Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ATTENTION all Custom Artists!!

Yes indeedy he is, Brent!! And I should have a LOT of progress over Thanksgiving with my 4 day weekend. So keep an eye on this thread for the completed skin tones... hair, etc...

Glad you are liking it so far. :D

Figuremaster Les said:
Patience Grasshopper! :tap
For the lessons of the masters does not come easily within the whims of time constraints of the impatient! :lecture

Now, all that being said...hurry up Josh! :stick
:D

Ti Kwan Leep
Teacher: Approach, students. Close the circle at the feet of the master. You have come to me asking that I be your guide along the path of Ti Kwan Leep. But, be warned: To learn its ways, you must learn the ways of your own soul. Let us meditate upon this wisdom now. So: Aaaaaaooooommm......

Student1 (Ed Gruberman): Uh, sir! Sir! (oo! oo!) Sir!

Teacher: Who disturbs our meditation, as a pebble disturbs the stillness of the pond?

EG: Me! Ed Gruberman?

Teacher: E-Ed Gruberman?

EG: Yeah, uh, no disrespect or nothin', but, like, uh, how long is this gonna take?

Teacher: Ti Kwan Leep is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

EG: So like, what, an hour or so?

Teacher: No, no, we have not even begun upon the path. Ed Gruberman, you must learn patience.

EG: Yeah yeah yeah, patience. How long will that take?

Teacher: Time has no meaning. To a true student, a year is as a day.

EG: A YEAR??? I wanna beat people up right now! I got the pajamas! Hah woo yah ooomm!

Sorry for the off-topic but you just kinda made me think of it ;)

So, uh, Josh, are you ever gonna finish your tutorial? STILL waiting... :tap :tap :tap

:lol

Yeah, I know... slightly overdue....It's coming guys... I'm going to do an abreviated version, much quicker and with room for one's own artistic license to come into play. :D

can't believe I forgot about this thread.

Maybe (if i remember,lol) I'll post a photo tutorial of how I do things when I'm painting my Anakin or Obi sculpts (when I get round to painting them) Although there are better people than me to learn from here.

It's a great thread and a great idea. well done sir. :bow :clap :clap :bow

Thanks HA.... Yeah, it's tricky... Making a thread where we try and show people how we make our magic.... all while still keeping a few secrets and tricks to ourselves... It's a tightrope act.

The next step is tricky because it could be done a million different ways and the way I do it is so unorthodox and not set it stone that it makes describing it a little hard to do....:lol

But don't worry... updates soon!

Josh, why the secrets? It's not like we're going to be direct competition for you obviously talented painters here like Les, Hurricane and Customikey. Not everyone can master your artistic skills. I think the tutorial is beneficial to all of us "aspiring" customizers who simply want to learn to make improvements to the lacking paint aps on some of our figures by learning from the best. I think we will see more members of this board sharing their customs and repaints which are always enjoyable to see, an attraction of this board, and its always interesting to see someone's different take or idea on something. This site should be about sharing our customs and love for the hobby. Please do tell.

Well, I speak not really for myself... as I have no real "technique tricks"...:lol

With skin... I just alternate different shades of skin tone until I am satisfied. Hair and eyes.... basic techniques... But do not worrry, my friends... I will share it all. I have nothing to hide... just a mediocre artist making magic with smoke and mirrors...:D

DarkArtist81 said:
Well, I speak not really for myself... as I have no real "technique tricks"...:lol

With skin... I just alternate different shades of skin tone until I am satisfied. Hair and eyes.... basic techniques... But do not worrry, my friends... I will share it all. I have nothing to hide... just a mediocre artist making magic with smoke and mirrors...:D

WHAT!?!?!?!

You have no real "technique tricks"?!?!?

Then what is it you do exactly?

And, you are more than a mediocre artist.
As I see it, you are a quite well respected man here. Your work speaks for itself. And you do have your "tricks". Some of which are sacred. Share what you will, but keep to yourself those secret herbs and spices...if you get my drift.

Most of all this is trial by doing. I say, show us your attempts so far Decadent Dave, and anyone else that is desiring of "secrets" as they are fleeting and hard to learn. Share your attempts, the better for us to see and help you with. That is the true nature of learning.

decadentdave said:
Josh, why the secrets? It's not like we're going to be direct competition for you obviously talented painters here like Les, Hurricane and Customikey. Not everyone can master your artistic skills. I think the tutorial is beneficial to all of us "aspiring" customizers who simply want to learn to make improvements to the lacking paint aps on some of our figures by learning from the best.

Well Dave, about secrets.... They are mine to keep... And also those of the other artists here and to let those tricks out of the bag would take the magic away. It's also protecting my interests as well as the others... If everyone knew what made Ben and Jerry's so good, everyone's Ice Cream would taste the same....

And I don't know about you, but I like the variety...

Frankly, without beating around the bush... I feel like you have been pushing me far too hard on this subject. I started this thread to show people a peek behind the curtain, NOT to divulge every last technique in what we do. So please, unless you are willing to enjoy the peek I am giving, at my OWN pace, then I will be the first to say I refuse to post in this thread ever again and keep that peek a secret as well. :monkey1

I don't mean to be rude.... But it's been making me pretty angry as of late. Enjoy the peek or not... but don't rush it.

Sorry Josh, I wasn't trying to push you man. Just wanted to learn more. That's one of the reasons why I have been following the work of artists like you and the great Master Les. You guys do great work. No point in being snide about it bro.

decadentdave said:
Sorry Josh, I wasn't trying to push you man. Just wanted to learn more. That's one of the reasons why I have been following the work of artists like you and the great Master Les. You guys do great work. No point in being snide about it bro.

Really not trying to be... just wanting you to see where I was coming from. I seriously do appreciate that you like my work and I want to show you guys some of what I do... but you know I can't seriously give it all....

And that's cool Josh and I respect you and your work immensly. Please don't feel like I have been pressuring you, I was just very curious to see a step-by-step tutorial posted but I guess I'll just have to let experience be the great teacher.

decadentdave said:

I don't think he's being snide Dave, I think he might be feeling a bit defensive is all. I can agree with his feelings as I depend on this art for my very livlihood. THIS is my living. I have no regular job, nor a boss to rail at me when I do something wrong, or to commend me when I get it right. The only feedbacks I get, and perhaps Josh and some of the others as well, is right here.

It is flattering on one hand to have folks want to learn our methods. It is also a tad scary. Not that we are not confident in our art, I am, no one can take away what I have learned... it's just that it makes us feel special. AND, our techniques were not easily acquired. Mine weren't at any rate.

I can fully understand Josh's defensiveness. And, I can fully understand your desire to do this too. All makes sense.

Let's make this a sharing thread, and not a teaching thread. Share. Post pics of what you do, any of you, and let's all comment. THERE IS NO BAD ART! Only learned technique. I for one would never condescend on anyone's best efforts. Post pics of your attempts at repainting, and let me and Josh and others see it. We can tell you what to do in that regard, and with much more immediate results, than to keep showing what we do, that seems so mysterious. You know what you did, and you can learn to fix it if it needs fixing.

That sound ok? I'll post some in progress shots when I can. Josh should at least show a few final steps to finish his started line. But, I think you others should post too. Let's see what you've done!

Let's share!

I hear you Les but I just think it's kind of disappointing that Josh started this thread as a way to help share what he has learned with others and suddenly he feels the need to be so defensive about it.:confused: I understand that you guys are making money from your work, as you well deserve, but like I said before, I wouldn't feel threatened by those that do not have the natural talents that you guys do. I regret that I ever even asked in the first place.

decadentdave said:
I hear you Les but I just think it's kind of disappointing that Josh started this thread as a way to help share what he has learned with others and suddenly he feels the need to be so defensive about it.:confused: I understand that you guys are making money from your work, as you well deserve, but like I said before, I wouldn't feel threatened by those that do not have the natural talents that you guys do. I regret that I ever even asked in the first place.

Les said it all.... Exactly what I was feeling... though I was unable to word it in a way that didn't sound annoyed... I respect everyone here, yourself included Dave. I didn't mean to be a jerk and I sincerely apologize. I just wanted to let everyone know that there are secrets that must be withheld and couldn't be written into words even if we tried.

Hence, the skin technique... I could try and write it down as a step by step lesson, but it would not make any sense. I work in a frenzy when I do skin and it can take me a day or a week... I just layer on varying shades of tone until it looks right in conjunction with the actor's face or with the character.

Hair and eyes aren't mysterious at all, very easy.... but they take a lot of work and repeat attempts to get right. I really don't plan too far in advance when I paint I just let the brush do the talking.... But I will still do my best at a tutorial and finish what I started.

Again Dave, I apologize and hope that I did not ruin our friendship. :cool:

Personally Josh, I wouldn't apologise for anything except for your perhaps innocent and overzealous offer when you started this thread. You sort of put yourself, and me and some of the others maybe, in the unenviable position of having to show how we do what we do, when that is both, hard to do, and sometimes compromising.

That's all.

No one's done anything wrong here, much less you Josh. I feel you owe no one an apology.

And yes, I do sometimes feel threatened when the person wanting the info I have strived for so long, makes it an issue of pressure, even if no ill intent is there. If I had the secret to Coca Cola's syrup, and someone said, TELL ME, I would not be obliged to do so...if I hadn't said I would....
Josh, without any bad intent, said he would do just that, and that got Dave and others understandibly excited.

Again, no one is a villain. Let's find a way to get past this and share here.

And Josh, stop apologizing bro! When you apologize to anyone out there who wants to know how we do what we do, you apologize for all of us, and I feel no need for such actions. I make NO apologies for all the hard work and efforts and tough, mean criticism that brought me to where I am today. I rode that bucking bronco alone, and had no help other than to look and learn.

We can share. We can assist. We can show some tidbits of details and things, but please, don't ask us to lay our livlihoods out on the line so you can critique and have at us, and then let us have it for not being open enough.

Fair is fair! If I have to stand between Josh and the other artists, to protect some of our hard earned secrets from those that might use them as potential competition, then so be it! Words mean nothing! Saying you won't use this knowledge, or can't... is not assured. How can I/we know this?

Is it insecurity in our abilities that keeps these things secret? NO! It's a sense of Propriety! I OWN my abilities! They are MINE! To keep, sell, share, whatever I choose to do with them.
And they are for sure NOT TO BE pressured or coerced out of me.
And if I can help it, out of anyone else.

If I am wrong, then let's see who else is so eager to share what they have spent so long to learn?

I don't know that many of you that well. I hope many of you are indeed friends. Some of you are customers though, not just of myself. People who have paid for what has been done for you. Therefore, I personally owe you more than those that freely ask method and technique of me. I hope Josh can see this as well. We owe our customers and our constituents first. Those that endorse us with their hard earned cash in trade for our hard earned knowledge and abilities.

If we compromise all that we know, are we as necessary?
I wonder....

Does this make me greedy? I sure hope not! But, this is my livihood, and I will not give up more than I am able. If that answer irritates, then, for that, I apologise. But, I will not apologise for being careful with it. Nor should you Josh.

Maybe this thread is not as easy to fulfill and live up to as it originally appeared.
It takes a bit of understanding to know why an artist can get defensive about his or her work. These things mean all to us. Please try to understand this, and work with Josh and any others in this thread. It was meant as a kind interchange of creative aid and sharing. Let's please try to keep it that way.

I think all you guys can really do is show people the basics. Which is 'put brush in paint and apply to canvas'. That alone, to me, is the scary part, and, although I am reading this thread, I may never get to that point alone. By showing us, and taking the time to wash your hands and pic up a camera to take pics, it is an interruption to the process, of connecting soul to your art. I may never pick up a brush, but I can say 'thank youse' for giving me encouragement to do so, and taking away some of my fears, as I progress down my own road.

Experience is the big teacher. For me it's hard to jump in, cause I can't swim. That you show us the secrets, is, a fast track to our own success, something youse have had to do the hard way. Even so, telling us the pitfalls to watch out for, are the secrets experience has taught you. Never fear, knowing the pitfalls has never stopped anyone from falling into them. You can tell us how, but you can't teach us the things you learn by falling into them. There's always that zen factor, and the ability to think for yourself.

Thanks you guys for sharing. I apologise for posting without really adding anything relevant to this thread. I'll just read from now on, and maybe someday, have the nerve to apply paint.

I wave my magic wand and the figures are instantly painted and beautiful.

I hope I haven't said too much...:lol

I'm on the fence on this subject. I don't want to ruin the "Disney Magic" of how we do what we do, but at the same time, I wouldn't be where I am without other customizers sharing their techniques. And it's one thing to read about how to do it, and another thing to do it entirely. Not everyone can cook.

But really, I learn the most by looking at the pics everyone posts. And it's one of the reasons I picked up Josh's superb Jack Sparrow. I wanted to see how he does what he does, and apply his ideas to my own painting. And Les's pics have been a sustained master class in "how-to" for me. I am a very visual person, so it just helps me more to SEE the work than to read how it was done. And, in that regard, this forum and it's myriad threads, have been exemplary sources of constant information.

Just look at the work, and figure out for yourself how it was done. You learn more that way, and you create your own technique. I'd rather have it be my own way, than to simply copy someone else's technique anyway.

So, I guess the real answer is that, if the painter is so inclined, he could answer SPECIFIC question about "how-to" instead of just putting up a dry recipe. Because, really, there is no recipe. The technique evolves and changes with each successive project. There is only the tools you use, and the time you take.

Jesus. I tell more than I show these days. I need to go back to MY workbench...:emperor

Back