Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading this thread is hilarious. I miss the good old days when you judged a movie AFTER you had seen it.

I am not going into this movie expecting it to be terrible nor am I going into this movie expecting it to be amazing. Because I haven't seen it yet, therefore I simply do not know what it is going to be like. And no amount of premature internet hate / trolling is going to change my mind.

Last edited:
Reading this thread is hilarious. I miss the good old days when you judged a movie AFTER you had seen it.

I am not going into this movie expecting it to be terrible nor am I going into this movie expecting it to be amazing. Because I haven't seen it yet, therefore I simply do not know what it is going to be like. And no amount of premature internet hate / trolling is going to change my mind.

Im not talking about you specifically but I do find it equally hilarious when people will defend a movie or show even before they see it, the door swings both ways.
Obviously you cant say something sucks if you haven't seen it, but some people online are ready to get into fist fights if you so much as say that the movie might be horrible :lol

Im not talking about you specifically but I do find it equally hilarious when people will defend a movie or show even before they see it, the door swings both ways.
Obviously you cant say something sucks if you haven't seen it, but some people online are ready to get into fist fights if you so much as say that the movie might be horrible :lol

:wink1: It's cool, I'm not saying it's going to be good OR bad, so I definitely agree with what you are saying. People who blindly shower praise on something before seeing it aggravate me equally as much as those who start a hate bandwagon against something before seeing it.

It's becoming far too common on the internet now, and it's one of the reasons that I don't use this forum as much as I used to 2-3 years ago. It's a shame because you occasionally get rational, decent discussion on here, but now it is mostly just people trying to promote or tarnish a movie's reputation, for some unknown agenda. It was starting to suck the enjoyment out of movies for me.

I'm not naive to the fact that this is nothing new, and I know that the internet is full of trolls, social justice warriors and people with big egos to nurture, but it seems to be much worse now than it was previously. I hardly use IMDB too. The website has become a joke, the discussions on there are often pointless and downright stupid.

Last edited:
Movies are a nice destraction from the dark realities some people face. Marvel does a good job in balancing some elements of darkness while also helping the audience have fun. Life can be pretty stressful as it is and movies can act as distractions from that. That being said, I do really love DC's darker style.

Further to the thoughts I raised in my previous post.

:goodpost: I agree with this 100%

This is why I love movies so much, they are the perfect escape from real life. I enjoy movies for the stories they tell and the world I'm absorbed into. I don't spend time and effort scrutinising a character's motive or the way their voice sounds or the way their outfit looks or the fact that this story is too similar to that story or the fact this tiny little event here creates a tiny plot hole or whatever other problems people create every time something new hits the big screen.

It's no way to enjoy movies.

This is all in my own opinion of course, I'm not trying to tell people how to view and enjoy movies, but **** sometimes it seems like some people have a really miserable way of viewing things.

Further to the thoughts I raised in my previous post.

:goodpost: I agree with this 100%

This is why I love movies so much, they are the perfect escape from real life. I enjoy movies for the stories they tell and the world I'm absorbed into. I don't spend time and effort scrutinising a character's motive or the way their voice sounds or the way their outfit looks or the fact that this story is too similar to that story or the fact this tiny little event here creates a tiny plot hole or whatever other problems people create every time something new hits the big screen.

It's no way to enjoy movies.

This is all in my own opinion of course, I'm not trying to tell people how to view and enjoy movies, but **** sometimes it seems like some people have a really miserable way of viewing things.

The Internet created a medium for people to be able to discuss and share their thoughts on a movie but I feel that evolved into a place where people focus almost exclusively in the negative. Back in the day I was able to watch any movie and be entertained by it without focusing on its flaws. It took a lot to actually dislike a movie. I have such great memories from ID4 everybody loved it back then but now everybody criticize it. Always the same regurgitated opions too (ahhh that movie is crap,it's just propaganda for the USA army bla bla bla).

This board has been specially negative lately. Nothing but complaining. Even I am guilty of that... I have been ripping on certain movies for no real good reason. Thats why, a couple days ago, I decided to back out from these threads a bit because the constant criticism, negativity and nitpicking is very abhorrent and its getting old. Marvel movies are great, the DC ones are too... feels good to be able to just sit back and enjoying them without worrying if Loki is overrated Or wether Superman should or should not have broke another man's neck.

It's such a different tone being able to talk movies with people in the real World. Everybody's opinion are way less extreme. All this overanalizing and scrutinising is killing the fun for me.

Indeed, it's no way to enjoy a movie.

The Internet created a medium for people to be able to discuss and share their thoughts on a movie but I feel that evolved into a place where people focus almost exclusively in the negative. Back in the day I was able to watch any movie and be entertained by it without focusing on its flaws. It took a lot to actually dislike a movie. I have such great memories from ID4 everybody loved it back then but now everybody criticize it. Always the same regurgitated opions too (ahhh that movie is crap,it's just propaganda for the USA army bla bla bla).

This board has been specially negative lately. Nothing but complaining. Even I am guilty of that... I have been ripping on certain movies for no real good reason. Thats why, a couple days ago, I decided to back out from these threads a bit because the constant criticism, negativity and nitpicking is very abhorrent and its getting old. Marvel movies are great, the DC ones are too... feels good to be able to just sit back and enjoying them without worrying if Loki is overrated Or wether Superman should or should not have broke another man's neck.

It's such a different tone being able to talk movies with people in the real World. Everybody's opinion are way less extreme. All this overanalizing and scrutinising is killing the fun for me.

Indeed, it's no way to enjoy a movie.

I agree with your whole post, the part in bold especially.

I often watch movies and think "that was great!" and don't really acknowledge that there was much wrong with it (if anything at all), because any so-called issues with it simply weren't there for me or were so small that I overlooked them. I just relaxed and enjoyed what I saw.

It's only when I then stumble onto the movie's IMDB page or a related thread on a forum or some highly strung review online that I am exposed to the "alleged" problems that a movie had. I can't help but think "why are these things that I didn't even notice or care for being exaggerated into such a big deal?". Some of the things that people raise as "genuine" problems mean absolutely nothing to me and often pale into insignificance.

And I agree about the repeated bashing of a particular "problem" over and over again, it gets very old and extremely boring. People think they are bringing some revolutionary new insight into the movie.

You're very right, it feels good to just sit back and enjoy movies without worrying over the tiny details :hi5:

:wink1: It's cool, I'm not saying it's going to be good OR bad, so I definitely agree with what you are saying. People who blindly shower praise on something before seeing it aggravate me equally as much as those who start a hate bandwagon against something before seeing it.

It's becoming far too common on the internet now, and it's one of the reasons that I don't use this forum as much as I used to 2-3 years ago. It's a shame because you occasionally get rational, decent discussion on here, but now it is mostly just people trying to promote or tarnish a movie's reputation, for some unknown agenda. It was starting to suck the enjoyment out of movies for me.

I'm not naive to the fact that this is nothing new, and I know that the internet is full of trolls, social justice warriors and people with big egos to nurture, but it seems to be much worse now than it was previously. I hardly use IMDB too. The website has become a joke, the discussions on there are often pointless and downright stupid.

i think some of the avengers hate comes from superhero fatigue and Marvel fatigue. Specially if you happen to be a fan of other heroes like batman or spawn or other heroes
Plus the weird humor Joss Whedon and marvel adds to the movies. that can turn off some people and the trailers showed it will have some of that.

and a lot of the complaining im seeing is about ultron himself, how he might not be as serious and cold as he was supposed to be

i think some of the avengers hate comes from superhero fatigue and Marvel fatigue. Specially if you happen to be a fan of other heroes like batman or spawn or other heroes
Plus the weird humor Joss Whedon and marvel adds to the movies. that can turn off some people and the trailers showed it will have some of that.

and a lot of the complaining im seeing is about ultron himself, how he might not be as serious and cold as he was supposed to be

Whilst I can see what you are saying, I don't really buy the concept of genre fatigue. Sure, there are a lot of them around now, but they are immensely successful and are enjoyed by a huge majority of the Earth's cinema-going population. You are not being forced into seeing them. If you feel like you've had your fill, walk away, and come back to it later.

On your second point about Ultron, is he really supposed to be this way? I know he is based on an existing character (a character that I know very well from reading comics for over 15 years), but this is an adaptation of a story. Tony Stark, as an example, differs greatly from page to screen.

Just for the record, I am not an old miserable man haha, nor am I member of the so-called "ADD generation" that the internet community seems to have so poetically created. I am 26 years old and I can fully appreciate and enjoy a 30's black and white classic such as "Angels With Dirty Faces just as much as I can appreciate and enjoy an 80's Sci-Fi flick like "RoboCop" or a modern day summer blockbuster CGI-fest like "Transformers". As long as I am entertained and buy into the story, I'm happy.

Last edited:
i think some of the avengers hate comes from superhero fatigue and Marvel fatigue.
Yep.
It doesn't help that their movies are very similar in premise and tone.
And the fact that IM3 and TDW sucked while GotG was just ok and nothing special.

On the other hand it's hard to critique such a big cinematic conveyor.
They'll always play it as safe as possible and most people will enjoy it regardless.

Whilst I can see what you are saying, I don't really buy the concept of genre fatigue. Sure, there are a lot of them around now, but they are immensely successful and are enjoyed by a huge majority of the Earth's cinema-going population. You are not being forced into seeing them. If you feel like you've had your fill, walk away, and come back to it later.

On your second point about Ultron, is he really supposed to be this way? I know he is based on an existing character (a character that I know very well from reading comics for over 15 years), but this is an adaptation of a story. Tony Stark, as an example, differs greatly from page to screen.

Just for the record, I am not an old miserable man haha, nor am I member of the so-called "ADD generation" that the internet community seems to have so poetically created. I am 26 years old and I can fully appreciate and enjoy a 30's black and white classic such as "Angels With Dirty Faces just as much as I can appreciate and enjoy an 80's Sci-Fi flick like "RoboCop" or a modern day summer blockbuster CGI-fest like "Transformers". As long as I am entertained and buy into the story, I'm happy.

the thing with superhero fatigue is having to have the ads and billboards and commercials shoved in your face all the time. it happened with twilight too
you couldnt turn on a tv or out to a mall without seeing an ad for the movie or merchandise sold or have posters everywhere. for a while Hot Topic was filled with twilight stuff from corner to corner lol
so, yeah some people might not watch the movie but they get tired of having marvel around all the time, specially if you are a nerd. it is not just about not watching a movie, it is about everything else. if you happen to be a geek these movies will show up everywhere. (or zombie fatigue with walking dead)

Most people are not engrossed in the day to day Marvel, DC, Starwars, Entertainment & Collectable universe as we are. :)

Most people are not engrossed in the day to day Marvel, DC, Starwars, Entertainment & Collectable universe as we are. :)

True, but my point is about the way that some people treat movies in general, not just the superhero genre. Admittedly I have raised this point in a discussion about a superhero film, but the over-reactive behaviour and nit-picking hate campaigns I am referring to aren't exclusive to the superhero genre. You see it with all movies. It's really sad that it's come to this.

Like I said before, it was starting to ruin my enjoyment of movies, which is why I haven't been on this forum for a while. In fact, I think that this is the most I have posted in one day for at least 18 months or 2 years.

Another thing that puzzles me is the overuse of the word "hate" when people describe their feelings towards a movie. I see "I HATE that movie" or "I hated that character". It's a ridiculously strong word to describe the way someone feels about a movie, it really is. It's an over-reactive comment to try and make a statement against it. Of course you're allowed to dislike a movie or not enjoy it as much as somebody else, but that is truly all it is; you disliked it, you didn't enjoy it much, nothing more. To say that you HATE a movie is preposterous in my opinion.

Last edited:
To say that you HATE a movie is preposterous in my opinion.
As preposterous as being obsessed with anything, especially with toys and dolls.
As preposterous as posting on the internet instead of talking and interacting with living beings.
As preposterous as saying "in my opinion", which is literally stating the obvious.

People are extremely flawed creatures. :wink1:

As preposterous as being obsessed with anything, especially with toys and dolls.
As preposterous as posting on the internet instead of talking to living beings.
As preposterous as saying "in my opinion", which is literally stating the obvious.

People are extremely flawed creatures. :wink1:

I don't think that having a passion or interest is preposterous.
I have these kinds of discussions face to face with my friends, family, work colleagues etc. Unfortunately, when it comes to having these discussions with people on this forum; distances of hundreds and sometimes thousands of miles prevent the possibility of having these discussions face to face :wink1:
I find that stating something without following it with "in my opinion" or "IMO" opens you up to attacks, critique and scrutiny, so I almost automatically put it in every message now :)

Aaaaaaand immediately started with "I don't", "I have", "people are", etc...
You're a human being, just like everyone else.
Don't like something? Then stop accusing others while defending yourself and make a difference.

It's like all these talks about superheroes are meaningless.
All these symbols of good and justice are pointless...

Back