Best Actor of all Time..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day Lewis and Oldman are pretty incredible with the way they disappear into their roles.

Oldman seems to give everything no matter what the movie - he was even great in Robocop 2014.

Tom Hanks

He'd be on my list. Even if Forrest Gump didn't deserve to nab him the oscar there have been plenty of other fantastic performances from him.

Oldman is certainly less pretentious than Day Lewis. He'll take on any job, kind of like Samuel L. Jackson, but he gives every job 100%, and loses himself in a role. I was marveling to my dad when we saw him in Darkest Hour that he has, convincingly, played Beethoven, Sid Vicious, and Winston Churchill. He can be a drug addicted psychopath, scumbag republican politician, a brilliant spy, a mutilated, revenge-driven victim of Hannibal Lector. . .but if you want him to play some stupid, mustache twirling villain, hammy version of Dracula, or a comic book character, he can do that, too. He really is one of the best.

But honestly, Mifune showed a lot of this range and depth well before guys in the modern day are doing it. It's all on display in Rashomon. Another classic actor who will probably never get his real due because of the movies he performed in is Lon Chaney.

Hanks is really good, but I don't put him in the same category as some of these other guys.

Saw this thread title and Gary Oldman immediately jumped to mind. The fact that he has zero Academy Awards (as of this posting, here's hoping The Darkest Hour fixes that) is ridiculous. Hell, I think he might have only been nominated for an Oscar just once for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Saw this thread title and Gary Oldman immediately jumped to mind. The fact that he has zero Academy Awards (as of this posting, here's hoping The Darkest Hour fixes that) is ridiculous. Hell, I think he might have only been nominated for an Oscar just once for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

:goodpost:

Hah same - Although when I saw DDL, I went with my head rather than heart and voted accordingly, as I do think DDL probably sneaks the 'title', but it's bloody damn close!

It is beyond irritating that Oldman (definitely one of my all time favorites) has never won an Academy Award. I too hope that Darkest Hour is the movie that acknowledges one of our best actors. :lecture

Academy Awards is not a merit-based award. It's all about politics and the social environment at a given time. This year. . .a woman will probably win best actor. Transgender?

Daniel Day-Lewis

I remember watching The Crucible way back in high school. That ending scene where he's pleading to let them keep his name...holy **** that was the real mother ****ing deal right there.

Picked DD Lewis over Gary Oldman only because GO struggles to maintain his accent at times (e.g., TDK during Two-face scene).

I picked from the list Gene Hackman, Just for his portrayal of a junkie going Cold Turkey in French Connection II.

Personally I really think Steve McQueen is very underrated and one of my all time movie stars. Papillon is an amazing film. If you have not seen it, then I highly recommend.

Last edited:
Just to give some legitimacy to this thread....

Al Pacino has my pick for the Hottest from the list.

Al Pacino has my pick for the Hottest from the list.

fLIQLkK.gif

Back