Best Actor of all Time..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could never pick one-note Deniro.... nor Hoo-Ha Pacino. Sorry.

I'd have to go with Day-Lewis or Brando (prime).

But super honorable mention to my personal fav: Gene Hackman - not a lot of range like Deniro but GREAT at what he does.

Pacino, Deniro, Nicholson, even Brando were phenomenal actors at their peak. But for the former 3, that peak really happened before I was born. All those guys started to rest on their laurels, and seemed to skate by for the bulk of their respective careers, minus a few exceptions like Brando in the Godfather. But it's true that none of those guys were really stretching the limits of acting with the roles they typically selected. Every once in awhile you would get Pacino as Scarface or Deniro as Travis Bickle. But for guys like Day Lewis and Oldman, they make that kind of extreme transition every other film.

Pacino, Deniro, Nicholson, even Brando were phenomenal actors at their peak. But for the former 3, that peak really happened before I was born. All those guys started to rest on their laurels, and seemed to skate by for the bulk of their respective careers, minus a few exceptions like Brando in the Godfather. But it's true that none of those guys were really stretching the limits of acting with the roles they typically selected. Every once in awhile you would get Pacino as Scarface or Deniro as Travis Bickle. But for guys like Day Lewis and Oldman, they make that kind of extreme transition every other film.

IMO Deniro and Pacino peaked in the 90's. 2000-2018 = dumpster fire

edit

their best work was in the 70's and early 80's, but they were still great in the 90's. Then they retired :lol

'80s and '90s work from those guys is pretty serviceable I would say. 2000s on was just a natural continuation of that from my POV. Not to say there weren't good or fun films then, like Midnight Run, Insomnia, Cape Fear, the Insider, etc. But compared to Dog Day Afternoon? Godfather 1 and 2? Raging Bull? Not even on the same planet.

Oldman gets my vote for the amount of times I've ended up re-watching Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. On top of that he still gives it his all even in terrible films.

Gene Hackman - not a lot of range like Deniro but GREAT at what he does.

Hackman had the class to retire instead of ruining his reputation. He might've done a few movies towards the end to pad the "nest egg" but I never saw him in an Adam Sandler movie.

I would say I chose DD because of Blood, Lincoln and Last of the Mohicans... which would have been average to forgettable if he had not played to title role...

Gangs of New York is one of the best roles any actor has done, right up there with Brando’s Don.

Oldman, a personal favorite , has done some cheese work, Sirius Black for example, but his more serious characters are just unreal in portrayal.

Hopkins, has some really bad acting to his credit (Dracula) and some really amazing work (Silence and Fastest Indian)

He’s not perfect by any means.

Nicholson is great playing crazy...but like Dinero and Pacino , he’s mostly a one trick pony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connery was a prety one-note actor, with some minor exceptions here and there.
Better than ****in' De Niro tho, that's for sure.

Honourable mention for Eli Wallach

giphy.gif

Connery was a prety one-note actor, with some minor exceptions here and there.
Better than ****in' De Niro tho, that's for sure.

Connery is alright, he kinda fell into that Morgan Freeman territory in the end of his career.

Hanks played a good retard, so what. I never understood the praise he gets. He's decent, but nothing amazing. I got a friend that met him when he filmed Philadelphia, and he was a gigantic prick even back then.

Deniro's nose breathing does not constitute good acting.

Never understood the praise Washington gets. He's so overrated, an over-actor.

Last edited:
Connery is alright, he kinda fell into that Morgan Freeman territory in the end of his career.

Hanks played a good retard, so what. I never understood the praise he gets. He's decent, but nothing amazing. I got a friend that met him when he filmed Philadelphia, and he was a gigantic prick even back then.

Connery was at an age when most actors don't have a career or a future when he got his Oscar for Untouchables then went on to Red Oct, Indys Father and the Rock. Somewhat differently played and written characters.
Hanks has range. Despite what your buddy personally thought of him.
Gump, Capt.Miller, Woody the Sherrif, Road to Perdition, Castaway.....David S. Pumpkins :yess:
(Countless great sketches on SNL)
Talent like few others living or dead.

Your buddy didn't get the autograph he wanted while Tom was taking a piss or eating dinner?

Last edited:
No actually he didn't want one. He met him in a court room he worked in and everyone was pestering him about autographs and said smugly "I guess you want one too?"

Which he declined.

No actually he didn't want one. He met him in a court room he worked in and everyone was pestering him about autographs and said smugly "I guess you want one too?"

Which he declined.

Thats it?
Your friend has never gotten snarky after being pestered or had a bad day or mood?
At least it sounds like would've gotten one if wanted one which is more then a lot of Prima-donas would do.

I saw Hanks at a local restaurant, and as you can imagine, many people wanted selfies with him. He was with his wife, and she politely told people that they wished to be left alone while they were eating.

When they left, Hanks went to each table and took selfies with everyone. He truly was a class act, but yeah, YMMV.

I personally don't miss movies in which he's in (The terminal being my all time favorite). But I don't think of him as the best actor many seem to do. He's extremely talented and very entertaining.

Back