Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #10 David Tennant

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard at it....

1462820_10152798880151002_420493022_o.jpg

Hard at it....

1462820_10152798880151002_420493022_o.jpg

Come on chaps, no slacking! Chop chop!

Also... there's someone there who appears to be female and rather attractive. What on earth is she doing around a bunch of Doctor Who collectibles?!?

But joking aside, I'm so pleased at how well this seems to be going. After a long, long time when we only really had 11 and Amy to go by, BCS is suddenly a successful company with four releases under their belt and more (Sherlock!) on the way. Not only that, but Ten at least looks like being one of those legendary figures that end up going for big money, the OC Batman of the range. Producing a figure like this is great for their reputation. And all from the UK too! Really hope these guys enjoy their Christmas, they've earned it.

Soon as you've posted my Ten!

Come on chaps, no slacking! Chop chop!

Also... there's someone there who appears to be female and rather attractive. What on earth is she doing around a bunch of Doctor Who collectibles?!?

But joking aside, I'm so pleased at how well this seems to be going. After a long, long time when we only really had 11 and Amy to go by, BCS is suddenly a successful company with four releases under their belt and more (Sherlock!) on the way. Not only that, but Ten at least looks like being one of those legendary figures that end up going for big money, the OC Batman of the range. Producing a figure like this is great for their reputation. And all from the UK too! Really hope these guys enjoy their Christmas, they've earned it.

Soon as you've posted my Ten!

I think you could be right there Cappy, from the photos I have seen...possibly the best one so far being Pixletwin's by the keyboard, 'I don't want to go back in the box' pose...this is going to be the big score for BCS. And I absolutely loved my #11/Smith figure.

So now I have a total of 5 tracking numbers. Two for the Dynamix, one of just 1 figure, one for the two figures, and the last one is for all 3 packages. :lol

I'm not sure which to use now, but I'm sure it'll all be fine.

I especially like the John Hurt one. Even went to order it as a 50th anniversary/birthday gift for myself. Alas Big Chief's site won't let me, as it seems like the ordering system for these is broken. So, what else is new? :lol

Last edited:
Ugh! This is probably the only time I've felt justified being jealous!

I missed the pre-order cut off and the 2nd chance waiting list they put me on is probably larger than the number of figures they made. This figure's already on ebay with a $1200 buy-it-now price. I'm a huge fan but I'd like to eat in 2014 so that's out. :|

Last edited:
Seeing as this was my most anticipated figure of 2013, I feel like I should give my thoughts on it.

Cons: I don't like how the trenchcoat looks. The material is great, but once it's on him, on mine at least, it looks so baggy and messed up that I just don't bother with it. Also, the idea to put wires in it wasn't an awful one, but it was executed horribly.

The loose joints really are quite annoying for action poses and such. He can hold some pretty decent poses on his own still, but I'm definitely going to look into switching bodies sometime in the near future.

The shirt collar isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but still could have been done much better.

The brainy specs on mine are a bit warped and won't fit properly on his face. The 3D glasses fit alright, but I was more interested in his actual glasses, so that's a bummer.

Pros: He looks absolutely gorgeous. David Tennant is my favorite actor personally and I think the portrait is spot on. They obviously went for a more Day of the Doctor style look for his hair, which I find a bit odd because his tie would suggest that he's based off of his appearance from The End of Time. But that doesn't really matter seeing as he looks absolutely amazing either way. I know some people aren't very impressed with how Tom Baker's sculpt was done, but there's no doubt that this particular sculpt is David Tennant's Tenth Doctor. Perfect.

Other than the coat and collar, the outfit is absolutely brilliant. Very slim fitting, and works much better with the articulation than I expected. If you do what I did and pose him with his sonic screwdriver being pointed in the air overnight, the suit isn't eventually going to bring the arm down after a bit, nor is the suit going to look warped at all once you do change the pose. The shoes looks properly dirty and the tie looks very well done.

The base is awesome. I'm certainly hoping they upgrade to this style for the Eleventh because the the base included with that figure is one of the worst I've ever seen.

The accessories are great. I can't really think of anything else I would have really loved to see included, except MAYBE the device he used in Day of the Doctor to detect Zygons.. I'm going to be painting the squirtgun to more of a gunmetal to simulate the gun he held in The End of Time.

Despite the looseness on some joints, the articulation is still great, and compliments the suit greatly. He may not be able to hold every pose right now, but that will be remedied once I do eventually get a new body. But for those who do get figures with more stiff joints, don't worry, he should be able to do everything you need him to.

I LOVE how easy it is to swap hands on these figures. I know this isn't unique to just the Tenth Doctor, but GOD. If Big Chief has done one thing better than Hot Toys, it's the hands. Flexible enough to hold each of their accessories, easy to switch out without risk of breaking the pegs, and they still look just as good as Hot Toys.

The box's cover turns into a TARDIS backdrop! I didn't know that was going to be how they did it, and it's turned out really cool.

I got the Signature Edition. And I can't tell you just how ecstatic I was to be holding that little plaque in my hands. I got number 177 of 300. It looks great, especially on it's base, and I can't wait to get a proper display for it sometime soon.

OVERALL: 9/10

Probably the biggest detractors from this figure for me are the coat and the joints. But the joints can be fixed with a new body, and while I am very disappointed by how the coat turned out, I never planned on displaying him with it too much either way. Same case with the glasses. Disappointed by the QC issues, but I was never really going to display him with them that much.

The figure has turned out lovely overall. And once I do remedy the joint problem, I'm going to be messing with him a WHOLE lot more. If the joints were an issue that couldn't be fixed, I would probably lower the score down to a 7.5, honestly. But they are, so I feel like he warrants a 9.

Very happy with it.

Don't repaint the Walther P38 squirtgun! The gun he held in End of Time was either a Webley or an Enfield (I can't remember which, but they've always looked similar to me). You can pick them up on the ebay sometimes.

$T2eC16V,!y0FI,DL!KrjBSNPLlNqr!~~60_12.JPG

EDIT: And it actually was a Webley Mark IV, just as the above picture is.

They obviously went for a more Day of the Doctor style look for his hair, which I find a bit odd because his tie would suggest that he's based off of his appearance from The End of Time.

That's impressive given they sculpted it 12-15 months before Day of the Doctor was even filmed!

I came home from work today to find the 10th waiting for me. :clap

I have to say after roughly 30 years of collecting Doctor Who figures, I've never been more excited. These figures look fantastic! The choice of fabric, the colors of the fabric, and the detail is top notch. If I were to complain...nay request anything from Big Chief it would be the following;

1. Please give us more!

2. Please make sure all figures going forward are available for pre-order in each of our respective countries. Having to pay extra due to hideous exchange rates shouldn't have to happen for us to own these figures. Please help us out in the future.

Back