Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not tried those... but what I have found to work better then "painting" them is to use fine tip prismacolor markers for the iris, and micron pens for the pupil.

Hey twik, thanks for the tip. Do you have any pics of the results? I think I'd do a lot better with these than a brush. Have been looking at both prismacolor and copic markers. Do you paint the whites? The prismacolor site says to avoid using on acrylic paints, but I imagine of it were dry it wouldn't be much of a problem.

I do not have any current heads with this technique. To be honest, I recently stumbled upon it, and have used it on 3 heads that I sold to a friend. Ill have an example for you in a few days though :).

As far as the order: paint the white/off white first. Then paint the iris color with the marker (fine tip). Then use the micron pen to paint the pupil. The prismacolor pens have no problem sticking to the white, just make sure it is dry first.

Hey guys,

Kinda didn't know where to ask this question but is there a list of members who do HOT TOYS custom commission work for fellow members?

Cheers!

Hey everyone, I know this question is probably asked a lot but what are the best tools, and materials for sculpting? (For cheap)

I'd love to learn and try to make a few HS. Thanks!
:wave

Hey guys so I've got a sideshow figure and I want too take the head off how do I go about taking it off as I don't want too break it. Thanks

Either heat it up with a hair dryer, or let it sit in a bowl of hot water and then it should be easy to take of without breaking it.

SirGor said:
What is the best method to strip the paint off head sculpts?

For plastic/vinyl heads like DML, BBI or Sideshow, I generally use cellulose thinners and an old toothbrush. (Ii's orrible stuff, so I wear gloves and eye protection and clean the sculpts outside).
If it's a resin sculpt, then you need to be careful, as certain stripping products can melt resin. This link might be of help: https://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?4952-FAQ-Stripping-Paint :)

I'm looking at the Hot Toys Bruce lee brown suit - but I need it to be green. Do the products Hot toys produce bleach and re-dye well? Is there anything special I should know about this process? Thanks for your help. I've never done any customizing before.

Anyone knows how Seb does his weathering effects? It looks so real, that sweaty effect, clothes dirty... really interesting.

I don't know about Seb but this is what I do.

Clothes: to dirty them up I used acrylic paints, brown and black shoe polish or real dirt.

I use sandpaper to make them look worn and then an exacto to make the tears and rips.

Sweaty effect: clear gloss varnish is what we both use. It works great. I did it to my Indy and Daryl figures so far.

Hi guys im new to the 1/6 scene and im doing a kitbash but i need to weather a couple weapons and some clothes but i have no idea how to or how to go around the weathering affect and i know theres some awesome artist on this forums so if anybody could give me some tips would help a lot ? any help would be appreciated a lot
cheers
guys
aaron

Hi guys im new to the 1/6 scene and im doing a kitbash but i need to weather a couple weapons and some clothes but i have no idea how to or how to go around the weathering affect and i know theres some awesome artist on this forums so if anybody could give me some tips would help a lot ? any help would be appreciated a lot
cheers
guys
aaron

I posted what I do a few posts up. It's all about practice, practice, practice. I use anything and everything to weather my items.

Clothes are simple but it takes time to master it. Dry brush them or get a sponge brush and dab it on some shoe polish and go to town. I will try and make a video and post it on here for some weathering techniques and supplies used.

I hadn't seen this thread,i must have skipped it.Anyway i have some questions too (NOTE:I'm making Booker and Elizabeth):

1)What paint shall i use?
2)What clay/sculpey shall i use?
3)What materials shall i use?
4)What bodies shall i use?
5)Are there any headsculpts i could use as a base?
6)I know that the type of sculpey most use is being baked.So my question is,how hard does it become after baking?Plastic hard or regular-clay-that brakes when it falls to the floor-hard? Also,if i sculpt a head from scratch what will i use as a base?
7)Should i add a primer (and what is it?) or something else?

Back