Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait it really hasn't made any profit yet? Marvel gets something from the toys though right?

i did not make those charts i just found it interesting when someone added it all up,

as of right now it has not made anything yet but we will have to see how much it gets from now on

i think what will come in the following weeks is what they will get as far as profit goes

right now it looks like they just got back what they spent.

Who knows. The original Avengers hit $300 million after 9 days, it took Age of Ultron 10 days to hit $300 million. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that it's doing okay.

yeah but how big was the drop from weekend to weekend? this was a 60% drop in attendance.

most movies of this kind only get like, 40% drop, Usually never more than 50.

Avengers 1 according to Box Office mojo the drop was only 49% from the first weekend to the second weekend. (if I am reading that correctly)

this one was not supposed to drop that much, and This weekend AOU had like No competition at all. nothing, no big movies playing for next friday you have Mad Max which will be some competition

Seriously? Almost 900 million in a little more than a week, and people think it's just doing ok :lol It opens in China tomorrow, I believe, so expect another 300-400 million from China. It'll be fine :lol

yeah and China takes like 75% of the profits. Studios get 25$ back of that so China doesn't always mean that much

For Hollywood, Not All Box Office Dollars Are Equal - WSJ

I don't know where crows got those figures, but to say that they've made zero on it so far is total crap.

the numbers were based on how much foreign box office takes, Disney doesn't see all of that money you know....

and the big drop is pretty bad
Age of Ultron's decline from the first to the second week is the second largest drop in box office history.

It will make money but nowhere near as much as the first avengers. not even close

Box office mojo:

Avengers: Age of Ultron didn't plummet from the sky like that Sokovian fiefdom in the film but, with its $77.2 million 2nd week outing, it did drop 59.6% from its opening take of $191 million.

The film did fall further than other, recent Marvel films.

Iron Man 3's second week, in the same 2nd week frame in May 2013, fell 58.4%.

But, to put things in further perspective that 59.6% is nowhere near the drop the previous #1 weekend-record slot took, a film not in the Marvel Universe, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. The finale to the wildly popular film series dropped a whopping 72% in its second weekend, going from an opening of $169 million to $47 million.

I did and what can I say, I love this movie. I'm just not feeling the criticisms (not that they are overwhelming or anything) against it. I even liked the pace and the parts that Disney wanted out. The dream sequences were great, if Whedon cut them out as Disney requested then you would have gone from the whole battle inside the ship right to Hulk and Veronica. I think that would have been big time battle fatigue. But instead you had a nice little breather between the two fights that was done in a way that not only shows off Scarlet Witch's powers but also delves a bit into the core of each character. Point Joss.

I didn't even mind the farm house scene. This movie has FIVE action sequences, six if you break up the two Africa battles (ship and rampaging Hulk), hell seven if you count the tussle in the tower before Vision rises. It's practically two and a half hours of action. The safe house and dreams are pretty important to leave in there, IMO.

As jye mentioned a little while back, not too much more to say about the film at this point but a few things that I did notice the third time around:

1. Awesome symmetry (and we know how much Ultron likes symmetry) between his Mark I self and his final drone form that speaks to the Vision at the end. Both have mangled faces and a missing left hand. I never really picked up on that until now.

2. Just how big of a deal it was to have Quicksilver save Hawkeye. It was QS that got Barton off his game against HYDRA which led to his injury, reconstructive surgery, etc. Then they're at odds in the tower, then the "keep up old man" in the city, until repeating his "bet you didn't see that coming" line as he died, the same one of course that he opened with in his first encounter with HE. Nice little touches of Hawkeye refusing treatment and just lying next to Quicksilver. Naming his boy "Nathaniel Pietro Barton." Obviously all that was on the surface, it was just neat to digest a little more.

3. I lol'd when the Helicarrier appeared because I never noticed that as the carrier rose into frame Cap is in a Captain Morgan pose! Lol! He's standing there next to Widow with his one foot up on a rock. It's like Joss told him to pose for a PF. :lol

4. Thor just kicks ass in this movie. Yeah he's just got the 14 minutes of screen time but again as has been said before he's just a badass for pretty much every one of those minutes. And I like that he comes and goes. It'd be kind of demeaning to his character if he just hung around as one of Cap's soldiers. No, he'll help when the situation warrants it but he's always considering the bigger picture and if anything ever needs his attention elsewhere he just leaves. Thor will you help us with this? Thor will you stay and party with us? Very cool. It makes it seem like they're lucky to have an Asgardian in their midst when he condescends to hang out with them or help them.

5. I really think Ultron is a sympathetic character. It's crazy but I actually felt bad for him when the Twins left him and when he later confided in the imprisoned Widow because "you're the only one I have to talk to."

6. Even though Marvel has no plans of slowing down and all these movies tease upcoming films and whatnot this movie still felt like a real "end" of sorts. Like when an iconic sports team wins one or more championships and then the free agents all leave. Four of the original six Avengers took off. You can't shake it up much more than that. Stark is gone, Thor is gone, Hawkeye is gone, Banner is gone and "that guy who went into the ice" is gone, so to speak. Yeah there's Thanos and a million other threats down the line but still "nothing does last forever" and it really does feel a bit like the end of an era.

7. That was one tense battle the team had with one another about Vision. And you really see both sides too. What would be more infuriating to Cap than seeing Stark and Banner trying to activate ANOTHER super AI being? And then on the flip side Stark, Banner and Hawkeye are watching Cap strutting right into their base flanked by two VILLAINS. Of course they're gonna come to blows, lol.

8. I'll watch whatever cut comes out on blu-ray but yeah, they nailed it with this theatrical edition. While this was not a perfect movie or anything I am reminded of the battles that I read about between George Lucas and Fox on Star Wars or between him and Kershner on ESB and how having that creative conflict created real magic on screen. Joss is not a director you just want to hand the keys to and give full control of your property (like Lucas, and I know some would even argue like Peter Jackson.) He doesn't need yes men he needs the battle. And what he wanted in the movie was damn good for the most part. What Disney was pushing for was also good and I am glad neither side got exactly what they wanted.

Nice write up.

It's easy to pick on Hollywood and support the artist but the reality is that a balance between the 2 tends to work the best.

I did feel for Ultron at the end, you're right.

the numbers were based on how much foreign box office takes, Disney doesn't see all of that money you know....

Age of Ultron's decline from the first to the second week is the second largest drop in box office history.

It will make money but nowhere near as much as the first avengers. not even close

Box office mojo:

Avengers: Age of Ultron didn't plummet from the sky like that Sokovian fiefdom in the film but, with its $77.2 million 2nd week outing, it did drop 59.6% from its opening take of $191 million.

The film did fall further than other, recent Marvel films.

Iron Man 3's second week, in the same 2nd week frame in May 2013, fell 58.4%.

But, to put things in further perspective that 59.6% is nowhere near the drop the previous #1 weekend-record slot took, a film not in the Marvel Universe, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. The finale to the wildly popular film series dropped a whopping 72% in its second weekend, going from an opening of $169 million to $47 million.

If AOU wasn't already profitable there would be no Hollywood, no movies.

Why would they even bother if a movie that has made 900 million in just 10 days was losing money, especially since that isn't the norm.

If they're losing money with AOU then every single movie ever made wasn't profitable.

Hollywood would shut down today if AOU was losing money.

You're too funny. :lol

If AOU wasn't already profitable there would be no Hollywood, no movies.

Why would they even bother if a movie that has made 900 million in just 10 days was losing money, especially since that isn't the norm.

If they're losing money with AOU then every single movie ever made wasn't profitable.

Hollywood would shut down today if AOU was losing money.

You're too funny. :lol

tumblr_ms7tywkq981s9gq1zo3_500.gif

Jye you are our ONLY hope!!
You need to go atch AOU 20 times today! please!!!!!!!!!! halp
:gah::gah:
HELP US JYE

What the box office stuff means is that the people that wanted to see the movie saw it on opening weekend.

It means that opening the movie on foreign markets first was not the greatest idea since so many people saw the leaked version.

maybe word of mouth made people wanna wait for the Blu Ray

it means more people saw Avengers 1 the second and third weekend than they did Age of Ultron.

It means Disney is going to have to rely more in the sales of toys and merchandise than they did for Avengers 1

(They sold a lot of toys back then obviously but they didn't rely on toys to make all the profits )

it also means that maybe they need to open the next Avengers and Captain America should be released here first.

Seeing how releasing it overseas kind of backfire for them (with the leaks)

so yeah, it does mean a lot :wave

I will be the 1st to say that the Hollywood/Wall Street marriage is a greed first business model which means that YES, even movies like AOU that have earned 900 million in a mere 10 days and will easily go over a billion might seem like a failure to some greedy ass hedge fund investor which could have a negative impact on future movie budgets.

But the Tax, Merchandising, Distribution, Marketing, International, Exhibit, Bundling and Network deals happening behind the scenes are so complicated and layered that we will never know the true numbers.

The movie is doing just fine, i'm sure most investors are pleased with the numbers.

The greedy ones will just have to suck it up with their 2 million dollar profit instead of 2 million and 50 dollars. :lol

No one has all the data except the movie studio. For everyone else, it's conjecture, based more or less on available information. But jye has to be correct. If the pessimistic estimates were right, we wouldn't see blockbuster after blockbuster created to begin with. There are also merchandising, DVD/download, and other benefits that no doubt feed into the Marvel/movie studio calculus.

That doesn't mean much to me. It had one of the largest openings in history. So it had much larger to fall. Even if it only fell by a handful of percentage points, it would have had a larger drop from 1st to 2nd week than probably 80% of all movies ever released.

crows if finding a reason to gloat about AoU's profits is so important to you I'd fixate on comparing it to TDKR instead of the first Avengers. TDKR made $448 million domestic and that was without any 3D upcharges. The jury is out as to whether AoU will hit that Stateside. So that could be the "victory" you're looking for.

Apparently AoU made the most money in a second week at the box office vs any other movie not named Avengers. So uh, what are people on about?

Who knows. The original Avengers hit $300 million after 9 days, it took Age of Ultron 10 days to hit $300 million. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that it's doing okay.

Age of Ultron is just being shown from today in China.The Avengers was same as America.Maybe you can check the box-office tomorrow.

从我的 iPad 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Some [boys] just want to watch the world burn... :dunno

Even when it isn't burning....

I noticed when watching the movie last night that when the Avengers are fighting with each other about opening the "cradle" that Stark shoots Cap full on in the chest with his palm repulsor. WTF!? What if that killed Cap? Can you imagine him just blowing a whole in Cap's chest and Rogers just falls onto his back, lifeless eyes just starting at the ceiling. That would have definitely changed the course of the movie. :lol

Of course Cap just shrugs it off and is all chummy about having nothing better to do a few minutes later. You better watch yourself in CW Stark. :lol

It's a nice follow up to the tension that began in Avengers when Cap kept telling Stark to "suit up".

If you watch in AOU that's what he does in his usual bits and pieces.

How did you interpret Rogers' dream with Peggy jye? He seemed to be the only one who had a pleasant experience and yet he didn't actually engage and dance with her. I took it as representing the moment that he realized he isn't the hopeless romantic waiting for the right partner anymore and is instead a career soldier. I actually thought it was kind of sad that one of the last remnants of "skinny Steve" had finally gone away.

But "getting better through change" was one of the more prominent themes of the movie, something the Avengers were initially resisting according to Ultron and it showed how Cap was changing based on the needs of the world he lived in. Kind of the opposite of TDKR Bruce, if you will.

Back