Media Batman: Arkham Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UGH are they actually serious with these tank battles on nightmare difficulty??? I got through all the main story ones (although it took me about 10 tries with the Ivy churchyard battle), but now I'm trying to complete all the side missions and some of these explosive device tank battles are beyond extreme. I'm talking 2 missile launching tanks locked onto you at the same time whilst also being targeted by an aerial drone, and if you do manage to destroy them then new ones replace them moments later. And you're trying to dodge about 4-6 lines of missile fire from random tanks too.

It's actually got to the point where I'm just not enjoying playing those battles now. I give up and turn the game off because it's making me rage, and that's never happened to me to this extent in an Arkham game before. I feel useless and annoyed that I can't complete NGP because of it. I'm finding myself angry at Rocksteady for creating something this difficult that's not even a core part of the Arkham franchise. I didn't like the tank battles at first as they felt disconnected from Batman (and the Arkham games) to me, but now I positively hate them.

I guess you could say I just need more practice and to keep at it, but honestly I feel as though I'll never have the skill to beat these, and certainly not the patience to keep trying them over and over until I do because they aren't enjoyable.

I haven't tried the New Game + yet, but on my first playthrough I set it to the hardest setting and I found some of the side mission tank battles to be ridiculously hard then too. But what helped me was to change my strategy. At first, I thought it was just all about upgrading the weapons and armor on the Batmobile and just practicing until you get good enough at the tank battles to survive them. Once the battle starts:

1. Be aggressive with the early kills
2. Move fast
3. Don't delay shooting down missiles, and....
4. never stay in the same place for more than a few seconds.*

*except when you can stay there for several minutes

For most of the tank battles that worked, but for some of the extreme ones no matter what, I was overwhelmed. The change in strategy that helped me was to scrap #4 above, as counterintuitive as it may seem. For a few of the tank battles staying in one spot (or one general area) doesn't make you a sitting duck, and actually gives you a strategic advantage. The trick is figuring out where that spot is in each battle-- find the right one and it becomes much harder for multiple drones to hit you simultaneously. In one area in Old Gotham you can "park" under an arch that provides you total protection from overhead missiles. You can create a bottleneck and they basically only have one or two avenues of attack, so they're basically lining up to get picked off by you one at a time. In other areas you can get to the high ground on a bridge or ramp after you start uploading the virus and before the tanks show -- and basically rain hell down on most of them from above (stay alert though, because some will still show up on the same level as you).

Once I realized this, I came to appreciate the tank battles as a little more fitting in with Batman -- he doesn't always win by straight brute force, but by using strategy and forcing the enemy to play his game.

tdkr_battle.jpg

I haven't tried the New Game + yet, but on my first playthrough I set it to the hardest setting and I found some of the side mission tank battles to be ridiculously hard then too. But what helped me was to change my strategy. At first, I thought it was just all about upgrading the weapons and armor on the Batmobile and just practicing until you get good enough at the tank battles to survive them. Once the battle starts:

2. Move fast

For most of the tank battles that worked, but for some of the extreme ones no matter what, I was overwhelmed. The change in strategy that helped me was to scrap #4 above, as counterintuitive as it may seem. For a few of the tank battles staying in one spot (or one general area) doesn't make you a sitting duck, and actually gives you a strategic advantage. The trick is figuring out where that spot is in each battle-- find the right one and it becomes much harder for multiple drones to hit you simultaneously. In one area in Old Gotham you can "park" under an arch that provides you total protection from overhead missiles. You can create a bottleneck and they basically only have one or two avenues of attack, so they're basically lining up to get picked off by you one at a time. In other areas you can get to the high ground on a bridge or ramp after you start uploading the virus and before the tanks show -- and basically rain hell down on most of them from above (stay alert though, because some will still show up on the same level as you).

Once I realized this, I came to appreciate the tank battles as a little more fitting in with Batman -- he doesn't always win by straight brute force, but by using strategy and forcing the enemy to play his game.

View attachment 205495
^This When I did newgame plus I found during tank battles there is usually an area you can go to that nullifies their numbers advantage. Like during the attack on gcpd, go to the side street next to the building only one or two tanks can get to that opening at time and you just destroy them as they show up. Its just finding the advantage that can be a pain.

Last edited:
This is the only arkham game I don't wanna play through again because of the stupid tank battlez

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nice job, sir!:rock

Thank you, BatFan!

I wonder if and/or how they'll do a TAS skin this time around? I know a lot of people want it, but the way this is all set up, with the Origins format of "suits," I'm definitely curious.

Since they're making skins on top of the base model, I do worry if it would look weird. If they're trying to translate cartoons into realistic 3D models, then the Justice League suit looks the best IMO.

UGH are they actually serious with these tank battles on nightmare difficulty??? I got through all the main story ones (although it took me about 10 tries with the Ivy churchyard battle), but now I'm trying to complete all the side missions and some of these explosive device tank battles are beyond extreme. I'm talking 2 missile launching tanks locked onto you at the same time whilst also being targeted by an aerial drone, and if you do manage to destroy them then new ones replace them moments later. And you're trying to dodge about 4-6 lines of missile fire from random tanks too.

It's actually got to the point where I'm just not enjoying playing those battles now. I give up and turn the game off because it's making me rage, and that's never happened to me to this extent in an Arkham game before. I feel useless and annoyed that I can't complete NGP because of it. I'm finding myself angry at Rocksteady for creating something this difficult that's not even a core part of the Arkham franchise. I didn't like the tank battles at first as they felt disconnected from Batman (and the Arkham games) to me, but now I positively hate them.

I guess you could say I just need more practice and to keep at it, but honestly I feel as though I'll never have the skill to beat these, and certainly not the patience to keep trying them over and over until I do because they aren't enjoyable.

Have you fully upgraded your car? That helps a lot. Like I've said before, the game can get VERY frustrating at times and my best advice is to take a break. Constantly re-trying the same bit over and over again won't help. Give it a day, come back when you're refreshed. It always worked for me.

2. Move fast

Thanks for the tips :D Unfortunately though I already do employ those techniques, but as you say in some tank battles you still get overwhelmed no matter what. Shooting down the missiles is always a priority for me, but it becomes unmanageable when I have two missile tanks targeting the Batmobile at once plus an aerial drone to avoid at the same time.

I didn't have this much trouble in my first playthrough. The tank battles on NGP are just brutal!

^This When I did newgame plus I found during tank battles there is usually an area you can go to that nullifies their numbers advantage. Like during the attack on gcpd, go to the side street next to the building only one or two tanks can get to that opening at time and you just destroy them as they show up. Its just finding the advantage that can be a pain.

Yeah I did use that one at the GCPD actually after reading that tip on another forum. It helped a LOT! But in some of these explosive device side mission battles I'm just not finding any advantage areas at all. Some of them are fine (though still very difficult!), but some of them I'm finding beyond my capability without an advantage like the GCPD battle.

Sounds to me like you got your money's worth with a game that challenges you :dunno

The thing is, I'm not finding them challenging at all, I'm finding them tedious and annoying. And that's not because I keep failing at them. In previous (and this) Arkham games, I've found certain predator or combat situations to be extremely challenging. And I've failed at them multiple times, but I still enjoy them despite that. Those I find challenging. But these battles, I just don't enjoy them. The repetitive point-and-shoot gameplay isn't my thing.

Have you fully upgraded your car? That helps a lot. Like I've said before, the game can get VERY frustrating at times and my best advice is to take a break. Constantly re-trying the same bit over and over again won't help. Give it a day, come back when you're refreshed. It always worked for me.
Yep. 100% fully upgraded the car. I needed that for the first playthrough :lol but this NGP Nightmare difficulty is something else. Well, for me anyway. I'm sure others aren't having as much trouble with it as I am. It's strange though how I managed to make it through all the NGP main story battles, but it's just these side mission ones I'm not getting past at all....

Personally, my strategy for the tank battles can be summed up in one word: HACKING. The first chance I get, I hack the most powerful drone in the area. That little bit of back up is great.

You don't even have to use the Batmobile for the tank battles in story mode...

I had no idea you could do that. Awesome. Should save me from getting bored out of my mind during those battles in New Game Plus.

I REALLY wouldn't do that if I were you. Taking out unmanned vehicles is fine and all, but should you accidentally take out the helicopter, you get a game-breaking glitch late in the game which renders the game unplayable. I know because it happened to me. Thank god for PS+ so I downloaded my old save back. He was the glitch I recorded:

You don't even have to use the Batmobile for the tank battles in story mode...

That is awesome! I had no idea you could do that either. It's a shame I've done all the Cobra tank battles now, but I'll definitely be doing that on my next playthrough whenever that may be.

I discovered something last night, though I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the last to figure this out. If you glide low enough over a moving car you will be prompted to "Preform a Car Takedown" where you land on the cars roof and yank the driver out causing it to crash. I thought that was kinda cool.

This game is driving me ****in crazy

How do you unlock the firefighters on bleak island? I pick that mission but their are no firefighters

Do I have to do something else prior?

You need to randomly find them. Fly around in Detective Mode and you should see a cluster of guys and hear them talking about torturing a firefighter.

You need to randomly find them. Fly around in Detective Mode and you should see a cluster of guys and hear them talking about torturing a firefighter.

Detective mode? Is that like the night vision? I'm doing that now and the firefighters are not where they are supposed to be

You have to progress through the main story, as you complete each chapter they will show up. The last ones don't show up till chapter 5 or later.

Antenna thing? As in finding where Scarecrow is making his toxin? Yes you will only be able to find two right now. The rest don't start showing up till chapter 3.

Back