Bandai Perfect Grade 1/72 《Star Wars》Millennium Falcon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it’s about $350. and assembly is a bit difficult, but so fun!!
73A175C9-B96E-4EA3-8B8E-344B793BC19A.jpeg

the PAINTING on the other hand... you need some skill!!

I'd hate to loose any tiny bits so yes on glue. the big pieces all fit nice and tight.

millions of bits and pipes

8zIP2qAh.jpg

hMhUljbh.jpg

KdqBPFWh.jpg

One layer of Nato Black. I'll go over it again before hitting it with Insignia White.
gKd7Creh.jpg

Things really start to come to life once you get a base coat.
dHPgEh4h.jpg

snuUfCZh.jpg

1Jmv5xOh.jpg

Here's a picture where you can really see the difference between the plastic and the paint.

I had distractions at work but I was able to spend some time in the past few days on this again. I've done the mandibles, all the service pits and gone around the edges. I still need to detail the upper and lower saucers and the engine deck.
4iMw5wih.jpg

Really fun watching you out this together, Kamandi. Wish I had some painting skills to bring it to life like you’re doing.

The fine detailing on this model are astonishing.

Thanks. It's a mountain of a kit. I've seen some jaw dropping completed kits on the RPF and that's where I'm aiming.

Last edited:
Kamandi - looks really good with the paint on! For color selection, do you have or would you know where I can find some references (e.g. Tamiya or others) for this model? Perhaps RPF site? (which I have not yet looked). So far, did you need to put glue? Thanks!

And then there were two:
FGkhMch.jpg

fCHn5Qk.jpg

I finished attaching pipes to the second mandible tonight and gave it the same base coat treatment. More tomorrow.

@balu - there's a ton of paint reference. I have a fair amount. I'll dig up some current stuff and post it for you.

Thank you Kamandi for digging up and sharing the paint info. This will be very helpful for me! Just curious if you have used glue so far with all these very small parts?

Let's start with some knowledge share:

I found an easy way to secure these photoetch parts is to use the underside of the unused plastic screen to hold the photoetch snug against the surface.
H7M2TBKl.jpg

pewTA06l.jpg

second for Balu - Back in the 70's ILM used Floquil paints to airbrush the Falcon. Floquil was purchased by Testors who re-formulated or discontinued all of Floquil's color line. What we have to work with now are best estimates based on 15-20 year old jars of paint and color matching the 40 year old paint on the studio model.

This is a picture of someone's perfect grade and the (likely) Floquil colors
n9bV80M.jpg

And here's how a chart that helps mix Floquil colors from Vallejo. This is what I'll be using:

ANH Falcon Colors
VMA = Vallejo Model Air, VGA = Vallejo Game Air
Replaces Floquil:
VMA White Grey 71.119 (Slightly off White Tannish Panels?)Grime
VMA White 71.001 (BASE COLOR)Reefer White
VMA Cement Grey 71.045 (Majority of Dark Panels)Reefer Gray
VMA Concrete 71.131 (1 part) + VMA Aged White 71.132 (1 part)Concrete
VMA Aged White 71.132 (1 part)Concrete
VGA 72.734 BoneWhite (needs to be lightened with white slightly)Foundation
VMA Gold Yellow 71.078 (Yellow Panels)Reefer Yellow
VMA Cavalry Brown 70.982Boxcar Red
VMA Yellow Ochre 71.033 (3 parts) + VMA LIGHT BROWN 71.027 (2 parts) Depot Buff
VMA Light Gull Gray 71.121 (note: base color of AT-AT studio model)SP Lettering Grey
VMA Gray Violet 71.128SP Lark L.T. Grey
VMA Dark Sea Grey 71.048SP Lark D.K. Grey

The build continues:

This weekend I've been attacking the kit, probably 13 or 14 hours since Thursday evening. I got a lot done while SSF was down.

I have the cockpit, turrets, radar and upper hull (minus the engine deck which is a model by itself).

6egwnqeh.jpg

aASljVgh.jpg

Here's the upper hull stacked for a preview. Base coat of paint has been applied to everything you see. (Tamiya Nato Black and Insignia White). Remember kids: Friends don't let friends buy eFX.

s1tkErQ.jpg

Kamandi - thank you for the information on the paint. This is extremely helpful!!
You are making great progress on the build!! Looking good!

Another moment where you can learn from my mistakes:

HZwWPWDl.jpg

I just spent two hours turning my room over looking for a missing piece that went flying when I cut it from the sprue. I was on my hands and knees looking over the whole room.

When I found it it was hidden under something about two feet away.

VyIefCd.gif

So it all turned out, but you gotta keep your guard up with these insanely tiny bits. This one would have been noticeably absent so I got lucky.

079B6Hu.gifv

Here's a photo of the finished underside of my kit. Now work begins on the topside weathering!
105-Falcon-Construction-250218.jpg

@Balu -

I re-discovered another useful paint chart for the Falcon. These colors are for The Force Awakens but are still useful:

Chart Source (because it's important to give credit for other people's work): https://www.mech9.com/2016/07/1144-millennium-falcon-force-awakens.html
Aqueous Hobby ColorMr. ColorTamiyaVallejo Model ColorVallejo Model AirRevell EnamelRevell AcrylicHumbrol EnamelHumbrol Acrylic
Aircraft Gray (H57)Aircraft Gray (C73)J.A. Gray (XF14)--------Light Grey (Matte) (147)--
Black (H2)Black (C2)Black (X1)Glossy Black (70.861)--black (solid matt) (32107)black (Gloss) (36107)Black (Gloss) (21)Black (Gloss) (21)
Blue (H5)Blue (C5)Royal Blue (X3)Dark Prussian Blue (70.899)Blue (71.004)----Midnight Blue (Gloss) (15)Midnight Blue (Gloss) (15)
Cream Yellow (H34)----------------
Flat Black (H12)Flat Black (C33)Flat Black (XF1)Black (70.950)Black (71.057)black (solid silk matt) (32108)black (solid matt) (36108)Black (Matte) (33)Black (Matte) (33)
Flat White (H11)Flat White (C62)Flat White (XF2)White (70.951)White (71.001)white (solid silk matt) (32105)white (solid matt) (36105)White (Matte) (34)White (Matte) (34)
Flesh (H44)Flesh (C51)Flat Flesh (XF15)Cork Brown (70.843)Skin Tone (71.076)brown (solid silk matt) (32185)Brown (solid matt) (36185)Flesh (Matte) (61)Leather (Matte) (62)
Gold (H9)Gold (C9)Gold Leaf (X12)Gold (Metallic) (70.996)Gold (Metallic) (71.066)gold (solid metallic) (32194)Gold (solid metallic) (36194)Gold (metallic) (16)Gold (metallic) (16)
Gray (H22)Neutral Gray (C13)--Neutral Grey (70.992)--3217136171Dark Admiralty Grey (Gloss) (5)--
Gull Gray/Light Gull Gray (H51)Light Gull Gray/Gull Gray (C11)--------------
Red Brown (H47)Red Brown (C41)Red Brown (XF64)Flat Brown (70.984)Hull Red (71.039)----German Camouflage Red Brown (Matte) (160)--
RLM79 Sandy Brown (H66)RLM76 Sand Yellow (C119)Desert Yellow (XF59)Brown Sand (70.876)Sand Brown (71.034)beige (solid silk matt) (32189)Beige (solid matt) (36189)Sand (Matte) (63)Sand (Matte) (63)
Light Brown/Tan (H27)Tan (C44)--Green Ochre (70.914)--Ochre Brown (solid matt) (32188)Ochre Brown (solid matt) (36188)Brown Yellow (Matte) (94)--
White (H1)White (C1)White (X2)Gloss White (70.842)--white (solid gloss) (32104)white (Gloss) (36104)White (Gloss) (22)White (Gloss) (22)
Wood Brown (H37)Wood Brown (C43)--------------

Most of yesterday and this evening was spent on the engine deck. What a beast. I went back into the instructions and there's over 100 parts for just this section. Almost all of those parts are STUPID small.

Work in progress
PnLRRlWh.jpg

After base coat of Nato Black and Insignia White

GypZPJHh.jpg

0Mw5QiMh.jpg

Kamandi, in the engine deck picture, I noticed you had the Nato black base, and then you put the small parts (in white). After that, I assume you put on a base coat of Nato Black (2nd coat), and then the Insignia White. So, you would have as base: 2 coats of Nato black and 1 coat of Insignia White?

Back