Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #09 Christopher Eccleston

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after narrowing the head a bit, I took a shot at touching up the paint. Mostly around the eyes and emphasizing the wrinkles a bit more, as well as painting the neck to match (I still want to weather the jacket more). Not sure it really improved things much though. There just seems to be something off with the likeness I can't figure out, even though most of the details seem to match up really well.

But it does seem to work a lot better from a distance at least.

nine1.jpg

nine.jpg

nine2.jpg

Well after narrowing the head a bit, I took a shot at touching up the paint. Mostly around the eyes and emphasizing the wrinkles a bit more, as well as painting the neck to match (I still want to weather the jacket more). Not sure it really improved things much though. There just seems to be something off with the likeness I can't figure out, even though most of the details seem to match up really well.

But it does seem to work a lot better from a distance at least.

Wow, that does look good! :rock

Thanks guys. I know someone else in here will have a much better repaint at some point, but I'm glad it at least appears to be a small improvement.

I do wish they had gone for an expression more like this one though, which probably would have made it much easier to capture his likeness. Smiling expressions are always just too damn tricky.

gfdgd.JPG

Okay, got him out of the package! He's SO cool. I don't really see the difference between neck and face paint that some have seen. It looks perfect to me! I love the head sculpt and paint. He totally screams 9th Doctor. The accessories are possibly some of the most fun of the releases so far. I am sad that my jacket seems to have little to no weathering, especially compared to some other pics I've seen. The legs are a tiny bit loose but don't seem to be impeding his posing. I DID add some shoulder pads (you can see them in the last pics) to fill out his shoulders a bit and I'm quite pleased with the results. I tried the "paperclip" trick but it was a nightmare and didn't seem to be really working. I may need a bigger paperclip?

Even with the small issues, it's one of my favorites. I never thought I'd be able to have 1/6 figures of my two favorite Doctors!

Hopefully, Big Chief will be able to get them all out, so everyone will be as happy as I am.

Even with my kitchen curtain closed, there is still too much light bleeding through which often makes the faces washed out. I finally found the button on my camera to reduce the brightness.
Instantly better picture!

In yet more proof over just how perpetually (un)lucky I am, my Ninth Doctor arrived with his arm busted off at the shoulder. One day I'm sure that I'll finally catch a break, but probably not one day any time soon... :lol

Putting the break aside, as far as my general impressions go:

The head sculpt is okay, it looks better in person, but to my mind it is still one of their weakest sculpts in terms of likeness. But I've never been overly fond of it right from the get go, it always lacked something to my eyes, so that didn't exactly come as a surprise. And if anything, in hand I actually like it better than I thought I would.

The jacket has zero weathering of any sort on it. Zilch. None. Not a sausage. So that was disappointing, especially after having been promised that the jacket would be weathered in the final versions. I do like that it has wire not just along the bottom, but also around the collar and down the front, which I'm hoping will make the futzing of the hang of the jacket easier. I think the cut could have been better, but I can't really judge any further until I actually have a working body to put the clothes back on to.

The smiling Tennant head is a horror show (the paints are fine, I just find it super creepy looking, personally), so moving swiftly along...

The paint job on the Ninth Doctor head is perfectly serviceable enough. It's not going to blow anyone away (factory paints rarely do), but it does the job perfectly well enough. If Big Chief delivered at least this quality each time out, paints wise, I would be pretty satisfied personally.

No complaints as far as accessories go, and the packaging is, as always, superb.

All in all, I'm not blown away, but I'm still happy to have him as part of the collection (or I will be as soon as I get a working replacement body). A solid release, even with the various issues and quibbles.

Sorry to hear that you have received a faulty figure. We are super p****d that we are still experiencing problems with the bodies. Our vendors have re-worked the tooling several times and given the extensive quality control checks, this should not have happened. Furthermore we are equally frustrated to discover that the jackets have not been weathered, as we had been promised. The head paints are a significant improvement over our previous releases and certainly the direction that we want to move forward in. The continuing problems and niggles should not be happening. Obviously there will always be minor issues with a few pieces across the run, but there are too many issues repeatedly occurring. We shall be discussing these problems at length with our vendors. Moving forward we have taken the decision to re-tool certain components and have a number of new body parts in the works for our forthcoming figures. Wider shoulder bodies with much improved physiology, muscle tone, body hair etc. We do take these problems seriously and will remedy any problems and of course honour replacements upon our return in the New Year. We have replacement bodies on the water, which are due in stock mid January, so please bear with us and you will receive a replacement. Thanks BCS

"..Wider shoulder bodies with much improved physiology, muscle tone, body hair etc. "
Please don't apply all these upgrades to Rose or Clara. Hahaha!!!

I'm still 2 days away from getting 9. Getting excited for it now. Maybe it's coz it's Christmas time !!

"..Wider shoulder bodies with much improved physiology, muscle tone, body hair etc. "
Please don't apply all these upgrades to Rose or Clara. Hahaha!!!

I'm still 2 days away from getting 9. Getting excited for it now. Maybe it's coz it's Christmas time !!

When I saw you posted I was hoping you got yours earlier than expected. That would have been a pleasant surprise.

That would be cool. My figures arrive like clockwork, 10 days after my dad sends them on.
Left on the 16th, so 26th arrival. From a time differential perspective (well it is a Doctor Who thread), I'll get it on Christmas Day, U.K. time.

Sorry to hear that you have received a faulty figure. We are super p****d that we are still experiencing problems with the bodies. Our vendors have re-worked the tooling several times and given the extensive quality control checks, this should not have happened. Furthermore we are equally frustrated to discover that the jackets have not been weathered, as we had been promised. The head paints are a significant improvement over our previous releases and certainly the direction that we want to move forward in. The continuing problems and niggles should not be happening. Obviously there will always be minor issues with a few pieces across the run, but there are too many issues repeatedly occurring. We shall be discussing these problems at length with our vendors. Moving forward we have taken the decision to re-tool certain components and have a number of new body parts in the works for our forthcoming figures. Wider shoulder bodies with much improved physiology, muscle tone, body hair etc. We do take these problems seriously and will remedy any problems and of course honour replacements upon our return in the New Year. We have replacement bodies on the water, which are due in stock mid January, so please bear with us and you will receive a replacement. Thanks BCS

Thanks for the update, and personally I'm glad to hear that you guys are dissatisfied as well, as it gives me a glimmer of hope for the future that such issues will be addressed and rectified so that future releases don't suffer from the same issues plaguing them. After such a long wait, I don't think it is much fun for anybody when a release has QC issues or isn't all that it could and/or should have been.

As far as the replacement body goes, I understand the time of year makes things difficult, so no worries there. As long as I get a replacement sent my way as soon as is practically possible, I'm perfectly satisfied by that. And things have gone smoothly so far in terms of the customer service side of things, so got no complaints in that regard at the moment, either.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post.

Back