Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #10 David Tennant

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was never an overcoat, that was just on the prototype glimpsed on the Jonathan Ross show back in 2006.

Oh, I assumed he was talking about the Dragon overcoat everyone was putting on him for a while, there.

I'd also say the Judoon are great for what they are. I got two, one to display with helmet and one sans helmet.

Yeah, i got thinking about the coat as well... I could swear I've never seen one.

Anyway, I found this pic I snapped a few months ago. I will update the display later.

2b6u7a.jpg

Okay so just opened up my Tenth Doctor, and as with the Fourth Doctor, here's my initial impressions and a random few thoughts to bore you all with.

- Still love the box design. Never seems to get any less impressive to me. Unfortunately the fold over backdrop on mine was a bit poorly pasted on in this one, but no big thing seeing as how I'll never use mine anyway.

- The overcoat is better than I thought it would be, and a lot thinner in person than I expected as well. My Doctor is still going sans coat for now, but I like it a lot more than I expected to. The suit is great, no complaints there. I like the choice of tie as well. The shirt collar is a bit thick, but that's pretty par for the course at this scale, and it still looks better than some. There were quite a few loose threads, but thankfully nothing catastrophic.

- Much like Tom, the body is a bit floppy. It holds a standing pose, but am a bit worried about long term, especially as I don't like to use backing stands.

- The five o'clock shadow is present again here, but nowhere near as dark as on Tom, and even though I would prefer none at all, I can live with it on Tennant a lot easier, as it doesn't feel quite as anachronistic to the character as it did with Tom. In general the paint application is a lot better than it was with the Smith piece as well, miles away from the very pale and slightly grubby looking paint on the Matt Smith figure. The hands look miles better as well, though they might be bordering on being a touch too pink now. Or perhaps they just look that way due to just how pale and waxy looking Smith's hands were.

- Likeness is pretty damn good on this one. If I wanted to get nitpicky then perhaps his face looks a tiny bit too rounded, like The Doctor has eaten a couple too many pies, but honestly, I have no complaints here really. Well, actually, I do have one complaint, mine came with a clear spot on the chin, where the paint was completely missed, which bugs me a bit. But that's just me being unlucky.

- Accessories wise, it's a nice selection, but most of them feel, to me, a bit useless. Both sets of glasses are scaled nicely, and fit on tightly, but suffer the usual toy glasses problem of not looking very convincing when worn due to how they sit. A pair with folded arms for his top pocket would have been nice, it suddenly strikes me. The water pistol is done rather nicely, but I don't see myself ever using it really, while the fob watch, both open and closed versions, are okay, if a little bit dinky looking. Both open and closed versions of the sonic are nice, too, but it looks so tiny compared to Smith's...50th anniversary flashback moment there. And the return of the psychic paper is what it is. All the extra hands are nice, again, but I'm a bit confused as to why they made his left hand the sonic screwdriver holding one.

- Unlike my Tom, the base on this one works fine, with a nice bright light, so I'll take the battery out later and check to see if the problem with the other one is battery or wiring related. Hopefully it's just the battery.

Overall I have to say I'm much happier with the Tenth Doctor than I am with the Fourth. I really don't have any complaints about this one at all. A couple of small nitpicks maybe, but this is just a really well rounded figure that delivers pretty much exactly what it says on the box.

Now, where's that William Hartnell pre-order?

I'm intrigued that a few people have said he only has a left hand for the sonic. Would you not consider this a sonic hand?

Not a very good one, as it falls out all the time in that one, due to how loose and far apart the fingers are. At least on mine.

You can still use it for that, sure, but it's a bit of a balancing act, and nowhere near as nice a fit, or as convincing looking being held as the same sort of hand was on the Matt Smith piece, which gripped his (thicker) sonic really nicely.

What I find even stranger is that the water pistol doesn't seem to fit in any of his hands very well, or at least, again, as far as mine goes.

Ok. Sorry to be THAT GUY. But, I want to make sure I did this right and I know writing to BC won't get me anywhere...

I added combined shipping to one of the two figures.
I then paid for one order and then the other.
I got confirmation emails from PayPal.
My two orders now show as 0.00 balance for each, one of which has a 30 pound "combined shipping" charge added to it.
Am I all set? Is there another step?

I would not consider your post akin to being 'that guy' at all. You've had little success emailing BCS and you have asked for some confirmation from a group of like minded collectors.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. :dunno

Last edited:
Not a very good one, as it falls out all the time in that one, due to how loose and far apart the fingers are. At least on mine.

Interesting. Mine has been fine. It helps the softer plastic is quite grippy. I like the lighter touch of this the way it's positioned, at it seems a bit more natural.

Interestingly enough, in any case, is the fact that Tennant is often photographed using the sonic in his left hand, too. At least in the promo photos.

I would not consider your post akin to being 'that guy' at all. You've had little success emailing BCS and you have asked for some confirmation from a group of like minded collectors.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. :dunno

Thanks. Its a complicated process, but I know we have had instructions...

I'm intrigued that a few people have said he only has a left hand for the sonic. Would you not consider this a sonic hand?

Not really. His fingers are too loose and when it's held to press the button, the head of the Sonic is hidden away too far. The way I remember the Sonic being held is on the hilt with the thumb extended to press the button.

The hand I meant would look like this:

Doctor-Who-Sonic-Screwdriver.jpg

The_10th_Doctor_by_seduff_stuff.png

I don't think I'll be receiving this today. :/ If it was only in Birmingham this morning, I can't see it making its way across the Irish Sea in time. Tomorrow, hopefully.

Not really. His fingers are too loose and when it's held to press the button, the head of the Sonic is hidden away too far. The way I remember the Sonic being held is on the hilt with the thumb extended to press the button.

I think it's pretty in line with the times he's holding it out in front of him, wand-like. I don't disagree a more grippy pose wouldn't have been bad, especially for instances like you've pictured, which are usually when he's taking a reading off of it or just holding it at-ease.

Still, the index finger is extended too far. The best you could do with what's been given is the pose where Tennant rests his finger on the ball-shape just avobe the glass, but I haven't been able to get that without it falling off. Add to that that most of the poses where he holds it out are with the standard mode or just slightly extended, not the fully extended mode. The hand is just too loose to pull it off.

e261e3cab740bd2e367699836a9afada.jpg

tumblr_muf6pavrE21rlfdpuo1_400.gif

_71310949_5012643-low_res-doctor-who.jpg

My 10 arrived today, very happy with him. :)

Noticed that switching the hands on him is much easier than on 11.

Maybe sticky wax would work to hold sonics or other accessories in the hands? Model horse collectors use it to hold the bits on each side of the mouth, it can just be wiped off and does not affect the paint, but I'm not sure if it works on rubber.

Had a chance to mess around with my BCS Doctor Who figures today some more. Still loving them.

BUT, the stands were driving me a little batty. I think the plastic neck of them is a little too tall. By the time you get them to a height where the figure will actually be resting its crotch on them, they don't have enough tension. BUT, I swapped the wire arms out for some Hot Toys stands I have. The BCS wire arms still work really well in the Hot Toys stands, but the wire arms from the Hot Toys stand work MUCH better than the BCS ones as far as staying in place! Very handy.

One sad thing, which I was worried about the moment I saw the mirrored surface of the stands. They scratch VERY easily. The only thing that it's had to endure is the feet of my figures scrabbling around them as I tried to make the wire arms hold them up! And they still already have scratches. They are faint and you don't notice them readily, yet, though. Just something to be mindful of.

That might not have been a bad idea, but it's like putting plastic on couches or putting an iPhone in a case. i just can't do it. :D

That might not have been a bad idea, but it's like putting plastic on couches or putting an iPhone in a case. i just can't do it. :D

Your mention of an iPad just triggered a thinks bubble - could you use the protective sheet as a template to cut another one, only this time clear and more durable, from an iPad screen protector?

Back