Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ATTENTION all Custom Artists!!

Figuremaster Les said:
That Diver 4 one looks good to me. Not better than Maddox's original though.
I'd get any of Jim's heads through Lonnie. Easier and faster.

I think the Diver 4 one and the Echobase one look the best. Not sure which I'll get. Still going to wait after Toy Fair to see if The 12" figure is releaved and if it looks good or not before I start making one.

I know I'll have to have one of our great painters on this board paint it for me though. :monkey3

Buttmunch, don't know if this is the Jack head you've been watching or not, I think it's a Mattox (I think ALL these are...) but that is the only one I have ever painted. This one back about August or September or so.

Not too bad really, but I might wait too, to see if the likeness is better than this one is.

Mattoxheadrevue1.jpg

Figuremaster Les said:
Buttmunch, don't know if this is the Jack head you've been watching or not, I think it's a Mattox (I think ALL these are...) but that is the only one I have ever painted. This one back about August or September or so.

Not too bad really, but I might wait too, to see if the likeness is better than this one is.

Mattoxheadrevue1.jpg

That looks like Medicom's. You have painted the hair the best I've seen though. Kiefer has some tricky hair- both in style and color!

Buttmunch said:
That looks like Medicom's. You have painted the hair the best I've seen though. Kiefer has some tricky hair- both in style and color!
medicom's does have that hair combed i think.

yes the toy fair one might be good, and mcfralane actually had a 7" one out and they usually make 12" ones because they are usually sculpted in 1/6 scale and then shrunken down.

also, if you can't wait, asking maddox or lonnie about theirs wouldn't hurt, or even echobase's. It's only like $15 or so i think.
The 12" toy fair one might be expensive to just buy the figure alone

sunohc said:
medicom's does have that hair combed i think.

yes the toy fair one might be good, and mcfralane actually had a 7" one out and they usually make 12" ones because they are usually sculpted in 1/6 scale and then shrunken down.

also, if you can't wait, asking maddox or lonnie about theirs wouldn't hurt, or even echobase's. It's only like $15 or so i think.
The 12" toy fair one might be expensive to just buy the figure alone

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm just hoping the Art Asylum or whoever is making the new 12" Jack shows it at Toy Fair and it is good all around - sculpt, outfit, etc. I could handle transfering the head and outfit to a Sideshow body if the articulation sucks. Like I said, if they don't show it at Toy Fair or it isn't great I'll start hunting for one.

HELP I NEED YOUR ARTISTS EYES:lol

I just finished repainting my VCD Yoda eyes and would like to hear your feedback before i put the varnish on.

Stock eye :

DSC00323.jpg

No flash:

DSC00322.jpg

Flash:

DSC00321.jpg

Any suggestions?

I like it!

Extras:
I would put a very light line of watered down, or toned down burnt umber along the inner eyelids, to better delineate the eye some, not on the whites, just inside each eyelid, and it would help to make them pop more, but that is optional.
Looks good.

Also, you might try some washes of the skin green color, if you can mix it, with some burnt umber, which is darker, around the eyes, and wipe it off with your finger, leaving the deepest places shaded slightly. Not too much! Just a bit, and you will find it will help with the cracks and shadings some too. If you are not sure about this, don't try it. Just a suggestion.

But, your eyes look super to me. Gloss hell out of 'em!:D

How close is burnt or raw sienna in color to burnt umber?

yeah.
put some burnt sienna (anhy kind of light brown or reddish brown) into center of the eyes.
it's too green, should have some brown in the center.
and the put the black pupil over it, but you should see the brown colors around the pupil.
Yoda's eyes are more brownish-green than greenish green

good eye les.

orbitingx said:
How close is burnt or raw sienna in color to burnt umber?

Sienna is an earth color, like dirt. It has an almost leather like color to it. Raw sienna is the tanner of the two, and the burnt sienna look is always a ruddy or redder tint than the raw, like red clay.
Burnt umber is basically the color of coffee grounds or dark dirt (see pic). A rich, very dark brown, with more green and black than red.

The two most basic dark tones most used in painting, are Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber. I live by the burnt Umber as a basetone and it is present in many of my paints.
Raw Umber is kind of blah, and I rarely use it. But, it might be useful for shading on a Yoda!

And listen to Sunohc. Yoda's eyes are a tad less pure green, but I see what you were aiming for. They are richer now.
Try the other color on top of that if you feel brave enough, but only a slightly lighter greenish brown than what you have used. And yes, you may have to redo the pupil, but that is painting eyes! I always end up repainting pupils several times over myself.
Remember, it's just paint. :D

Oh, and I was referring more to your rimming the eyes themselves, as in eyeliner, than just the iris area. If you are not sure about it, don't do it. It can get messy if done wrong.
I actually paint the darker colors around the inner eye first, then paint the whites, which sounds backwards, but it works for me. Then I paint in irises, etc. So, I already have that outline I am talking about before I even have the whites painted. It requires a moment or two of not breathing, and remaining totally still, while painting in the whites, but it works better and adds some realism.
Try it if you want.

Confused now? Hope not. PM me if you need more.

Last edited:

Thanks guys this is the kind of advice i was looking for.

Question though

How do i apply brown to the center without making the pupil look enlarged?

Any other tips and tricks would be very welcome.

Thanks again for the help.

:D

orbitingx said:
Thanks guys this is the kind of advice i was looking for.

Question though

How do i apply brown to the center without making the pupil look enlarged?

Any other tips and tricks would be very welcome.

Thanks again for the help.

:D
if i'm correct, the brown should be lightest near the pupil and slowly fade out, so you'd see a contrast between the pupil and the underlying brown color.
it actually makes the pupil smaller i think
and remember the the dark rim around the iris

I've been all over the net looking for one good image as a ref for this, and can't find anything.
Has ANYONE got a good image, from the movies, Empire would be the best, with a closeup of Yoda's eyes?
That would help here.

les here are a few i'm using for reference now:

new03.jpg

closepicsll3-1.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

Yup more brown needed. :lol

I'm going to "attempt" to simulate the burst effect from the pupil out this time around.

Les having a couple of your repaints on hand picks at me to ask this question.

What kind of brush do you use to paint the white under the iris between lower eyelid?

If you paint your whites last thats gotta be a helluva fine line.

Is this what you are referring to about the liner.....What do you think too strong?

DSC00331-1.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

Last edited:

that looks much better than with just the white, at least to me it does. its hard to tell without seeing it at 'normal size'. things always look overdone/inaccurate when you blow them up that large.... but for something of that scale? that certainly looks better to me

...but then i'm not les :bow, and he's the man to learn from lol

Hey Orbiting, It looks MUCH better to my eyes...no pun intended...:lol
GREAT job so far! Proud of ya bro.

As for brushes, I use a very small pointed one. VERY.
And you have to be careful the paint doesn't dry on it too fast....
Good job so far though.
Looks GREAT!

I finally had a chance to repaint the eyes yesterday and i still need to add the highlight around the outer rim and pupil.

I tried the burnt umber around the lids it was a little to brown to my eyes so i mixed it with some baltic green.The lids have a little more green than i can get in my pics but its there.

Les, i love the color of burnt umber thanks for the suggestion :D

I'm pretty happy with the factory paint apps on this medicom figure but will probably give him some light washes after these eyes.

Right track?

DSC00378.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

looks nice indeed.
maybe a very bright brownish orange in the center spurting outwards, like a sun.
and then put the black pupil over it, and you'll onyly see hints of that orange :)

dv-new-eye-road.jpg

Dude.... i wish i could duplicate that look in your pic at this scale. :monkey2

I tried yellow in it but came out a little strong.I did not think of orange have to try that out.

What are you thoughts on using a stipple style to do highlights (think more like flicks of color) around the pupil?

orbiting... those eyes look absolutely perfect now! And they have muych more character too. EXCELLENT work. Especially for the tiny scale that you're working in..... they really dont need to be any more detailed than that

:bow

Back