only a few hours after the sad announcement of Sir John Hurt's passing. So while it could well have been a sudden influx of people jumping on board, there is also a very real possibility that it was Big Chief that did so themselves, marking them sold out so as to prevent any new purchases of a product variant that they may no longer be able to provide. Combine that with the fact that they choose not to address the issue, which while fully understandable and appropriate at the time, radio silence on the matter still, particularly after the recent NEC show, makes me think they actually still might not know how they are going to address things yet.

If the sigs had been done it would be a simple case of respectfully saying so, people would have their answer, and there would be little need for any further discussions on the matter. That simple confirmation would have basically made it go away. But if they confirm they haven't been done then there will undoubtedly be a lot of questions about what happens next for those who purchased a signed edition, and what the process as far as partial refunds or whatever else goes. That would have opened up a whole can of worms that they, understandably, would not have wanted to address at the time, and likely wouldn't have been prepared for anyway. Which is ultimately why I suspect we still haven't heard anything, not even 'leaked' secondhand from NEC.

Of course another possibility is that Big Chief themselves don't even know, if the plaques were sent off to an agent or intermediary, and they sensibly and respectfully don't want to bother anyone at this time with such enquiries, out of respect for what those closest to Sir John must be feeling and going through right now. So it is possible that they are as in the dark as we are on the matter.

Whatever the case, personally, I'm not getting my hopes up. It would be nice to have my suspicions be proven wrong, and would have been wonderful to have that little extra and more personal memento to remember the late, great Sir John Hurt by, in addition to the figure itself, but what will be will be. If it wasn't done then while it is a bit of a shame for us fans of the great man, it's nobody's fault and nothing can be done about it, just one of those things, really. That's just how life goes sometimes.

Guess we'll just have to wait for official word on the matter, but like I said, personally I've resigned myself to the likelihood of the signed edition not having been done at this point. Probably safer limiting expectations anyway.

Oh, and for the record, I think it is a perfectly legitimate thing to be curious about, and to discuss, in a thread dedicated to the figure itself. To my mind the only thing I don't think appropriate, if it turns out that the signed edition hadn't been done, would be to get annoyed or blame Big Chief in any way, as this is something very sad, completely unexpected, and clearly outside of their control.

Great post Ex-parrot, even if I don't agree with all of it. My view is that following a bereavement you leave a decent interval before addressing anything other than the feelings of the bereaved. I'm sure when there is something to say the company will say it.

From Big Chiefs Facebook

"The War Doctor Sir John Hurt Signature Edition
It is with our sincere apologies that we have to inform customers who have pre-ordered the forthcoming War Doctor Signature Edition, that the signing was unfortunatly not completed.
Those customers who have paid in full, or are nearing completion of a payment plan for this item, can of course convert their order to a Limited Edition figure. Any additional balance overpaid for the Signature Edition can either be re-allocated to cover shipping costs, or to another order. If of course you would prefer to cancel your order please contact [email protected].
We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Thanks
BCS"

That sucks, it was kind of expected though. I emailed to cancel, these figures haven't been incredibly difficult to get on the secondary market with a nice value, what was making me order directly was the idea of a signed plaque by the actor.

Sad news, but not unexpected. I'll be keeping my order and just converting it. I love BCS's overnight shipping. Love his figure too much to have to wait longer than I have to.

The War Doctor Sir John Hurt Signature Edition

It is with our sincere apologies that we have to inform customers who have pre-ordered the forthcoming War Doctor Signature Edition, that the signing was unfortunatly not completed.

Those customers who have paid in full, or are nearing completion of a payment plan for this item, can of course convert their order to a Limited Edition figure. Any additional balance overpaid for the Signature Edition can either be re-allocated to cover shipping costs, or to another order. If of course you would prefer to cancel your order please contact [email protected].

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thanks
BCS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back