Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ATTENTION all Custom Artists!!

Figuremaster Les said:
Maybe this thread is not as easy to fulfill and live up to as it originally appeared.
It takes a bit of understanding to know why an artist can get defensive about his or her work. These things mean all to us. Please try to understand this, and work with Josh and any others in this thread. It was meant as a kind interchange of creative aid and sharing. Let's please try to keep it that way.

Thanks Les... And I have a habit of apologizing even when I know I'm right.... It's a sickness... I just feel bad too easily. :lol

But the paragraph I quoted above says it best.... This thread was meant to help and inform....Not to give directions and tell all.... :cool:

Customikey said:
Just look at the work, and figure out for yourself how it was done. You learn more that way, and you create your own technique. I'd rather have it be my own way, than to simply copy someone else's technique anyway.

So, I guess the real answer is that, if the painter is so inclined, he could answer SPECIFIC question about "how-to" instead of just putting up a dry recipe. Because, really, there is no recipe. The technique evolves and changes with each successive project. There is only the tools you use, and the time you take.

:bow:bow:bow:bow

Ditto!!!

DarkArtist81 said:
Again Dave, I apologize and hope that I did not ruin our friendship. :cool:
Thanks Josh. I was beginning to feel like I was asking too much of you. Nobody is forcing you to divulge anything. What you feel like sharing is entirely up to you and is always welcome here.

creecher said:
Experience is the big teacher. For me it's hard to jump in, cause I can't swim. That you show us the secrets, is, a fast track to our own success, something youse have had to do the hard way. Even so, telling us the pitfalls to watch out for, are the secrets experience has taught you. Never fear, knowing the pitfalls has never stopped anyone from falling into them. You can tell us how, but you can't teach us the things you learn by falling into them. There's always that zen factor, and the ability to think for yourself.
man, youre all over my POV Creech!

I dont do the customizing thing, but have been learning to sculpt. Ive been SO thankful for the many sculptors on the boards out there (esp Clubhouse) that bend over backwards to help the budding sculptors grow by answering their qustions and showing them techniques. There are guys on there who have worked in the industry for years and share their knowledge freely.
I attached a sample by Ralph (ToxicPapa) at the Clubhouse.
This guy wont hesitate a second to help out the noobs in any way he can. He's worked on projects for many movie studios (Jim Hensen for example) developing creatures' designs, sculpting etc. Ralph even mixes his own wax and sells it to board members and other sculptors. He goes out of his way to help others grow when he really doesnt have to.

These are the types I really look up to. The selfless kind who want to share everything they can with others around them so everyone can grow together as quickly as possible.
I understand that sometimes its tough to let go of techniques that have taken so much time to R&D and learn, but just imagine how grateful you yourself would have been had someone shown you those techniques ahead of time and sped up your growth as an artist. Thats exactly what you can provide to others who are at that stage now in their own development. You can be their mentor and teacher. That person who you wish taught you the shortcuts and ins and outs that you had to learn the hard way.

I also think, as someone mentioned earlier, that it also has to do with self confidence in their own work to a certain extent. In the past I didnt want to show everything I knew to people who asked me. Part of it was that I didnt want to let go of the things it had taken me huge amounts of time and practice to learn. Then I realized that was selfish of me to a certain extent and when i was truthful with myself i realized I was also afraid someone at a lower level than me may use what I showed them and take off and pass me in quality of work. Now say thats exactly what happens. Then that person could turn around and show you new techniques as well and, as a team, you can teach each other and grow at a much faster rate.

All that said, I do understand why some hold certain techniques/secrets to themselves. Especially if you do it for a living.
Just dont miss any opportunity to be the teacher for others you wish you had yourself.

and this is a good read for the topic too

:grouphug

and this is a WONDERFUL thread started for all the right reasons.
fill it up!
:chew

Great post Occulum!! I agree wholeheartedly... This thread started for exactly those reasons.... I was frustrated when I started painting figures... I could not seem to get much help and was not very knowledgeable of what "wash" or drybrush meant. I did not have a deep level of understanding the magic behind layering color.... It was lost on me.

So I had to learn the hard way, trial and error.

This thread was started to ease the pain of those who are starting out and wanted a little direction. Just because I can feel their pain and I want to help everyone as much as I can.

Like Morpheus to Neo... "I cannot walk the path for you, all I can do is show you the door." :cool:

If anything just to help people understand....

Okay - who can tell me how to cast, in resin, from super-sculpy, or point me to a good casting guide? Thank you!

Okay, got my first Art Buck body.

-Can I pop the head off safely?

-Best compound/tools for sculpting 1/6 heads?

-Paints

-I want to make a dream figure that has a snowball's chance in hell of ever being made. Something iconic, like Link from Zelda, Ryo from Shenmue, or even Frank Langella's Skeletor.

However, the biggest limiting factor is clothing. I can sculpt just about anything given enough time, but clothing is something I just cannot do on my own.

So, who I make depends greatly on the availability of ready made clothing and accessories.

Amanaman said:
Okay, got my first Art Buck body.

-Can I pop the head off safely?

-Best compound/tools for sculpting 1/6 heads?

-Paints

-I want to make a dream figure that has a snowball's chance in hell of ever being made. However, the biggest limiting factor is clothing. I can sculpt just about anything given enough time, but clothing is something I just cannot do on my own.

Cool Amanaman! Always good to see another person giving this hobby a chance! :D

Normally with SSC heads, you just boil them and they pop off. But with the Art Bucks, I think they are glued. So you might have to do a little surgery if you want to be rid of the head. Just heat it in boiling water for a minute and use an exacto to cut it off... but be careful...

As far a sculpting, any tools will do. I got mine at Michaels... a whole lot for about 10 bucks. So they are found at nearly any hobby shop, I'm sure. As for the material... I use Super Sculpey, but I know there are much better compounds out there... especially for heads.

As far as paint... see my earlier posts and that pretty much explains that.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask!! :D

Thanks for the tips! Is onesixthdepot a good store? They seem to have what I need.

To my delight, the feet pop out easily. If I sculpted shoes from scratch, using super sculpey, will they stay on the pegs? I'm assuming, if it's something like clay, I can push & rotate the rough sculpt into the peg until it assumes a good fit.

Amanaman said:
If I sculpted shoes from scratch, using super sculpey, will they stay on the pegs? I'm assuming, if it's something like clay, I can push & rotate the rough sculpt into the peg until it assumes a good fit.
I think that may be an issue. Most pieces made in sculpey are then cast in resin for such things I believe. Sculpey would probably crack and break.
Another alternative could be Aves Apoxie Sculpt. Its a 2 part apoxie that has about 3hr working time once mixed. It cures hard as a rock and would be much more resistant to cracking or breaking ...... if you dont plan on casting that is. Many use it on the inside of their sculpts to create a very strong armature and some use it on the outside similar to Martin Canale's technique.

I see. If sculpey is used strictly for sculptural purposes, and not for structure, then it shouldn't crack, right?

I think I'll just apply sculpy around Art Buck's feet, to preserve the most functionality.

In the future I look forward to make 100% from-scratch figures, so that'll mean making armatures!

I have a question. I would like to start getting into customizing figures myself as I have been inspired by a bunch of customs around here. And so this is my question, what do I need or need to know in order to get started?

Amanaman said:
I see. If sculpey is used strictly for sculptural purposes, and not for structure, then it shouldn't crack, right?
exactly.
sculpey is, as said earlier, clay-ish when baked. works great on a statue sitting on the shelf, but movement / wear and tear, may cause it to crack and break. It has no give to it.

Ok, finally...

PART 3:

When last I left you all we were working on skin tones. It's a really tricky thing, skin. You have to take into account the actor's skin tone, or the characters skin. You then take a lighter shade and a darker shade and alternate until you have the desired shade. At least that is how I do it. We all have different methods and ever tutorial out there has said something new... So just experiment until you are happy.

After the skin is resolved and I stop ripping my hair out... I can start the base hair.... First you find good reference for the character you are trying to represent. In this case it was Mustafar Anakin and Episode 3 Obi-Wan. So Anakin will have very dark hair to simulate the sweaty mop he had while fighting Obi. Obi-Wan will have a reddish-blonde hair set... So if you go from dark to light, as you should... Obi will have a dark red base and Anakin will have a very dark Brown base. This sets the tone and lets you have fun with layers upon layers of lighter shades to give it a nice realistic look.... :D

DSCN1473.jpg

DSCN1474.jpg

Tomorrow I will show you guys the next steps on the hair process, lightening and giving it depth. It's a tough process but in the end it produces wonderful results....

TBC

abstractharmony said:
Is this one mine Josh?

That's very cool!

Can't wait to see more pics.

Yes indeedy AH.... Still in the rougher stages, but he is coming along. I did a bit of burning last night and also some painting on the boots and glove. So the costume is nearly complete... just final touches and the head remain...

Part 4: Hair

Ok, now that we have the base hair on, we just need to give a few more layers. So I mix the proper shades needed.... For Obi, different degrees of reddish blonde.. 2 different ones, one medium and one lighter. I use a round tipped brush and do a little drybrushing of the medium shade (a reddish brown) over the entire area, hair and beard. Let this dry... And come again with the lightest shade, making sure your brush is nearly bone dry, and I hit the area again.

If done properly, you should have this....

DSCN1483.jpg

DSCN1484.jpg

Now for Anakin... I mix a regular brown and a lighter blondish-brown. Use the same drybrushing technique as with Obi-Wan and start with the medium and follow up with the light. But this time with the lighter shade, you only hit certain areas of the sculpt... Just the higher raised areas and the front on the sculpt. I don't know why it works so well, it just does.... I lightly brush on the back to give it uniformity, but very very light....

You should now have this...

DSCN1485.jpg

DSCN1486.jpg

Here are a few more views of the completed hair...

DSCN1487.jpg

DSCN1488.jpg

TBC

Back