BATMAN Film Universe, Post-Nolan Reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still yet to be a diffinitive Batman film. Nolan's films stopped really being about Batman the second Goyer signed on to write the stories.

There will likely never be a "definitive" Batman film, the character is so old now and there are many interpretation at this point. The character's true "form" has become kind of lost because there are so many version out there now. YOU might not think the Nolan films are the definitive version, but there are quite a lot of people that think it is. And then there are also people that think the Adam West Batman is the definitive version of the character, thinking that Batman should ALWAYS be a silly jolly character in a silly world. Then there are people that think some of the comic series are the definitive batman versions, and there is also the Animated Series. Case in point, a "definitive" Batman is subjective, and this will always vary from person to person. I'd say if there should be a definitive Batman then it should be his first appearance in the Detective comics. But why should there be a definitive Batman? Everyone has their favorites, and everyone has their own ideas about the character and its world. If someone thinks that the Nolan films are the definitive Batman films/interpretation then fine, good on him! I see no problem there.

Still yet to be a diffinitive Batman film. Nolan's films stopped really being about Batman the second Goyer signed on to write the stories.

The definitive Batman is only in the comics and IMHO will never be on the big screen

The definitive Batman is only in the comics and IMHO will never be on the big screen

:exactly::goodpost: Bruce Timm's animated stuff gets about as close as you can. And i give Dini credit with the Arkhamverse he's helped set up. But comics are the definitive version of the character.

there EAISLY can be a Definiteive batman, so long as the version hits all the points of the character that have the "ESSENCE" of what makes batman, batman.

but what makes up that "essence"? that's the key.Distilling the character down to some core, essential truths, and then writing him in a story that shows EACH of these aspects.

1) the world's Greatest Detective - This is CENTRAL to batman. He is at his VERY core something of a modern day Sherlock Holmes. Missing this, would be akin to Making Superman without ANY of his powers, and no intention of having him ever get those powers. Batman's detective skills are generaly equal parts Technology driven, and personal honed ability. I think it's best to continue in that vein, however, that's personal preference.

2) Batman ALLWAYS wins in the end, Becuase he ALLWAYS has a plan. He makes plans, then he makes backup plans for those plans, and extra continginces for those as well. He may get taken down in the first round, but he will then adapt, and come back swinging.

3) Batman is someone possessed of genius-level intellect. He's smart. HE's OBSCENELY smart. this needs to be demonstrated in some way.

4) the toys - Batman is in part defined by his very advanced technology. some of it he's designed himself, due to his intelegence. Some of it comes from Wayne Ent, either via RnD, or developed by a company he bought.

5) The Wealth - He's Rich. nuff said.

6) Martial arts - Bruce Wayne has trained extensively in several different forms to gain his skills. he's not just some loww- level brawer. He's a master. Combat he is involved in should showcase this. He is a master. his moves should be planned, strategic, thought-out, and graceful. If this means pulling in a master martial artist as a stunt double, then it needs to be done. This ALSO means his suit needs to be something he can ACTUALY move in.

7) Fear as a weapon. BATMAN chose to become a bat to strike terror into the hearts of criminals. he NEEDS to be some flavor of spooky.

8) Levity - All that grimness and terror can take their toll. he needs SOME degree of humor, and levity. Even if it is small, and mostly insignifigant, it NEEDS to be there somewhere.

9) Robin - I'm sorry, Batman NEEDS Robin. Robin has been with Batman since ALLMOST the begenning. He joined Batman one Year AFTER the comics were published. batman had a whopping 10 books before he was given his young apprentice. He's as essential to Batman as any of his villians. You can go with the more mature Nightwing, and have him around some, but mostly off doing his own thing, but he Needs to be there in some form.

10) Bruce Wayne, Millionaire Playboy - The nolan films did an excellent job of this is Batman Begins. Bruce wayne needs to be shown as a public figure, who seems fairly narcicisitic, and as far the opposite of what batman is. Bruce is only REALLY himself with those he consideres his family, the Person he is in public is just another mask.

11) A man among gods - Batman, is just a normal guy in a suit, with training, money, and expensive gadgets. He is still something that any normal person COULD become, given enough time and money. Yet he hangs around with Heroes like superman, wonder woman, flash, ETC, that are borderline gods. Many of the times, he comes out better than they do. so for all of his frailties, and faults, he's a story about the triumph of the human spirit. This necessitates placing batman in a larger world with other superhero's. Again, like Robin, they don't need an overwhelming presence all the time, just a nod, or accnoledgement that they exist at all.

12) My Parrents are DEEEEEEEEEEEAD! - Batman does what he does, so that no one else, hopefully, will ever have to suffer like he has. His motives are strangely altruistic. Additionaly, he has become a monster, to fight monsters, so that no one else must.

There you go. 12 items. include them, you have a definiteive batman.

So what if all of that is there, but the execution sucks and it's a terrible film?

Then we end up with another wolverine origins, and like wolverine origins we hope they fix it in the sequel.

They don't NEED to toss ALL of that in there in its comlplete, overwhelmingness. little nods can help establish MOST of it.

A scene in the batcave where we see a glass case with Robin's costume, and a moment where Alfred tells Him that he missed a phonecal from "Master Grayson" would siffice to fit Robin in.

A newspaper that has a front page story about superman would cover the connected world. This can be sitting on Bruce's table in one scene, or be being read by someon in the background.

Show Batman doing ACTUAL CSI-esque detective work, that leads him to solve a mystery in the story.

HOW Batman looks when he fights can be used to convey his martial prowess. we don't need to see him train in some monestary on the *** end of nowhere... especialy if he;s going to look like a clutz when he fights later on. And in general, have teh man move swiftly, with some grace.

And so on.

Last edited:
batman and superman in the same world, ugh....

it's how it's intended to be. Best deal with it.

batman-tod-der-tapferen-stattlichen-jim,1920x1200,15090.jpg

batman and superman in the same world, ugh....

They have existed in the same world longer than most people on this forum have been alive. It's no different than the Norse God of Thunder existing in the same world as a unfrozen ex WW2 veteran hopped up on "Vitarays". Or the scientist with anger issues and a lethal dose of radiation poisoning.

there EAISLY can be a Definiteive batman, so long as the version hits all the points of the character that have the "ESSENCE" of what makes batman, batman.

but what makes up that "essence"? that's the key.Distilling the character down to some core, essential truths, and then writing him in a story that shows EACH of these aspects.

1) the world's Greatest Detective - This is CENTRAL to batman. He is at his VERY core something of a modern day Sherlock Holmes. Missing this, would be akin to Making Superman without ANY of his powers, and no intention of having him ever get those powers. Batman's detective skills are generaly equal parts Technology driven, and personal honed ability. I think it's best to continue in that vein, however, that's personal preference.

2) Batman ALLWAYS wins in the end, Becuase he ALLWAYS has a plan. He makes plans, then he makes backup plans for those plans, and extra continginces for those as well. He may get taken down in the first round, but he will then adapt, and come back swinging.

3) Batman is someone possessed of genius-level intellect. He's smart. HE's OBSCENELY smart. this needs to be demonstrated in some way.

4) the toys - Batman is in part defined by his very advanced technology. some of it he's designed himself, due to his intelegence. Some of it comes from Wayne Ent, either via RnD, or developed by a company he bought.

5) The Wealth - He's Rich. nuff said.

6) Martial arts - Bruce Wayne has trained extensively in several different forms to gain his skills. he's not just some loww- level brawer. He's a master. Combat he is involved in should showcase this. He is a master. his moves should be planned, strategic, thought-out, and graceful. If this means pulling in a master martial artist as a stunt double, then it needs to be done. This ALSO means his suit needs to be something he can ACTUALY move in.

7) Fear as a weapon. BATMAN chose to become a bat to strike terror into the hearts of criminals. he NEEDS to be some flavor of spooky.

8) Levity - All that grimness and terror can take their toll. he needs SOME degree of humor, and levity. Even if it is small, and mostly insignifigant, it NEEDS to be there somewhere.

9) Robin - I'm sorry, Batman NEEDS Robin. Robin has been with Batman since ALLMOST the begenning. He joined Batman one Year AFTER the comics were published. batman had a whopping 10 books before he was given his young apprentice. He's as essential to Batman as any of his villians. You can go with the more mature Nightwing, and have him around some, but mostly off doing his own thing, but he Needs to be there in some form.

10) Bruce Wayne, Millionaire Playboy - The nolan films did an excellent job of this is Batman Begins. Bruce wayne needs to be shown as a public figure, who seems fairly narcicisitic, and as far the opposite of what batman is. Bruce is only REALLY himself with those he consideres his family, the Person he is in public is just another mask.

11) A man among gods - Batman, is just a normal guy in a suit, with training, money, and expensive gadgets. He is still something that any normal person COULD become, given enough time and money. Yet he hangs around with Heroes like superman, wonder woman, flash, ETC, that are borderline gods. Many of the times, he comes out better than they do. so for all of his frailties, and faults, he's a story about the triumph of the human spirit. This necessitates placing batman in a larger world with other superhero's. Again, like Robin, they don't need an overwhelming presence all the time, just a nod, or accnoledgement that they exist at all.

12) My Parrents are DEEEEEEEEEEEAD! - Batman does what he does, so that no one else, hopefully, will ever have to suffer like he has. His motives are strangely altruistic. Additionaly, he has become a monster, to fight monsters, so that no one else must.

There you go. 12 items. include them, you have a definiteive batman.

:lecture well said

Well no deleted scenes sadly, the European version looks ****ing great though. I want those cards as a backdrop for my detolf.

DARK-KNIGHT-TRILOGY.jpg

https://collider.com/dark-knight-trilogy-collectors-edition-blu-ray-details-release-date/

EDIT: oh wait.

"The Fire Rises: The Creation and Impact of The Dark Knight Trilogy - The inside perspective on the fascinating story behind the creation of one of the most celebrated franchises and how it changed the scope of movie making….forever. Full of never-before-seen footage, rare moments, and exclusive interviews with Guillermo Del Toro, Damon Lindelof, Michael Mann, Richard Roeper, Zack Snyder and others."

I guess maybe there is some new stuff in there.

Having Nolan talk to Donner is such a waste. Why not get him to talk to Burton, the guy who did the first Batman film, and have them talk about why they each chose certain aspects of the character. Save Donner for the inevitable MoS Mega Edition.

Having Nolan talk to Donner is such a waste. Why not get him to talk to Burton, the guy who did the first Batman film, and have them talk about why they each chose certain aspects of the character. Save Donner for the inevitable MoS Mega Edition.

I think it's mainly because Donner's Superman was a huge inspiration to Nolan when making the films. But whatever, just give me the "Full of never-before-seen footage" stuff and I'll be happy. And those Mondo cards, damn they look good.

I think it's mainly because Donner's Superman was a huge inspiration to Nolan when making the films. But whatever, just give me the "Full of never-before-seen footage" stuff and I'll be happy. And those Mondo cards, damn they look good.

That they do. And your idea to use them as background in a Detolf is on point. Although I still need Scarecrow, Bane, and hopefully they release Ras.

They have existed in the same world longer than most people on this forum have been alive. It's no different than the Norse God of Thunder existing in the same world as a unfrozen ex WW2 veteran hopped up on "Vitarays". Or the scientist with anger issues and a lethal dose of radiation poisoning.
Being a lifelong comic fan, I definitely want to see all the DCU guys together on the screen, but. . .I can completely understand some feeling the other way. Particularly Nolan fans who are more movie than comic fans, and may have not had much exposure to Batman at all prior to the films. Nolan seemed to treat the more fantastic components of the DCU with disdain while he was making the Bat-films. Superman really doesn't fit in The Dark Knight. So considering all that, I think Nolan has made his own bed there. A large segment of his fanbase may need to be coaxed into thinking this is workable.

If WB were smart, they'd include a little flyer with a redemption offer like they did in the Superman UCE set for full size posters, only, instead of the replica theatrical posters for the various Superman films, they'd give us full-size 24"x36" versions of the Mondo cards. That being said, there's enough here that I'll bite, for the right price. 100 bucks? No way, but I don't expect it to be anywhere near that with stuff like Amazon and the WB shop. Those ****ing Hot Wheels bring the whole set down a notch, though; it's just such a chinsy gimmicky thing to do.

Being a lifelong comic fan, I definitely want to see all the DCU guys together on the screen, but. . .I can completely understand some feeling the other way. Particularly Nolan fans who are more movie than comic fans, and may have not had much exposure to Batman at all prior to the films. Nolan seemed to treat the more fantastic components of the DCU with disdain while he was making the Bat-films. Superman really doesn't fit in The Dark Knight. So considering all that, I think Nolan has made his own bed there. A large segment of his fanbase may need to be coaxed into thinking this is workable.

Meh. They have their trilogy. Now let's have Batman be Batman and fit in with the rest of the DCU where he belongs.

I know everyone want Justice League and Batman will be rebooted and Bruce and everything will be similiar to the previous movies.

But imo Bruce Waynes Batman has had 7 movies of him doing his Batman thing, it's kinda stale.

Something like Batman Beyond would freshen up the Batman mythos, kinda like MGS2 it tells a brand new Bruce Wayne story from an outside perspective giving him a different role and tells a brand new Terry Mcginnis story in a brand new Gotham with brand new villains.

You could even do a Nightwing movie that fills in some of the blanks of his past with Batman via flashbacks

I know everyone want justice league and all that. Batman will be rebooted and bruce and everything will be similiar to the previous movies.

Imo Bruce has had 7 movies of him doing his Batman thing, it's kinda stale.

Something like Batman Beyond would freshen up the Batman mythos, kinda like MGS2 it tells a brand new Bruce Wayne story from an outside perspective giving him a different role and tells a brand new Terry Mcginnis story in a brand new Gotham with brand new villains.

I would be all for a Batman Beyond film, and before Nolan came on board, WB/DC were strongly considering one. Now though i think that dream is dead. We may get a cool fan film, but we won't get a BB film in the near future.

Back