Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ATTENTION all Custom Artists!!

Thanks for the tips DA! Great work on the hair, after seeing these pics, I hate my paint apps on MY Anakin:monkey2 and I'm gonna have to redo it. Hope we didn't put too much work and pressure on ya for this thread, but your work is great. Can't wait for the eye painting tips.:D

Thanks a bunch MV! No, not a problem you at all. This weekend I thankfully had a lot of time to paint and was finally caught up enough to do so... I'm gald to have been able to do anything at all. :lol

A question for the customizers, I have a few Resin heads that are coming that I want to eventually move onto an Art S Buck. For painting the heads I would imagine you'd need a primer first right? Which is recommended if one is needed, also how hard is it to transfer a resin head onto an Art S Buck. I don't really care about articulation I just want the head on there....

Oh....and thank you for your help. :D

Hmm....Not sure about attaching heads unless the person sending them to me has already dremeled them out for me.... Maybe Les will know?

I know it's not that hard a fix, as long as you have a Dremel tool. :D

Yes, a Dremel tool is a must if the head's not hollow.

I sometimes cut the headmount post off square on some figure bodies, and superglue the head flat on there. Requires prepping either the base, or the head, or both, but it does work.
Depends on the head. If it is solid, then it may be dremel time.

Damn. No Dremmel....nor do I have the knowledge of what to do....I may have gotten in over my head at this point...:monkey5

Cordless Dremels are available in most large retail stores. Not sure where you are Jedi Mike, but Walmart has them. Worth every penny!
A couple of routing bits, that allow for you to scour out an area, hollow it out, and you are in business. Do it one time and it's a known skill. Not hard, just takes some patience.

And, trimming the neckpost off flush of an old body is not hard either. If you can join a smoothed, flat based head, to a flat based neckpost, with superglue, you are in business! Espcially if the collar or clothing hides the joint.

Hope that helps.

Les, I'm really interested could you maybe tutorial it or at least step by step it? I have a possible three customs that are coming to be made with Resin heads and Art S Bucks (I know the bodies aren't the best but I want them in scale with my other SSCs) so I just might pick up a Dremmel at Wally World after all...

Will do Mike. Give me a day or so to get all that together.
I am buried in repaints and may not be able to do that particular work at the moment, but may be able to by midweek. I do have a figure that might work perfectly for this. I will take some shots when I do it.
Cool? :D

I can wait. My stuff hasn't fully arrived but I got a really good Indy sculpt from eBay and got the Relic Hunter stuff with a custom Fedora so I really want to put my Indy together, my wife wants to paint it after reading Josh's tutorial although I just might send it to him...:lol My stuff hasn't fully arrived and I'll have to head to Wally World to get my Dremmel too!

Looking forward to it!!

One question went unanswered...do I need primer first before painting resin? I would assume so, if so which one is recommended?

Another question, if I want to sculpt things like guantlets, you would first use clay or sculpty right? That that isn't exactly durable if I read correctly so that's way people move to resin, how exactly do I cast?

well i guess this might help some..

when sculpting...

I used grey super sculpey.
combine pink super sculpey with black and white sculpey III.

I sculpt using dental tools,
I smooth with a brush and some 90% rubbing alcohol.
After it bakes (i usually do the head first and then the hair after baked)
I sand with a sand paper.

I Cast using smooth-on.com supplies.
And sometimes the more expensive Alumilite stuff

WHen painting

I paint using acrylics and sometimes pastel powder.
I now have a Iwata Airbrush I used to paint on some tones and basecoat.
I bought most of the stuff on eBay which comes with the air compressor.
About $200 in total.
I went to DIXIE airbrush supplies which is online for all the paint.

I use a grey(neutral color) primer so it gives a pourous skin texture on the HS and helps the paint adhere on.

I use a shine of some clear spray to stimulate lifelike moisture and I always seal.

I guess thats it ^^

That does help a lot! I know Les is going to show how to do it as well but I have a Resin head that I want to attach to an Art S Buck, if someone else could also post just what is needed there I'd appreciate it as well! I can't wait to start my own customs!

you can just drill the hole with a big dremel :)
Make sure the neck isn't too long, and it usually can never be too long lol.

make sure you get either aves apoxie putty or some green stuff (kneaditite putty) or some magic sculpt

Those are good self-hardening "clays" and it'll secure that head on the neck
and you can edit heads with them.

and tools on eBay
type in either:

"dental tools"
"wax tools"
"clay tools"
"sculpt tools"

if you 're thinking of sculpting :)

Last edited:

ok. now I want to contribute.
Im still very noob and just wing almost everything I do.
If you see any pointers that would be easier/better, dont hesitste to LMK!

KHelm-Tut1.jpg

KHelm-Tut2.jpg

next, the snout comes out a little

That is great! So if I decided to sculpt with Sculpty or Apoxie, I can dry that or let it dry and paint that right? I don't necessarily have to recast in resin do I? Is the finished job more fragile in sculpty or apoxie?

occulum said:
ok. now I want to contribute.
Im still very noob and just wing almost everything I do.
If you see any pointers that would be easier/better, dont hesitste to LMK!

KHelm-Tut1.jpg

KHelm-Tut2.jpg

next, the snout comes out a little
that is just freakin AWESOME!!! please keep us updated as u go.

Back