Best Actor of all Time..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m gonna go with Nic Cage. The face/off potentials are endless and he can slide into any role, whether super masculine like in Con Air, or completely nuts like the wicker man.

This is all a matter of opinion of course.

Some people go to see Denzel Washington movies because they love Denzel Washington, other people can say they don't care for him at all just as they do with Nic Cage, or Will Ferrell and so on etc.

Charles Laughton, Sir Laurence Olivier, Anthony Quinn standout to me as the Daniel Day Lewis' Christian Bale's and Gary Oldman's of their time. In addition, I personally thought Marlon Brando had a presence as an actor not many others could rival on screen. This is an opinion naturally, as many people may have preferred say, Humphrey or Clark Gable, or Gregory Peck. Cagney who was a triple threat. Orson Welles, great actor, and not to mention --the Kubrick of his era, then there's John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart....so many, too many to list. It really all comes down to preference.

I don't think any actor in today's current generation will ever top Gary Oldman's achievements and accomplishments as far as range goes, as an actor. The polls seem to reflect that.

I personally however, love Jack Nicholson and Brando. I find that like Harrison Ford , even if the movies are terrible Marlon Brando seems to have an unshakable presence, that was why he was considered the best of his age. I loved him The Godfather, The Young Lions, On the Waterfront and so on, as many have commented...just preference and opinion comes down to who you feel is the greatest. I felt at one time Johnny Depp was one of the best of the 90's and 2000's, and Mickey Rourke was definitely a sad story as he could have been up there had he continued his acting career instead of boxing .... speaking of boxing and records, Daniel Day Lewis is one of the few who has a perfect record as actor, I don't believe there is one blemish on it. But I'm putting Oldman over him, I feel Gary Oldman is waaaay overdue for an Oscar. But I still love Marlon Brando and that's that.

Interesting results in this poll...

I voted Gary Oldman.
As much as I'm in awe of pretty much any role I've seen Day-Lewis in, I think Oldman has an edge in the sheer intensity and how transformative each of his roles is.
But I'm surprised to see DeNiro, Hopkins and Nicholson ranking higher than Pacino.
I love Hopkins, but he's pretty much always playing the same person in all his movies. With the possible exception of the one where he was some sort of wild man rescued from living with gorillas in Africa, I think. Nicholson's pretty much playing himself all the time, and DeNiro gave up acting a long time ago, and now all he does is pull a face...
I think there's different types/levels of acting. There are many great actors who can make you believe what their character is feeling; anger, sadness, joy, etc... But only a few can actually make you believe they are someone else. And I think both Oldman and Day-Lewis are in that higher echelon of acting. Brando would be up there for me as well.

I’m gonna go with Nic Cage. The face/off potentials are endless and he can slide into any role, whether super masculine like in Con Air, or completely nuts like the wicker man.

I hate Cage (sorry! It's not he's a bad actor, I just can't stand him...) but since you're talking about Con Air.... Awww... John Cusack!

Ok, objectively, he doesn't deserve to be on the list, but hey, he's been my celebrity crush since I fell in love with him when I was a kid and watched Natty Gann in the late 80s or early 90s. :lol (anyway, I still think he was really good in movies like "Being John Malkovitch" or "High Fidelity")

Otherwise, my fav actors are Alan Rickman (Do I need to explain?), Colin Farrell (yes. The man is really underrated. If you have any doubt, just watch him in In Bruges!!), Ben Whishaw (he blew me away in London Spy, but not only) and Benedict Cumberbatch (not because I have a crush on him because I clearly don't, but I've seen him in many roles and I always find him amazing)

I also love The Monty Pythons, those guys are real geniuses (I also love Mark Gatiss, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton, from the League of Gentlemen, Gatiss is also really good as Mycroft Holmes), and Bourvil (he's a French actor who died in the 70s, mostly known for his comedy roles, but he was amazing in dramatic roles)

You know who is a hell of an actor? Kevin Spacey. Obviously, he's an "unperson" now and we're not allowed to acknowledge that he ever existed, but his death scene in LA Confidential was just incredible. The director said it was crazy watching him do it, as if you could actually see the light going out of his eyes.

Sorry....spoilers for a 20 year old movie. That you should watch or rewatch cause it's really, really good.

God DAMN that's good.

He's still a kid ****er and I just can't watch any of his films anymore. He's completely poisoned any legacy he had.

He's still a kid ****er and I just can't watch any of his films anymore. He's completely poisoned any legacy he had.

That's a bit too much.
All Hollypoop people are dirty in one way or another.
Drugs, forced sex, waste of money, authority overstep, etc.
The way one feels is personal of course, but on a logical level you should either despise them all or don't think about it.

I'm not sayin' I don't care but...
I wouldn't be able to watch any movie at all if every time I'd think of what writers/directors/actors did in real life.

That's a bit too much.
All Hollypoop people are dirty in one way or another.
Drugs, forced sex, waste of money, authority overstep, etc.
The way one feels is personal of course, but on a logical level you should either despise them all or don't think about it.

I'm not sayin' I don't care but...
I wouldn't be able to watch any movie at all if every time I'd think of what writers/directors/actors did in real life.

There's no denying this, but I can't dismiss someone about **** I've never heard about. I can't just stop watching films because of made up lore in my head of what I think they did. Spacey's skeletons weren't even denied. How else am I supposed to react?

Everyone loves De Niro in this joint, and he was a pimp to Weinstein at his club. But at the end of the day, Weinstein welded his power just to get puss. There's nothing illegal about a barter. The industry is full of scumbags. Adulterers mostly. But who cares what adults do?

Spacey is a cockroach. I don't care how good an actor he is.

he gets shot for being a perv
He gets shot by a crazy daddy with sexuality issues for rejecting him (in the most polite non-offensive way possible).
He gets shot right after he got past his pathetic desires and acted like a normal healthy person.

At this point you're just forcing **** onto good characters he played.

He got shot by an angry dad who didn't know about it.
His wife could shot him even tho she didn't know about it.
Chain of events or not, he redeemed himself at the end and got killed for an unrelated reason.

Man, you really didn't get that movie at all... :(

Back