Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ATTENTION all Custom Artists!!

Aves Apoxie is rock hard. Much harder/more durable then sculpey.
The benefit of Sulpey, is that it stays soft until you bake it. It has a looong shelf life. You can start a sculpt and finish it long after as long as you dont bake it.
Aves on the other hand, is a 2 part apoxie. You mix even parts of it and then you have about 3hrs work time until it hardens. It hardens on its own and doesnt require baking.

Its funny cause different sculptors use opposite methods when using Aves.
Example. (this is info that, from what Ive read, I believe is accurate)

Randy Bowen builds a wire armature, then adds Aves to the wire to add form/strength and then adds sculpey on top of that to do the majority of the sculpt and all the detail.

Martin Canale does the complete opposite. He does his form usually in sculpey and then finishes/skins it with Aves on the outside.

Id recommend sculpey for detail sculpting for us noobs, as youre not working against a deadline before it hardens like aves does.
Experienced sculptors like Martin can use the aves for detail cause theyre just good and fast like that.

occulum said:
ok. now I want to contribute.
Im still very noob and just wing almost everything I do.
If you see any pointers that would be easier/better, dont hesitste to LMK!

KHelm-Tut1.jpg

KHelm-Tut2.jpg

next, the snout comes out a little

Awful, you should destroy it and never speak of it again:rolleyes:

What kind of barbaric fool would wear a skull on his head anyway:cool:

occulum said:
ok. now I want to contribute.
Im still very noob and just wing almost everything I do.
If you see any pointers that would be easier/better, dont hesitste to LMK!

next, the snout comes out a little
quite amazing occulum. you're no noob at sculpting wow.
awesome techinque, let me go get some of that bendy metal now :)
tahnsk for the input!

that's a great little tutorial there, and I'm sure will help a lot of people.

My favourite line? "and then the ears got the Mr Blonde treatment" :lol

occulum is capable of single hand'dly producing his very own line of him.
he just needs a bit of a heavy financial backing from al of you fans lol to motivate him more ;):rolleyes: :rolleyes: :lol :lol

Occulum needs somebody to go to work for him.
I cant get out of this f'n place!!

:crying

Hey guys, I've been toying with the idea of putting together a custom Jack Bauer 12" figure since I don't see a good one coming out for some time (I know there is Medicom's but I'm not a fan of theirs, plus it is $$$). I found this "custom" head on ebay. It is probably a cast of Medicom's but I'm not sure. It looks fairly good though sculpt wise. It is made out a resin and I just wanted to know if that holds up well and if it can be painted without problems. Here is the link.

https://cgi.ebay.com/1-6-Scale-Cust...goryZ348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I do end up getting one of these I'd probably need one of the great painters here to paint it for me. I'd want it attached to a Sideshow body (already have a base figure in mind) so it may need a little work in the fitting area as well. Like I said, I'm still not sure if I will do it anytime soon because of Jabba coming and all, but I thought I could use some info to help me decide. Any help is great.

BTW, just finished season 3 and starting on season 4, so please no spoilers about Jack after season 3. I hope to catch up soon and catch the last half of the current season live and backtrack with itunes or something for the first half.

Last edited:

Buttmunch said:
Hey guys, I've been toying with the idea of putting together a custom Jack Bauer 12" figure since I don't see a good one coming out for some time (I know there is Medicom's but I'm not a fan of theirs, plus it is $$$). I found this "custom" head on ebay. It is probably a cast of Medicom's but I'm not sure. It looks fairly good though sculpt wise. It is made out a resin and I just wanted to know if that holds up well and if it can be painted without problems. Here is the link.

https://cgi.ebay.com/1-6-Scale-Cust...goryZ348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I do end up getting one of these I'd probably need one of the great painters here to paint it for me. I'd want it attached to a Sideshow body (already have a base figure in mind) so it may need a little work in the fitting area as well. Like I said, I'm still not sure if I will do it anytime soon because of Jabba coming and all, but I thought I could use some info to help me decide. Any help is great.

BTW, just finished season 3 and starting on season 4, so please no spoilers about Jack after season 3. I hope to catch up soon and catch the last half of the current season live and backtrack with itunes or something for the first half.
i recommend not to buy from that recaster.
he takes other ARTISTS works and recasts them, takes away their business and doesn't give a crap.
I mean, recasting company heads isn't so highly condmenable because usually you can get them for cheaper or the same price, but he's recasting Lonnie's hero line heads and other custom heads.
I'd say get the jack bauer head from www.h2creative.com

sculpted by jim maddox

Molding

Jedi_Mike said:
Another question, if I want to sculpt things like guantlets, you would first use clay or sculpty right? That that isn't exactly durable if I read correctly so that's way people move to resin, how exactly do I cast?

It's great to see that others are also heading in this direction. I'll be pouring my first custom head very soon...but I cheated on the mold; a pro made the mold for me.

I've found a great source for casting materials and information: Reynolds Advanced Materials. They sell a couple of instructional DVDs for $20 each. The one to order, if you're interested, is called "An Introduction to Mold Making and Casting." They offer seminars for $60 in Dallas, Orlando, and North Hollywood CA, but the seminars aren't hands-on.

A helmet like Occulum's might be made in a single piece by a very experienced moldmaker using the high-end type of silicone that makes a nice soft peelable mold but has to be put through a vacuum chamber to remove air bubbles and has to be mixed using a precise gram scale. Noobs like us would probably do better cutting the jaw extensions off, building small flanges to reattach them, and casting the helmet in three pieces, using a silicone called OOMOO that doesn't have to be put through a vacuum chamber and can be mixed by volume rather than weight.

As for my upcoming first pour, it'll be a while before I reveal the custom I'm building. It's part of a set, and its final production stop is in Waycross, GA. The guy who lives there is kind of tied up now...but I'll tell you that his first reaction was, "Now, that's obscure!" :D

sunohc said:
i recommend not to buy from that recaster.
he takes other ARTISTS works and recasts them, takes away their business and doesn't give a crap.
I mean, recasting company heads isn't so highly condmenable because usually you can get them for cheaper or the same price, but he's recasting Lonnie's hero line heads and other custom heads.
I'd say get the jack bauer head from www.h2creative.com

sculpted by jim maddox

Thanks for the advice. I figured that was all that guy was doing. I thought I saw some Sideshow sculpts in there too.

I tried to find a Kiefer/Jack head under the hero heads section and didn't find one. The casting and molding pages as well as Jim's link wouldn't work. Do you have a direct link to the page with the Jack head?

abstractharmony said:
Buttmunch, that's exactly what I did (although I managed to get a painted re-cast off of the bay).

You can check out Jack here :-

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15774

Yeah I saw that. Great job. I plan on using a different outfit though. Below is the best I can show of what I'm planning with my crappy photoshopping skills.
Probably pretty obvious what figure parts I'll be using.

roughjackcustomeu6.jpg

Does this happen to be the "Jack Sack" you bought?
https://www.monkeydepot.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6011
I may try to hunt it down anyway (although I haven't seen it pop up yet in the first three series I've seen).

So if anyone knows a place with the Doggett figure for cheap let me know. I already know where to get the bullet proof vest and some other items for cheap.

Last edited:
Re: Molding

Gruff Old Bear said:
As for my upcoming first pour, it'll be a while before I reveal the custom I'm building. It's part of a set, and its final production stop is in Waycross, GA. The guy who lives there is kind of tied up now...but I'll tell you that his first reaction was, "Now, that's obscure!" :D

Love that, Gruff!! ;)

buttmunch,
while I don't have much against recasting a company head, this diver4 recasts other custom artist stuff which I don't want to condone.
And, his head castings are also notoriously known for their bubbles on them, and I can say from first-hand experience that they do have occasional bubbles. NOt alot, but more compared to the flawless frontline ones.

Look at this thread regarding the one Diver4 is selling...
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36278&highlight=jack+bauer
It's not the medicom one that Diver4 recasted, but
ECHOBASE's custom one...

Jim Maddox's Version:(sculpts for Frontline hero heads)
Get it from Jim Maddox himself (who sculpted it),
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34748&
and I think Lonnie might be able to help as well: [email protected]

Examples
of the head in a custom by talented members and artists:
- Louie of Triad Toy's custom of this head
- Bmejedi's Custom of this head

---------------------------

echobasetoys Version
https://www.echobasetoys.com/More_12_inch_Stuff_Pics/Custom_Stuff_Pics/Pic-CHS-JB24a.jpg
and it may be sold out on their site
but you can get it from this guy, maybe (if he still has it)
this guy
Or you could ask the site owner, or maybe members who might have some unpainted
Examples

- Tracker47's Use of the head

- DoctorT's Use of the Head

- GrenadierStinny's Use of the Head

-------------------------------
an upcoming art asylum one...
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61538&highlight=jack+bauer

hope this helps.

Last edited:

sunohc said:
buttmunch,
while I don't have much against recasting a company head, this diver4 recasts other custom artist stuff which I don't want to condone.
And, his head castings are also notoriously known for their bubbles on them, and I can say from first-hand experience that they do have occasional bubbles. NOt alot, but more compared to the flawless frontline ones.

Look at this thread regarding the one Diver4 is selling...
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36278&highlight=jack+bauer
It's not the medicom one that Diver4 recasted, but
ECHOBASE's custom one...

Jim Maddox's Version:(sculpts for Frontline hero heads)
Get it from Jim Maddox himself (who sculpted it),
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34748&
and I think Lonnie might be able to help as well: [email protected]

Examples
of the head in a custom by talented members and artists:
- Louie of Triad Toy's custom of this head
- Bmejedi's Custom of this head

---------------------------

echobasetoys Version
https://www.echobasetoys.com/More_12_inch_Stuff_Pics/Custom_Stuff_Pics/Pic-CHS-JB24a.jpg
and it may be sold out on their site
but you can get it from this guy, maybe (if he still has it)
this guy
Or you could ask the site owner, or maybe members who might have some unpainted
Examples

- Tracker47's Use of the head

- DoctorT's Use of the Head

- GrenadierStinny's Use of the Head

an upcoming art asylum one...
https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61538&highlight=jack+bauer

hope this helps.

Thanks. I just signed up for the board to be able to read and see everything. I had no idea there were so many Jack sculpts floating around. I only knew of Medicom's. I'm really going to look into this after Toy Fair. I figure if there is a decent one coming from Art Asylum I may just hold off on the custom. Thanks again for all of the help! I'll post here again letting anyone know what I decide to do.

That Diver 4 one looks good to me. Not better than Maddox's original though.
I'd get any of Jim's heads through Lonnie. Easier and faster.

Back